Morales 2341 Spring 2015 Class TTH discussion

The Cat in the Hat (The Cat in the Hat, #1)
This topic is about The Cat in the Hat
55 views
Introduction to Criticism > Dr. Seuss Not Just For Children

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lillian Morales (LillianMorales) | 41 comments Mod
Using one of the approaches to literature- psychoanalytic, mythological, sociological, or gender criticism- analyze a character/situation/ symbol/ theme from one of the assigned Dr. Seuss books for this course.

Try to avoid repeating the discussions posted by your classmates. In other words, if someone posted about the Grinch, choose another character or approach to write about.


message 2: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments In Dr.Suses book “The Sneetches” it seems like the sociological subliminal message is racism and/or prejudice. It seems relevant that this is the situation when the star bellied sneetches gloat about their appearance and explain that they are better or more desirable than the other sneetches because the star on their belly


Lillian Morales (LillianMorales) | 41 comments Mod
Gilbert wrote: "In Dr.Suses book “The Sneetches” it seems like the sociological subliminal message is racism and/or prejudice. It seems relevant that this is the situation when the star bellied sneetches gloat abo..."

Your response does not look like it meets the guidelines for all Discussions- 200-250 words in length. Please review group rules.


message 4: by Maria (last edited Jan 27, 2015 04:34PM) (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments In Dr. Seuss, Sneetches Sylvester McMonkey McBean seems to out smart the Sneetches because they were willing to spend all of their money to be different, than to get along with one another. And at the end they did not know who had stars and who did not. The moral of the story is who is to say what society should look like. Are people willing to spend all their money just to fit into society.


message 5: by Eric (last edited Jan 29, 2015 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eric | 75 comments By Eric De Leon
Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who, follows an elephant named Horton as he hears a tiny voice calling for help. He initially thinks this call is coming from a speck of dust heading towards a pool. Horton intervenes and places speck of dust on a clover and under his protection. Horton feels a tremendous sense of responsibility in protecting, what at this point is merely a speck of dust. Clearly, he falls into the hero and protector archetype when looking at this story from a mythological perspective. This point is demonstrated by Horton’s statement, “I’ve got to protect them, I’m bigger than they”. Horton then faces conflict with his peers, who initially start by ridiculing, but soon escalates to a confrontation in which the clover and speck of dust are taken away from Horton. Once Horton is reunited with the speck of dust, a tiny people called the “Who’s” are formally introduced into the story. Horton’s peers, which serve as adversarial archetypes in this story, are fed up with what they consider a farce and attempt to throw the dust containing the “Who’s” into boiling beezle-nut juice. It is at the climax of the story, that the most important theme of this story is explored. “Don’t give up! I believe in you all! A person’s a person, no matter how small! And you very small persons will not have to die if you make yourselves heard! So come on, now, and TRY!” exclaims Horton. The Who’s, united in one voice, do indeed manage to prove their existence and are able to save themselves. There are very strong socio-political undertones in the moral of this story. One could say that the “Who’s” are a representation of the common man, who individually, may not have any power, but only together, in a united voice, can they ultimately take control of their fates. The setting of this story takes place in a jungle. I believe Dr. Seuss uses this symbolic archetype to emphasize uncertainty and danger in the story, but also to represent in a more allegorical sense, a governmental system of which the common man, represented by the Who’s, are a part of. Horton and his cohorts represent the “big” people, or people in power. Horton is the only one to demonstrate a sense of innate responsibility. I think this is best represented by his ability to hear just one tiny voice, further demonstrating his nobility, where as his other peers only acted after the Who’s united and made themselves heard as one.


Joanna | 60 comments In how The Grinch Stole Christmas, the moral of the story is quite something we need to be remembered. A lot of people, specially kids, don't see the true meaning of Christmas all they think about is presents. In the story, the Grinch didn't understand why they celebrated Christmas and since he didn't know the meaning he decide to stop them from celebrating it after years. The decorations, the gifts, the food, all those things weren't really what Christmas was about, but being with the family in peace and merry. Now kids or parents look forward to celebrate Christmas for the presents and the food, and don't really pay attention of how the family comes together and celebrate as a whole the birth of baby Jesus, even though in the story of the Grinch they never talk about Jesus.


Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments In the story The Cat in The Hat it shows a lot of symbolism starting with the characters the cat in the hat and the fish. In the book you can tell how the fish is more conservative than the cat. Which is normal because in society I have seen that when people are raise in smaller cities become more conservative. Versus someone who has been raise in a bigger city or is always moving from city to city they usually become more liberal. In this case, the fish has always lived in a bowl of water which makes him a conservative character. While the cat in the hat seems like he has never had any rules in his life and has been everywhere doing fun things. Which gives him the character who is more liberal. Another thing about this book that got my attention was the fact that they kept on mentioning the mom only. This gives me an idea that there is no dad in the picture. I found that to be gender criticism and this author is not discriminating women at all. In fact he believes that women can do it all on their own and raise their children by themselves without the help of any man.


message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric Campos | 19 comments By:Eric Campos
In the story Horton hears a Who, its a about a elephant who hears noise coming from a spec of dust. He can't believe that something could live inside something so small. He also feel responsible to take care and protect the people inside the dust spec. I feel after reading this story that Horton, the elephant is playing a role of god or a higher being. Follow with me, if Horton is seen as God or a God then that would make the people on the spec just like the people on earth. As, he continues his journey their are others in Hortons' world trying to destroy the spec because they think it is foolish that he hears people in the spec. as this is going on the people inside the spec experience tragedy not know ing why all this is going. The people of who-ville cry out to Horton for help and protection. Just like when tragedy happens in our world we don't know why they happen but when they do we pray to a God for help and protection. Just like the people of who-ville do for Horton.


message 9: by Christa (last edited Jan 29, 2015 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christa Lopez | 24 comments In the story of the Sneetches, a predominant theme throughout the book from a sociological view seems to be about discrimination. However an underlying psychoanalytic theme in this story is learning self-acceptance, and that no person is any better or more special than you are. Dr. Seuss represents this theme through the use of Sylvester McMonkey McBean’s stars on/off machine. You see at first the non-star bellied Sneetches wanted so badly to be like the other Sneetches because the star bellied Sneetches treated them so poorly. However after Sylvester’s machine gave all of the Sneetches stars, the original star bellied Sneetches did not change their behavior towards them. Even when they all looked alike the two different groups still disagreed about who was better, and how to identify themselves apart from the rest. After arguing and going back and forth inside the stars on/off machine, the Sneetches could no longer remember which kind of sneetch was better. All of the Sneetches realized that “…Sneetches are Sneetches, and no kind of Sneetch is the BEST…” From the very beginning the stars on the Sneetches’s bellies is what divided them, but eventually it was the work of the star’s on/off machine that was able to bring all of the Sneetches together. The original non-star bellies Sneetches had learned to value themselves even after being treated badly for so long by the other Sneetches, and every star bellied Sneetch learned that they were no more special than any other Sneetch on the beach.


message 10: by Jesus (new) - added it

Jesus Medina | 37 comments In The Cat In The Hat, I believe that the cat and the fish are both symbols of good and bad. The fish being the good one because he wants to keep order in the house and not cause a mess or any kind of trouble. The cat would be the bad that he has no consideration for any mess that he makes and even putting himself and others in danger. There is also gender criticism because they only mention the mom. I believe that the author only mentions the mom because the mom is the one that takes care and races that children. The father is more of a provider so his usually never home. Like they say mom means business while dad you can get away with things. In a way I do believe that the author is doing gender classification, where mom is a stay at home mom and the dad is out working to make sure that his family is being provided for.


message 11: by Risa.Garcia (new)

Risa.Garcia | 33 comments Throughout the literary piece, The Cat in the Hat", Dr. Seuss reveals a much larger message about society than I had originally received when I first read this story; in which can definitely be criticized from a sociological perspective. To begin, the cat in the hat very obviously portrays a troublesome character. In fact through this character, Dr. Seuss provides basic examples of the influential people amongst his readers. A main example, the cat in the hat easily persuades both children into actions they are aware are not acceptable while their mother is out of the house. With this been stated, the fish in this story may be analyzed as a symbol; both children were constantly reminded of the right thing to do by this character. Specifically when being influenced by the cat in the hat. The fish continually stated no; for example, when the children first pondered how to handle the situation of an unexpected guest, the fish said, "No! No! Make that cat go away!...". Dr. Seuss uses the fish character to symbolize one's conscience. Especially in today's society, we know the decisions we should be making yet ignore our conscience to do the things we know are no good for us. The situation the children are left in at the conclusion of the literary piece, "The Cat in the Hat" is one directly associated with society and as Dr. Seuss' audience leaves, he leaves us with the option as well. After engaging in unacceptable actions, we are always faced with the ability to be honest; "Well...What would you do if your mother asked you?". The theme of, "The Cat in the Hat", is making decisions and can therefore be looked upon as responsibility. I believe Dr. Seuss did so as the result of a similar past event that he used his literary skills to portray with this literary work. All in all, this is a direct example of the affects society had in him because of the event.


