Morales 2341 Spring 2015 Class MW discussion

The Cat in the Hat (The Cat in the Hat, #1)
This topic is about The Cat in the Hat
33 views
Introduction to Criticism > Dr. Seuss Not Just For Children

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lillian Morales (LillianMorales) | 46 comments Mod
Using one of the approaches to literature- psychoanalytic, mythological, sociological, or gender criticism- analyze a character/situation/ symbol/ theme from one of the assigned Dr. Seuss books for this course.

Try to avoid repeating the discussions posted by your classmates. In other words, if someone posted about the Grinch, choose another character or approach to write about.


message 2: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Torres | 72 comments We can analyze the story The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss from a mythological point of view. The Star Belly Sneetches are the villians or the evil in the story. Star Belly Sneetches believe that they are higher class than the Plain Belly Sneetches because they have a star on their bellies. Stars represent distant or unattainable things. In this case, the Plain Belly Sneetches hopes of fitting in with the Star Belly Sneetches are unattainable. The Star Belly Sneetches are also very distant towards the Plain Belly Sneetches just as the star on their bellies represent. Plain Belly Sneetches are considered to be the outcast in this story. They exclude Plain Belly Sneetches from all their activities. Sylvester McMonkey McBean was the trickster in the story. He suggested that the Plain Belly Sneetches put stars on their bellies to be like the Star Belly Sneetches. Sylvester McMonkey McBean offers to put stars on their bellies for the fee of 3 dollars. In number symbolism the number 3 is considered to be a very magical number. This number fits well because the star was magically put onto their bellies. But then he turns around and offers to remove the stars off the Star Belly Sneetches to set them apart from the Plain Belly Sneetches that had put stars on their bellies. The trickster in a story tricks to get his or her own way just like Sylvester McMonkey McBean did to both the Star Belly and Plain Belly Sneetches. In this story we see the archetypal situation of the unhealable wound. The Plain Belly Sneetches were so tired of being excluded by the Star Belly Sneetches that they went to drastic measures to be accepted by the Star Belly Sneetches.


message 3: by Shanda (new)

Shanda Brunson | 64 comments I believe we can analyze "The Cat in the Hat" from a mythological point of view. The Cat is the representation of the prankster archetype. The Cat is very confident in showing all of his tricks to the children and brags that he can do it all. When really all of his tricks turn out to be disasters. The fish in the bowl is the voice telling the children no, no you should not be doing these things while your mother is out of the house. The fish is representing the authority of what is right and wrong. The fish has no success in convincing the children in going along with his wishes. The children were bored with the rainy day and the cat in the hat came along and was entertaining them. Even though the Cat had caused havoc in their home the children did not say stop they were being entertained for the day.The children waited until the end to stop the cat and gain control again. In the end the cat restores order to the home before the mother returns and the home looks as if nothing has happened. So the mother asks the children "So what did you do?" "Did you have fun?" the book ends before the children respond. Let's remember the cat's final words to the children are he can return. This represents that rules can be changed and broken very quickly.


message 4: by Monique (last edited Jan 26, 2015 06:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Monique Freitag | 53 comments The story of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” can be analyzed in a mythological criticism point of view. The main character, the Grinch, can be seen as the archetypal “villain turned good”.

The Grinch spends most of the story being negative and hating the Christmas season and everything and everyone involved. He stops at nothing to destroy Christmas for the citizens of Who-ville by stealing all their Christmas presents and decorations.

His smaller than normal heart is a symbol of negativity. The citizens of Who-ville singing despite the Grinch’s wicked acts against them, can be seen as a symbol of positivity.

In the end, the people of Who-ville’s positivity and their singing opened the Grinch’s eyes and showed him what Christmas was really about. This display made him have a change of heart resulting in him undoing all the damage he inflicted.
Even though he started out as the villain, a chain of events led him to be the good guy.