Yadira Estrada | 48 comments In Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Dr. Seuss resembles the good and the bad of how people can be. It gives a message on how we need to enjoy our friends and family not only for actual satisfaction that only bring a brief moment of satisfaction or joy to us. It gives you an eye opener on how to love one another no matter how they act and who they’re. The Grinch think that the citizens of Whoville only care of the value of the presents so he steals the presents so the citizens of Who Ville will feel miserable. What the Grinch doesn’t know that Who Ville citizens don’t care about material things because they care and appreciate their people no matter who they are or what they look like. It teaches us the importance of being united and standing together no matter where you come from. The Grinch learns a lesson on how wrong he was. He was an adopted kid but like I said earlier no matter where you come from or who you are people will care and appreciate you no matter what. Who-ville always stood together "he hadn't stopped Christmas from coming, it came." The Grinch was selfish and he only cared about himself but the people from Who ville changed his mind.


Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments The theme of Horton Hears a Who can be analyzed from a sociological perspective. As I perceived it, the constant reiteration that "a person's a person no matter how small" and Horton's unwavering determination to protect the small Whos can be symbolic of the topic of abortion. Horton chose to stand for what he believed and protected the speck and the small creatures living on it despite the fact that the rest of the jungle, specifically the kangaroo, believed him to be crazy. Even when they tried to discourage him, he kept his promise to protect the Whos. Probably due to the fact that the rest of the jungle had not heard the speck "speak" as Horton had, they found it impossible that any small creatures could be living on the speck and went as far as to snatch the speck from Horton and toss it into a field of millions of clovers to stop Horton. Similarly, pro-choice advocates sometimes argue that a fetus in the womb is not a human being until it develops a heartbeat. Then the Whos shout in unison and the kangaroo and the rest of the jungle finally hear them and are convinced that indeed there are tiny creatures living on the speck and that is symbolic of the fetus developing a heartbeat and, therefore, having as much a right to life as any other human being. “Please don’t harm all my little folks, who have as much right to live as us bigger folks do!”


message 14: by Miguel (last edited Jan 29, 2015 12:11PM) (new)

Miguel | 42 comments From a sociological perspective in Dr. Seuss's Horton Hears a Who, can be analyzed that the kangaroo symbolizes a group of people with the most power. "With the help of the Wickersham Brothers and dozens of Wickersham uncles and Wickersham cousins and Wickersham in-laws, whose help I’ve engaged, you’re going to be roped! And you’re going to be caged!", this quote from the story demonstrates how the kangaroo has the ultimate decision over Horton's freedom. Horton also represents a higher part of society with power but not as much as the society that the kangaroo represents because he is given an opportunity to prove that the who's exist before they are thrown in a hot steaming kettle of oil. The who's represent the majority of society with less power and in order to make some change and for their voice to be heard they must all participate in their movement. "So, open your mouth, lad! For every voice counts", this quote from the story is when the major found the lad not participating in the movement and told him that his voice is very valuable. After that, the lad shouted out and the kangaroo finally heard them. This clearly demonstrates that in order to make change and for the majority of society with less power to be heard, every person must participate. "From now on, I’m going to protect them with you", the kangaroo made this statement which demonstrates that she understood the concept of a 'person is a person no matter how small' like Horton did after she noticed that the who's where real. There where many of the who's in a little peck of dust but since they were heard and not thrown to boil, it means that the who's, also had a kind of power but they just need larger amounts of people to make their voice count.