message 5: by Suzette (last edited Jan 26, 2015 07:54PM) (new) - added it

Suzette Sanchez (slelysanchez) | 53 comments "The Lorax" takes place in a forest, where the colors are bright orange and surrounding are beautiful flowers and trees, whish represents happiness. It also takes place in a small town called Thneedville. The archetypes in this movie would be The Lorax(mentor,with the body of a little orange monster) who is the gaurdian of the Forest, who narrarates the movie, and The Once-ler(rebel turned to initiator). The Onclers attitude was rebelious, not listening to the Lorax when the Lorax told him not to cut down the Trees to make thneeds. The animals & humans need the Trees.You see, the Once-ler wanted to create a business, that is why he left home, his parents would tell him he would be unsuccesfull, and after he proved them all wrong and became succesful he lost touch with the person he used to be, he has an imbalanced,industrial mindset. The Lorax was more of a mentor, he tried to persuade the Once-ler to listen to him and by warning him not to cut down the trees. The Once-Ler then became succesfull at creating thneeds and selling them that once there were no more trees all of Thneedville took a turn for the worse and became a place where you had to buy fresh air from a plastic bottle. The Once-Ler then had a complete change, his family was disappointed and left him all alone in the forest that then became very dark and grey and smelled bad.("At the far end of town where the grickle-grass grows, and the wind smells slow and sour when it blows, and no birds ever sing, excepting old crows") After all the Once-Ler had learned, and all that he regretted he realized there would be a time of change, when a young boy named Ted came around to inquire about how to get a tree. The Once-Ler then said his story about what happened to the trees, he also had kept the last Truphulla seed that he then gave to Ted after he proved his interest in trees was genuine, he gave it to him to plant it, because the Lorax knew that someone would come around and plant another seed in the middle of town where everyone could see.The Lorax left behin a stone, that said "UNLESS" which meant, UNLESS SOMEONE CARES, THE SITUATION WILL NOT IMPROVE, the Once-Ler tells Ted, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better,its not" In the end, The Once-ler went from being a snobby rebel, to becoming Teds mentor, the Once-ler is now an Initiator, he took full responsibility in knowing that there were no more trees because of his thneeds. At the End the Lorax comes back and tells the Once-ler good job Bean Pole, and is proud of the Once-ler, and because the Once-ler gave Ted a seed to plant, Ted was able to express to all of Thneedville the importance of Truphulla Trees, and how they produce fresh air.The Lorax's point was proving that us as humans, if we care nothing about the earth, nothing is going to get better.


Pearl Pena | 74 comments I believe we can analyze the story "Horton Hears a Who" By Dr. Seuss from a mythological point of view. Horton is the outcast and the Wickersham Brothers are the villains or the troublesome ones in the story. Horton was an elephant who carried around a clover with a town called "Who-ville" that looked like a speck too small to be seen. The Wickersham Brothers believed that there could be such a person on a speck as small as the head of a pin. But little did they know that Hortons large ears provide him with extra good hearing. The task was that although nobody believed Horton, he never gave in or gave up. Horton was even laughed at, made fun of, and insulted but he never quit protecting them. He believed that he should not let them get in the way of harm because a person is a person no matter how small. The symbol in this particular story would be the clover. It is not only green which describes growth and prosperity but it also usually consists of four leaves which symbolizes faith, hope, love, and luck. In the end when the Wickersham brothers grabbed and captured Horton, he shouted and pleaded with the Mayor not to give up so that they could be heard! After running back and forth making as much noise as they possibly could and almost giving up in despair, the Mayor discovered a shirker. At last they were able to accomplish being heard and proving that they in deed ARE PERSONS, by the SMALLEST OF ALL! NO MATTER HOW SMALL!! This story reminds us that we should ALWAYS respect the rights of other regardless of their situation, circumstances or state. We should NEVER be so quick to act or judge!


message 7: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 27, 2015 04:23PM) (new)

Kirsten Nelson | 62 comments In Sneetches by Dr. Seuss we can analyze this as Mythological Literary Criticism. The story lives in the unconscious mind of the sneetches and it evokes a deep universal respond. There are two types of sneetches, the ones with a star on their belly and the ones with out a star. The sneetches with a star on their belly are really mean to the sneetches without a star; the star sneetches would never invite the starless sneetches to play and they would always put the starless sneetches down. Then, there was Sylvester McMonkey McBean the genius who took money away from all the sneetches. The starless sneetches wanted to fit in so Sylvester came up with a bright idea. He made a machine to embroil stars on the starless sneetches and would make them pay to go through the machine. The starless sneetches now had stars. Once the sneetches with a star found out what the starless sneetches had done, the star sneetches wanted to take their star off because it became "old" and they didn't want to hang out with the other sneethces. This continued, the sneetches were going in circles; taking their stars on and off. Once the sneetches were broke and had no money to spend on stars, Sylvester left happy. The story states, "But McBean was quite wrong, I'm quite happy to say,
the Sneetches got quite a bit smarter that day. That day, they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches,
and no kind of Sneetch is the BEST on the beaches." The sneetches were broke and realized that it doesn't matter what star you have or where you have it because they were all the same kind of people. So, they started to get along. This archetype situation shows the criticism on how people segregate from other people who don't hold or carry as much as them. Dr. Seuss was trying to make a point that we are all equal no matter what we have.