Jessica Perez | 72 comments In the story Horton Hears a Who by Dr. Seuss, Horton faintly hears a noise in the Jungle of Nool. He stops what he was doing to listen carefully and suddenly he hears it again. Hes out of believe because the noise he is hearing is from a spec of dust; but how could that be if it is so small he questions himself. Either way, Horton places the spec of dust in a clover so it can be safe of harm. But just as he places them in the soft clover, Mrs. Kangaroo and her baby kangaroo arrive to murmur, “Why, that speck is as small as the head of a pin. A person on that?... Why, there never has been!” But Horton desperately believes that a person and many others live in the small spec of dust. He tries his best to save them but the Whicherksham brothers snactched the clover from Horton and send Vlaid-i-koff to get rid of it. However, Horton was persistent in finding the Who’s, which he does at the end. When I think about how persistent Horton is trying to help and protect the spec of dust from the evil animals in the jungle, it reminds me that we should never give up in a situation no matter how mean someone can be. If we know what we are doing is right, don't back down. It just like bullying. We should fight for what is wrong and not let people especially students be bullied around. They need to understand that we are all equal and at the end of the day we are all human beings. “ A person’s a person, no matter how small!”


Jesus M Manzanares | 64 comments In the story the sneetches, the mythological object that Dr. Seuss uses in this story would be the stars that are located on the bellies of the sneetches. The star bellied sneetches seem to be the bullies in this story since they don’t accept the other sneetches that do not possess a star on their bellies. The star bellied sneetches thought they were the best sneetches in the beaches because they had stars in their bellies which made them different. When the star bellied sneetches had parties or played sports they never invited the plain bellied sneetches because they did not had a star on their bellies. Then one day Sylvester Mcmonkey Mcbean arrived to the beaches to make an offer to the starless sneetches in which he offered them a star on their bellies for only three dollars each. After he gave the starless bellied sneetches stars then the first star sneetches wanted their stars removed because they did not wanted to be like the other sneetches and that is how they spent the rest of the day trying to make them unique by adding and removing the stars on their bellies. At the end of the story the sneetches were all mixed up and did not knew who the first star sneetches were because without the stars on their bellies they were all the same. The theme of this story is that an object does not make you better than anyone else because at the end we are all the same.


message 17: by Yuri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yuri Sandoval | 64 comments In “How The Grinch Stole Christmas,” a mythological criticism, the story is about redemption, the situation is good and evil, and symbolizes dark for the malicious thoughts of the Grinch, light for the happiness of Who-ville, and the heart demonstrating the change of emotions and feelings the Grinch has. The Grinch, the villain, didn’t like Christmas because he had a heart two sizes too small meaning he didn’t care much and was fill with hate and evil. Everything made him upset. He was angry as he watched Who’s town decorating and getting ready for Christmas. He had an urge to stop Christmas because he hated all the riot of the Whos; kids making noise with their new toys, gathering for a huge feast, and the singing. The evil Grinch decided to ruin their Christmas by stealing every toy, stocking and food from Who-vill. Little did he know that his heart was going to grow the moment he realizes Christmas was not the way he thought. Even with his wrongdoing he did not ruin Christmas for Who-ville. The Grinch was surprise the moment he did not hear sadness but instead Who-vill was very merry. After a moment of shock, he understood he did not steal Christmas after all. Christmas was not about the items he stole but a good feeling and sense of community that lives inside all the Whos and nothing he would do would take their spirit away. At that moment his heart grew three sizes and winds up redeeming himself by returning all the gifts and even ends up joining in the festivities.


message 18: by Yuri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yuri Sandoval | 64 comments Jesus wrote: "In The Cat In The Hat, I believe that the cat and the fish are both symbols of good and bad. The fish being the good one because he wants to keep order in the house and not cause a mess or any kind..."

Jesus I agree with your opinion how the author does make gender classification. Moms are known to stay home and worry about their children but now a days that has change in many ways. The story was a little funny to me in the way that I imagined myself being the fish. I am always trying to keep everything in control and organize in my home when ever my kids begin making a mess.


message 19: by Erick (new)

Erick Adrian  Lopez | 55 comments By Erick Lopez

The story about the “THE SNEETCHES “takes place in today’s society. The story talks about racism or discrimination, something that maybe not everyone has experience but seen. On the story, the sneetches that have stars on their bellies are the “cool” guys. They conclude their superiority from all other sneetches just because they are a little different than the others. As the story goes , the stall- bellied sneetches separate from the “regular or average “ sneetches, because they are superior. Starr-bellied sneetches cannot interact with plain- bellied sneetches , not even talk to each other. This is in fact a true real life illustration for the early 60s, as back then, colored people where totally excluded from interacting with white people. Colored people were segregated from every single public place from white people. The story reflects natural human behavior, as we want to be dominant. From my prospective, discrimination will be always part of humanity, it will never go away. Everyone has discriminated someone, maybe not that mean full as back then, but in some way. Think about the way our society lives, everything is about being different form the rest. Everyone wants to be special or unique, by using most expensive clothes or having the nicest car, it is part of us. At the end, it does not matter if someone looks different; we are all the same form inside.


message 20: by ChristinaMarie (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments From a sociological perspective, the Grinch from “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” demonstrates anger, bitterness and is definitely anti-social. He doesn’t believe in Christmas and doesn’t want to allow anyone to be merry. He keeps to himself and tries to ruin everyone’s happiness and Christmas. He steals the presents, decorations and a lot of other stuff to prevent who-ville from celebrating. One day he realizes that he has a heart and he suddenly becomes warm inside. He feels bad for what he has done and decides to return everything at the last minute. All the lights come back on, all the presents are returned, and everyone is merry again. All of who-ville starts signing songs as they are thankful for the return of Christmas and the Grinch celebrates along with them as well.


Ricardo Mendez | 63 comments The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss, in a sociological perspective, is a story about class struggle. Mcbean is an educated person who has the knowledge not only to see an opportunity to take advantage of the Sneetches, but also to create an elaborate star removing machine. He is introduced into the story riding in his “ strange car” highlighting that he is a person of wealth, representing the wealthy bourgeois. The Sneetches, who represent the proletariat, are naive and unlearned and do not realize that they are being taken advantage of. Mcbean takes advantage of the Sneetches desires by using his knowledge and money to build the star removing machine. Once Mcbean has taken as much money as he can from the Sneetches, he shows his contempt toward the Sneetches by saying “they will never learn, you can’t teach a Sneetch”. In conclusion, Dr. Seuss returns to the theme of knowledge by stating, “Mcbean was quite wrong... the Sneetches got smarter that day.” Finally, from knowledge, the Sneetches were able to forget about the possession of stars on their bellies and realize that they had been robbed due to their ignorance. The Sneetches, in a sociological perspective, portrays that with knowledge the underprivileged can avoid being deceived by the privileged.


message 22: by Janetrendon (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments In Dr. Seuss’s “The sneetches” from a sociological point of view, there seems to be a racial issue in the story. Star bellied sneetches thought they were the best on the beach compared to the plain bellied sneetches. Whenever they would pass them by they just held there head up high and kept on walking. The star bellied sneetches would throw parties and not invite the plain bellied sneetches,leaving them to feel left out. The plain bellied sneethces wanted to have stars on their bellies so bad, they were willing to just about anything to be like the star bellied sneethces. Yes, even pay to get it on them. One day as the star bellied sneetches were doing their thing, Sylvester McMonkey McBean had a machine to help out the plain bellied sneetches get stars on their belly. He charged each plain bellied sneetch three bucks, once they had stars on their belly they went over to the star bellied sneethces and said hey we have stars just like you, of course the star bellied sneetches said no we are still better then you. Mc bean said” What you need is a trip through my stars-off machine.
This wondrous contraption will take off your stars,
so you won't look like Sneetches who have them on thars."” Tricking the sneetches into paying ten dollars this time only wasting all their money on trying to fit in or be perfect. When in reality it never mattered anyweays, once all the sneetches had used up their money he took off laughing and said, “"They never will learn; no, you can't teach a Sneetch!"” The sneetches didn’t even care after words they ended up being happy with whom they were. Dr. Suess was trying to get a sociological point across here that everyone in the end is equal, even if they were born different.


message 23: by Perla (new)