message 8: by Rogerio (new)

Rogerio Ruiz | 39 comments In the story of The Cat in the Hat I chose the Fish as my character. The fish did all he could to prevent the kids from giving into temptation. The temptations of life, life which is full of temptations it is up to us whether we do the right thing or give in to the temptations. The fish constantly reminded the kids to choose wisely that their mother would not approve and that she will return soon from work. The kids did nothing to stop the cat; fun was all that mattered. The fish played the part of the subconscious of the kids. Reminding them of the disapproval from the mother. In the other hand what I found interesting is that they do not mention any paternal character in the story, which lead me to believe that there was no father figure in the story being a single mother.


message 9: by Hilda (last edited Jan 27, 2015 04:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hilda Aguilar | 54 comments The “Cat in the Hat” can be analyzed as a mythological point of view. The narrator in the story is the little boy. He wishes his sister Sally and him can do something on a rainy day. The cat in the hat appears and he wants to show them how to have a good time. The cat shows them different tricks but those tricks become a mess. Throughout the story he is describing everything the cat is doing while Sally is just a silent character. The fish tries to keep the house and kids in order. He tells the kids that the cat cannot stay. "He should not be here. He should not be about. He should not be here when your mother is out!" The fish seems to be powerless in this situation. The cat refuses to leave. "I will not go away. I do not wish to go!" The kids seem well behaved and the environment to be so demanding with the rules. The cat then shows the kids the fun in a box, thing one and thing two come out. They are careless and just want to have fun. They can be portrayed as the kids’ second personality. Even though breaking the rules results into consequences the cat just wants the kids to have fun. At the end of the story the fish and the kids fear for the mother because she is near. The little boy captures thing one and two and the cat leaves away. The cat comes back and shows them one last trick. He shows them to clean up the mess. They all show respect towards the mother as they know she might get upset for disobeying her rules.


Victoria Leal | 47 comments "Horton Hears A Who" can be analyzed from a mythological point of view. In this story the Spec is what is the archetype here. Because its not just a spec but turns out there is a small town that lives on it called "Who-Ville". Horton is the elephant who held around a clover with a spec on it trying to protect it from being harmed. He starts to get picked on and made fun of because the rest of the animals don't believe him to be true. The Wickersham brother's are the ones who doubt horton the most and tries their best to capture it. In the end when all hope is given up the small spec finally made enough noise to prove that they were there. This story symbolizes a lot. For example Horton is an elephant who has the ingest ears who can hear the quietest things, and although no one else believed him he never gave up on protecting this town. This shows that everyone needs a voice when they aren't given a chance to speak for themselves.


message 11: by Jose (last edited Jan 27, 2015 06:18PM) (new)

Jose G. | 13 comments I choose to analyze "Horton Hears A Who". In this story Horton is considered to be a hero. He believes that a person is person no matter what size and will protect at them all costs. During his journey he encounters evil. The monkeys, kangaroos, and eagle try to work against Horton by trying to take away the speck. Once the speck is taken away from Horton he doesn't give up trying to find the speck. He searches over a million specks until he found the speck he was looking for. Horton believed in something and he saw the task ahead of him through. He didn't give up no matter the circumstances. In the end the people of Who-ville worked together and made enough noise for all the animals to believe Horton. This story symbolizes that everybody should be treated equally no matter of their size, shape, and form. My take from this story is that if everybody works together for the same cause that enough people will take notice. Also, if people don't believe in what you do that you shouldn't give up. "A person's a person no matter how small".