Perla Pantoja | 17 comments In the book, “The Cat in the Hat” by Dr. Seuss two kids are having a boring day because of the weather outside accompanied with their fish while their mother is out. The Cat in the Cat suddenly comes in wanting to do tricks, but their fish tells them it is not right. The Cat makes fun of the fish by doing tricks with him until he falls and does a mess. The Cat then bring Thing One and Thing Two who just make a bigger mess with their tricks. All throughout the fish tells them it is not right, but until the end the kids start noticing the mess and trap both Thing One and Thing Two and demand them to get out. The fish represents the good because he just wants the kids to behave. The Cat represents the bad side because with his tricks he’s making a mess that will eventually get them in trouble with their mother. Plus he also brings thing one and two to make a bigger mess. Luckily at the end he brings his machine to clean up all his mess. The kids now realize they should have listen to the fish from the beginning.


message 24: by Maria (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments Eric wrote: "By:Eric Campos
In the story Horton hears a Who, its a about a elephant who hears noise coming from a spec of dust. He can't believe that something could live inside something so small. He also feel..."

hello,Eric You have a good point that you made. Horton is taking on a motherly role by protecting the speck from the others who do not believe him.


message 25: by Maria (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments Joanna wrote: "In how The Grinch Stole Christmas, the moral of the story is quite something we need to be remembered. A lot of people, specially kids, don't see the true meaning of Christmas all they think about ..."
Hello Joanna, It is true what you mentioned about Christmas. It has become more commercialized and people have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas.


Jessica Perez | 72 comments Gilbert wrote: "In Dr.Suses book “The Sneetches” it seems like the sociological subliminal message is racism and/or prejudice. It seems relevant that this is the situation when the star bellied sneetches gloat abo..."

Gilbert, your point of view in the story Sneetches is great. The sneetches with the stars were being prejudice to the once without stars.


Jessica Perez | 72 comments Arlette.Cortez wrote: "In the story The Cat in The Hat it shows a lot of symbolism starting with the characters the cat in the hat and the fish. In the book you can tell how the fish is more conservative than the cat. Wh..."

Hi Arlette, you make a great point of gender classification, since the mother is the only one in the picture. Indeed mothers or single mothers can do lots on their own.


Joanna | 60 comments Risa wrote: "Throughout the literary piece, The Cat in the Hat", Dr. Seuss reveals a much larger message about society than I had originally received when I first read this story; in which can definitely be cri..."

Hi Risa, I say the Cat was kind of the bad person. The kids knew what was right, and making a mess and misbehaving is not. The fish was that voice the kids knew was the correct thing to do, yet the temptation of the cat kind of took over.


message 29: by Joanna (last edited Jan 29, 2015 06:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joanna | 60 comments Erick wrote: "By Erick Lopez

The story about the “THE SNEETCHES “takes place in today’s society. The story talks about racism or discrimination, something that maybe not everyone has experience but seen. On the..."


Hi Erick, I like the ending of your comment and it relates to the story. The people in todays society always try to be the best or above everyone els, even if they don't show it. They either want to look better and that makes us buy clothe and accessories, some of us want to smell the nicest so be buy perfumes and colognes, and so on. At the end what matters most is what's inside, because people that have made history are remembered because of their thoughts and changes in the world not because of their appearance or race.


message 30: by Eric (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eric | 75 comments Jaqueline wrote: "The theme of Horton Hears a Who can be analyzed from a sociological perspective. As I perceived it, the constant reiteration that "a person's a person no matter how small" and Horton's unwavering d..."

I really enjoyed your interpretation! I did my discussion on "Horton Hears a Who" as well and came away with a different take. However, I thought your interpretation was just as valid. Even as I re-read my own essay I applied your take on it and your theory fit in nicely.


message 31: by Eric (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eric | 75 comments Jessica wrote: "In the story Horton Hears a Who by Dr. Seuss, Horton faintly hears a noise in the Jungle of Nool. He stops what he was doing to listen carefully and suddenly he hears it again. Hes out of believe b..."

Hi Jessica. Looks like we both agree, that if you have the power to help someone in need, you should try. This hits close to home for me.


message 32: by Jesus (new) - added it

Jesus Medina | 37 comments Eric wrote: "By Eric De Leon
Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who, follows an elephant named Horton as he hears a tiny voice calling for help. He initially thinks this call is coming from a speck of dust heading towar..."

I agree with your statement, Dr. Suses does use different types of archetypes.


message 33: by Jesus (new) - added it

Jesus Medina | 37 comments Christina wrote: "From a sociological perspective, the Grinch from “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” demonstrates anger, bitterness and is definitely anti-social. He doesn’t believe in Christmas and doesn’t want to a..."