message 12: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 56 comments We can analyze “Horton Hears a Who” by Dr. Seuss in a mythological criticism. The outcast of the story is Horton because he is the hero of the story. The Kangaroo, the Wickersham Brothers and Vlad Vlad-i-Koff are the villains of the story because they were mean and judgmental towards Horton. Horton was treated like a fool by all of them because they were unable to hear the voices that Horton was able to hear from the speck of dust. The speck of dust was a small city who were screaming for help and only Horton was able to hear. The clover is the archetypal symbol because it symbolizes life, delicacy and safety, “so, gently. And using the greatest of care….. placed it down, safe on a very soft clover.” The Kangaroo, the Wickersham and Vlad Vlad-i-Koff tried to get rid of the clover because they did not believe it was a small town they would only see a speck of dust. Horton told the Mayor of the small city to make as much noise as possible because the others were unable to hear them. After making the noise the “villains” would still not hear anything. Finally, the Mayor was able to a shirker and the “villains” were able to hear the noise the small town. The message of this story is equality; no matter the size, shape and color, we are all the equal to each other. “Because, after all, a person’s a person no matter how small.”


message 13: by Leslie (last edited Jan 28, 2015 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leslie (lesliemadai) | 50 comments I choose to analyze the story "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" where I consider the story to be a mythological literary. The evil genius can be the "Grinch" himself. This archetype character loves to show off how smart he is and loves to torture others just for the sake of it. "But, you know, that old Grinch was so smart and so slick He thought up a lie, and he thought it up quick!" The grinch hates everyone and doesn't care for anyone in Whoville and lying to poor Cindy-Lou Who was not the exception.

The archetypal situation would be the journey. The grinch must go through a journey which puts him through danger when he dresses up like "Santy Claus" and has to go down to Whoville with his dog Max dressed as a reindeer. In this act he is risking of getting caught by the Every Who in Whoville and not be able to go forward with his malicious plan of destroying everyones merry christmas.

The archetypal setting would be the underworld. The Grinch lives in a cave which can be representation of why he is so cold and bitter. He has been living in this cave for the past fifity-three years. "Why, for fifty-three years I've put up with it now! I MUST stop this christmas from coming!...But HOW?" The Grinch has lived in a cave for quite a while, which can represent how loneliness can make you bitter and can change they way you see things.

"How the Grinch Stole Christmas" symbolizes change. A change that not many see when they are caught up in their own world. The Grinch who lived miles away from Whoville, had been living alone for decades with no one to share christmas which made him bitter and not very merry. So yes, loneliness can make a person sad and can definitely change the way a person thinks. More definitely the way a heart feels.


message 14: by Leslie (last edited Jan 27, 2015 09:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leslie (lesliemadai) | 50 comments Jose wrote: "I choose to analyze "Horton Hears A Who". In this story Horton is considered to be a hero. He believes that a person is person no matter what size and will protect at them all costs. During his jou..."

Definitely agree with you Jose, everyone is a person no matter what size or kind of person they are. Working together can surely help others achieve a goal. The explanation was great.


Leslie (lesliemadai) | 50 comments Suzette wrote: ""The Lorax" takes place in a forest, where the colors are bright orange and surrounding are beautiful flowers and trees, whish represents happiness. It also takes place in a small town called Thnee..."

Suzette I can always picture the book or movie because of your explaining. I like how you explain to the very exact point. And I agree with you, and the symbolization of the book, because if humans don't care of the earth then nothing will ever get better.


Maritza Cruz | 23 comments I choose to analyze the character the cat from the story “The Cat in the Hat” by Dr. Seuss as mythological point of view. It’s a cold and rainy day and the narrator and his sister Sally are alone and bored at home watching the rain from the window. The setting of the story is in a house which represents peace and harmony environment. In the nowhere a cat in the hat appears trying to convene the kids that they can have fun and shows them tricks "But we can have lots of good fun that is funny". In the story the Cat symbolized to be trickster he is full of pride showing off his tricks. "Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now! It’s fun to have fun but you have to know how". After many attempts of “making tricks” he makes the house into a mess. At the end the Cat leaves he shows the little boy and Sally another trick by cleaning up the mess. When the mother got home everything was perfect. What really got me thinking is that the last question from the story, “What would you do if your mother asked you?” The little boy and Sally are just scared to tell their mother what really happened since they didn’t follow the rules.


message 17: by Amber (new)

Amber Gonzalez (amberglz) | 29 comments The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss can be categorized as sociological criticism. The Sneetches was published in 1961 and that time the Civil Rights Movement was in full effect. In a way Dr. Seuss was able to express his opinion or beliefs on this movement through The Sneetches. In the story the Sneetches can represent all humans but like in real life they were different. The star-bellied Sneetches can be portrayed as the white Americans and the plain-bellied can represent the African-Americans. In the story the star-bellied believed they were superior and did not mind letting all the Sneetches know. The plain-bellied Sneetches just wanted to be part of the star-bellied activities but were always denied because of their difference. During the Civil Rights Movement that was the main goal all African-Americans wanted. To be treated equally or like in The Sneetches just be part of their activities.


message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Teran | 54 comments I have chosen to analyze The Snitches because it is a mythological way to criticize this story. First, the relation of this story to our real-life circumstances do exist in the form of bullying. The plain belly snitches are the outcast when they are left out because their bellies don't have stars. The evil characters in this story are the star-belly snitches because they feel superior to the plain-belly snitches. The solution to the plain-belly snitches appears when Sylvester shows up with his star-making belly machine and offers them to join his efficient star-making machine for three dollars. The plain belly snitches paid and had their results, which didn't work out as planned. After the angry Star Belly Snitches realized what they did, they decided to go to Sylvester and take off the stars in their bellies. So, it becomes a cycle. The plain belly snitches paying to get star-bellies, while the Star belly snitches are paying to get plain bellies. This story helps me understand that there is no point in fitting it, and accepting your self for how you are and who you are.


message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Teran | 54 comments Shanda wrote: "I believe we can analyze "The Cat in the Hat" from a mythological point of view. The Cat is the representation of the prankster archetype. The Cat is very confident in showing all of his tricks to ..."

Great book for analyzing right from wrong, covering up mess, and leaving the readers with the doubt if the children told their mother the truth or made up a lie.


message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Teran | 54 comments Victoria wrote: ""Horton Hears A Who" can be analyzed from a mythological point of view. In this story the Spec is what is the archetype here. Because its not just a spec but turns out there is a small town that li..."

You are right Victoria, everyone needs a voice when they can't speak or are being doubt. Sometimes it is hard to have a spinal back and stand up for yourself. This story teaches you that it is possible to believe in your self and to go through the impossible to find what you are looking for.


Marielena Franco | 43 comments The story “The Cat in the Hat” can be approached to literature by gender criticism. The story begins with two young characters, named sally and her unnamed brother. Both children are very bored because of the weather and they both cannot go outside and play. All of a sudden the cat in the hat appears in their front door, ready to have fun and break moms rules. The gender criticism starts as soon as the cat in the hat walks in, sally is described as a control freak and the unnamed brother is described as a rule breaker. Once the fun starts sally’s brother wants to play and do everything the cat says but sally has second thoughts about her mother’s rules. When thing one and thing two come in the house in the box the fish starts to freak because the fish is the second character that wants to keep everything in order. After the children had all the fun they could with the cat, thing one, and thing two, the children realized they had done wrong and destroyed there house. Sally as the young girl described in the book was the first one to control the situation and make the cat play the last game, that will make the children’s house go back to normal.


Marielena Franco | 43 comments Rogerio wrote: "In the story of The Cat in the Hat I chose the Fish as my character. The fish did all he could to prevent the kids from giving into temptation. The temptations of life, life which is full of tempta..."
I agree, the fish is the subconscious of the children and I believe you are also correct on the comparison of the children’s situation with every day life. Everyone has moments in life were their are choices between right or wrong.