This is a very good example of sociological perspective. It does seem the Grinch was very anti-social and that's why he didn't want the who's to have a good time.


Yadira Estrada | 48 comments Yuri wrote: "In “How The Grinch Stole Christmas,” a mythological criticism, the story is about redemption, the situation is good and evil, and symbolizes dark for the malicious thoughts of the Grinch, light for..."

Yuri, I also wrote about how the grinch stole christmas.The grinch was so heartless but you're right that he saw that he wasn't able to steal christmas because the community was united.


Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments Christina wrote: "From a sociological perspective, the Grinch from “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” demonstrates anger, bitterness and is definitely anti-social. He doesn’t believe in Christmas and doesn’t want to a..."


Yes Christina I agree with your point of view this book can be view in sociological perspective. It demonstrates how the Grinch is so anti-social and bitter. I can also compared it with today’s society. Now a days when someone is not normal looking people tend to distance themselves from others. You can also analyze this book through a psychoanalytic perspective and talk about how the Id took pleasure on stealing all the presents and decorations from Who-ville. But once the Grinch discover he had a heart the super ego makes the Grinch feel bad and that is why the Grinch return everything back and merry everyone in Who-ville again.


message 36: by Jaqueline (last edited Jan 30, 2015 09:25AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments Gilbert wrote: "In Dr.Suses book “The Sneetches” it seems like the sociological subliminal message is racism and/or prejudice. It seems relevant that this is the situation when the star bellied sneetches gloat abo..."

Hey, Gilbert, I definitely agree with your interpretation. I also think it's interesting how the original Star Bellied Sneetches continued to be the "superior" Sneetches after they removed their stars to distinguish themselves. One could say the problem lied within the originally Star-less Sneetches - agreeing that the Star Bellied Sneetches were better and following them every time they added or removed stars.


message 37: by ChristinaMarie (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments Jessica wrote: "In the story Horton Hears a Who by Dr. Seuss, Horton faintly hears a noise in the Jungle of Nool. He stops what he was doing to listen carefully and suddenly he hears it again. Hes out of believe b..."

Great post Jessica! If only other people would think like you in the sense that we shouldn't bully and do what is right. Even if the person is mean, we shouldn't do wrong and be like them. It's important to make a difference.


Jesus M Manzanares | 64 comments Jaqueline wrote: "The theme of Horton Hears a Who can be analyzed from a sociological perspective. As I perceived it, the constant reiteration that "a person's a person no matter how small" and Horton's unwavering d..."
hi jaqueline, i just saw the story from your perspective and it makes sense. I hadn't tought about abortion the first time i read horton hears a who.


Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments Maria wrote: "In Dr. Seuss, Sneetches Sylvester McMonkey McBean seems to out smart the Sneetches because they were willing to spend all of their money to be different, than to get along with one another. And at ..."

Hello, Maria. Your interpretation is very interesting. I think it really applies to us today because more and more people are looking for ways and are willing to pay large amounts of money to change themselves to fit into the beauty norms that really have been perpetuated by the media. But, like you said, who's to say what everyone should look like or what is or isn't beautiful?


Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments Janetrendon wrote: "In Dr. Seuss’s “The sneetches” from a sociological point of view, there seems to be a racial issue in the story. Star bellied sneetches thought they were the best on the beach compared to the plain..."


Janet I totally agree with you. The book “The Sneetches” written by Dr.Seuss’s can be view through a sociological point of view because it does look like there is a racial problem. Not only that but you can also compare it to society now a days especially here in the U.S people love to spend their money on stupid things just to feel good with themselves and show them off. I like how you mention Dr. Seuss main point that all people should be treated equal no matter I there are born different.


message 41: by ChristinaMarie (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments Miguel wrote: "From a sociological perspective in Dr. Seuss's Horton Hears a Who, can be analyzed that the kangaroo symbolizes a group of people with the most power. "With the help of the Wickersham Brothers and ..."

Nice point of view Miguel! The more voices that speak up, the more power no matter how little they may be.


message 42: by Janetrendon (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments Eric wrote: "By:Eric Campos
In the story Horton hears a Who, its a about a elephant who hears noise coming from a spec of dust. He can't believe that something could live inside something so small. He also feel..."