Marielena Franco | 43 comments Hilda wrote: "The “Cat in the Hat” can be analyzed as a mythological point of view. The narrator in the story is the little boy. He wishes his sister Sally and him can do something on a rainy day. The cat in the..."
I believe "The Cat in the Hat" can be analyzed as a mythological point of view because of all the mythological characters that are in the story, and the entire situations that come along.


message 24: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Torres | 72 comments Pearl wrote: "I believe we can analyze the story "Horton Hears a Who" By Dr. Seuss from a mythological point of view. Horton is the outcast and the Wickersham Brothers are the villains or the troublesome ones in..."
I agree with Pearl, Horton can be viewed as the outcast in the story. Horton was laughed at and ridiculed for saying that there were people on the speck.


message 25: by Luis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luis Gonzalez | 71 comments The Sneetches interpreted through sociological criticism draws me into a role reverse situation in a post World War II world. The elites of society are marked with a star for all the world to see. Those without the marking were seen as inferior and not able mingle with those deem elite. All Sneetches are exactly the same with the exception of the marking. It takes Sylvester McMonkey McBean’s, a confidence man, arrival to the beach to show all Sneetches are indeed equal. “The Sneetches” I believe are in direct relation to the Holocaust. The star bellies or Arians, are deemed as superior in direct contrast to the Jews were marked with the star of David and deemed as inferior. There is no mention of religion in the reading. Which Dr. Seuss, in my opinion, believes religion is irrelevant in the grand scheme of humanity. If religion was not considered there would not be and difference between Jews and the Arians.


Maritza Cruz | 23 comments Pearl wrote: "I believe we can analyze the story "Horton Hears a Who" By Dr. Seuss from a mythological point of view. Horton is the outcast and the Wickersham Brothers are the villains or the troublesome ones in..."

I agree with Pearl, the quote from the story, " are persons, by the smallest of all! No matter how small" symbolized that society is created equally.


Monique Freitag | 53 comments Kirsten wrote: "In Sneetches by Dr. Seuss we can analyze this as Mythological Literary Criticism. The story lives in the unconscious mind of the sneetches and it evokes a deep universal respond. There are two type..."

I agree with the fact that Dr. Suess was trying to get the point of everyone being equal no matter what we look like. In his own way he made it so children reading the books can accept themselves for how they are and not the way that everyone else is and to not be followers.


Monique Freitag | 53 comments Maritza wrote: "I choose to analyze the character the cat from the story “The Cat in the Hat” by Dr. Seuss as mythological point of view. It’s a cold and rainy day and the narrator and his sister Sally are alone a..."

I agree with the Cat symbolizing the archetypal character of the ‘trickster’. Throughout the story he is causing problems in the best hearted way possible. His tricks in no way harm the children, just good natured fun that is troublesome.


Rosie Castillo | 61 comments In the story "The Grinch Stole Christmas" its an example of mythological. In this story the Grinch can be view as the villian which is also an example of archetypal. The Grinch is a person that doesnot like Christmas at all. And he will do whatever it takes for the people of the town to also feel the same. Which means not having Christmas at all. He is very cold heart which means he doesnot believe in how the people of town will feel when they realize that their Christmas is gone. Regardless, the motive and situation that the people of town where put in because of the Grinch, they still decide to celebrate Christmas. When the Grinch hears the town people singing he realize that Christmas was still happening in town. The Grinch realized that Christmas was more than just having gifts or food gathering. His heart overcame the evil and became good and return everyones gift back.


Rosie Castillo | 61 comments Luis wrote: "The Sneetches interpreted through sociological criticism draws me into a role reverse situation in a post World War II world. The elites of society are marked with a star for all the world to see...."
I agree with Luis that this story is consider a sociological criticism.


message 31: by Luis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luis Gonzalez | 71 comments Shanda wrote: "I believe we can analyze "The Cat in the Hat" from a mythological point of view. The Cat is the representation of the prankster archetype. The Cat is very confident in showing all of his tricks to ..."

I can agree with the cat in the hat being a fool/free spirit archetype. The cat in the hat never meant any harm to the children and or getting them in trouble. He was there as a form of entertainment for the kids on a rainy day.


message 32: by Luis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luis Gonzalez | 71 comments Jose wrote: "I choose to analyze "Horton Hears A Who". In this story Horton is considered to be a hero. He believes that a person is person no matter what size and will protect at them all costs. During his jou..."
Horton was a hero, he gave his work to the speck of dust that he would protect the little people. In fact it became his quest to protect them after the eagle dropped the speck of dust in a clover field. He believed the naysayers and stayed true to his word.


message 33: by Pearl (last edited Feb 05, 2015 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pearl Pena | 74 comments Marielena wrote: "The story “The Cat in the Hat” can be approached to literature by gender criticism. The story begins with two young characters, named sally and her unnamed brother. Both children are very bored bec..."