I agree with you Eric though you forgot to mention if the story was coming from a sociological, or mythological approach. I defiantly see where you are coming from where Horton may be seen as a God, here on earth when something goes wrong we tend to seek God.


message 43: by Erick (new)

Erick Adrian  Lopez | 55 comments Christa wrote: "In the story of the Sneetches, a predominant theme throughout the book from a sociological view seems to be about discrimination. However an underlying psychoanalytic theme in this story is learnin..."
This story made me think about how our society is. The story reflects our human behavior, since no other living being in the planet behaves like that. Our society is all but equality; everyone wants to be coolest person. In real life just like in the story ,there’s people that takes advantage of this situation about being unique. Take a look at McMonkey McBean and his machine. He sell segregation, just as the luxury clothes companies in our society.


message 44: by Janetrendon (last edited Jan 30, 2015 10:28AM) (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments Jesus wrote: "In The Cat In The Hat, I believe that the cat and the fish are both symbols of good and bad. The fish being the good one because he wants to keep order in the house and not cause a mess or any kind..."
I see where you are coming from Jesus, the fish is good and the cat is bad. He is the temptation to be reckless in this story, The fish only wants to do what is right. There is gender roles used in "The Cat in the Hat",when they only use the mom. In real life this may be true , Mom is usually at home cooking, and cleaning up after the kids while dad is out working


message 45: by Erick (new)

Erick Adrian  Lopez | 55 comments Miguel wrote: "From a sociological perspective in Dr. Seuss's Horton Hears a Who, can be analyzed that the kangaroo symbolizes a group of people with the most power. "With the help of the Wickersham Brothers and ..."

It is true that our society works just like in the story. We live in a world where the riches or the most powerful people make the decisions. Our society works like that, we want to dominate others. All these stories reflect our human behavior , is all about being powerful, different and dominant.


message 46: by Risa.Garcia (new)

Risa.Garcia | 33 comments Arlette.Cortez wrote: "In the story The Cat in The Hat it shows a lot of symbolism starting with the characters the cat in the hat and the fish. In the book you can tell how the fish is more conservative than the cat. Wh..."

Hello Arlette! I too chose to analyze "The Cat in the Hat", so I can definitely agree on many of the issues you pointed out. For example, after reading how you compared what you believed the cat and the fish symbolized, I saw the story from a who new perspective. This adds to the sociological approach I mentioned in my disscussion. I had not looked at them in that matter so I'm glad you pointed that out!


message 47: by Risa.Garcia (new)

Risa.Garcia | 33 comments Ricardo wrote: "The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss, in a sociological perspective, is a story about class struggle. Mcbean is an educated person who has the knowledge not only to see an opportunity to take advantage of th..."

Hi Ricardo! I must say I really enjoyed reading your discussion. Although I have no main points to bring to your attention distinctively about the context of your discussion, I did want to say I liked that way you organized your thoughts throughout your writing. I especially liked that way you referred back to the story; great job!


Ricardo Mendez | 63 comments Janetrendon wrote: "In Dr. Seuss’s “The sneetches” from a sociological point of view, there seems to be a racial issue in the story. Star bellied sneetches thought they were the best on the beach compared to the plain..."

I enjoy The Sneeches and you bring up so good points about equality in your post. Every time i think of the stars on the bellies of the sneeches i think of the holocaust now.


Ricardo Mendez | 63 comments Maria wrote: "In Dr. Seuss, Sneetches Sylvester McMonkey McBean seems to out smart the Sneetches because they were willing to spend all of their money to be different, than to get along with one another. And at ..."
The idea of consumerism in the story is something i find really interesting in the story. I agree that there is alot of people today that would waste large amounts of money to try to stay in with the trends.


message 50: by Miguel (new)

Miguel | 42 comments Perla wrote: "In the book, “The Cat in the Hat” by Dr. Seuss two kids are having a boring day because of the weather outside accompanied with their fish while their mother is out. The Cat in the Cat suddenly c..."

You're right the cat represents bad which can be temptation and the fish represents good which can be conscience. The kids are the ones being tempted by the cat to do fun things which can have a consequence. The fish is the one to remind them that they might get in trouble with their mother. During the story, both kids struggle to decide who to listen, the cat or the fish.


back to top