Marielena, I can see where you're coming from when you stated that this story can be approached as a gender criticism. Sally was the female child who was considered the one to be in control from the start. She was always one step ahead of the game when it came to breaking her mother's rules.


message 34: by Pearl (last edited Jan 28, 2015 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pearl Pena | 74 comments Jose wrote: "I choose to analyze "Horton Hears A Who". In this story Horton is considered to be a hero. He believes that a person is person no matter what size and will protect at them all costs. During his jou..."

Jose, I can definitely agree with you that Horton was considered to be a hero in this story. He believed and that belief is what kept him going. He stood firm on his commitment to protect the speck at all costs even when everyone else was working against him.


message 35: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Nelson | 62 comments Suzette wrote: ""The Lorax" takes place in a forest, where the colors are bright orange and surrounding are beautiful flowers and trees, whish represents happiness. It also takes place in a small town called Thnee..."

The Lorax seems interesting, I have never seen it before. I have to agree with your statement, "if we care nothing about the earth, nothing is going to get better." That saying could be very useful in this planet. If there is no care in the world things could go wrong.


message 36: by Jose (last edited Jan 28, 2015 07:21PM) (new)

Jose G. | 13 comments Kimberly wrote: "I have chosen to analyze The Snitches because it is a mythological way to criticize this story. First, the relation of this story to our real-life circumstances do exist in the form of bullying. Th..."
I agree that bullying can be translated to something that happens in our daily life. Although it may not happen to us, bullying is a common problem in our society. I like your point about fitting in. Some people think that by changing themselves they fit in but being yourself is what makes you fit in.


message 37: by Jose (new)

Jose G. | 13 comments Rosie wrote: "In the story "The Grinch Stole Christmas" its an example of mythological. In this story the Grinch can be view as the villian which is also an example of archetypal. The Grinch is a person that doe..."
The Grinch is the perfect example to a villain. He tries in so many ways to ruin Christmas without realizing the true meaning. The people teach the Grinch that Christmas is more about presents and the true meaning of Christmas is what makes the Grinch change for the best.


Victoria Leal | 47 comments Maritza wrote: "The cat symbolized to be a trickster..." I agree with her statement, the cat is a trickster and just basically wants to be a show off. In the end he did end up helping the kids with his last trick.


Victoria Leal | 47 comments Amber wrote: " The Sneetches was published in 1961 and that time the civil rights movement was in full effect." She makes a valid point of saying that the author was making a statement through this story about the civil rights movement. I hadn't thought about it that way so it was nice to learn that.


message 40: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 56 comments Suzette wrote: ""The Lorax" takes place in a forest, where the colors are bright orange and surrounding are beautiful flowers and trees, whish represents happiness. It also takes place in a small town called Thnee..."

I agree with you that The Lorax and The Once-ler are the archetypes of the story. I liked the way you described the story; when it was a beautiful forest that it became ugly due to the selfishness of The Once-ler. in my opinion the last Truphulla seed is the archetypal symbol because it represents life and hope. We as humans need to take care of our earth in order to prevent this type of issues.


Hilda Aguilar | 54 comments Monique wrote: "The story of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” can be analyzed in a mythological criticism point of view. The main character, the Grinch, can be seen as the archetypal “villain turned good”.

The G..."


I agree,the Grinch can be seen as the villain turned good. He can also be seen as the outcast in the beginning of the story. The outcast that then starts to rebel.


message 42: by Suzette (new) - added it

Suzette Sanchez (slelysanchez) | 53 comments Amber wrote: "The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss can be categorized as sociological criticism. The Sneetches was published in 1961 and that time the Civil Rights Movement was in full effect. In a way Dr. Seuss was able ..."
i agree with you on the sneetches when it comes to the civil rights movement, i think he was creative writing this during this era.


message 43: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Torres | 72 comments Rosie wrote: "In the story "The Grinch Stole Christmas" its an example of mythological. In this story the Grinch can be view as the villian which is also an example of archetypal. The Grinch is a person that doe..."
I agree with Rosie the Grinch is the villain in the story. Who can blame him when he has a heart two sizes too small!


message 44: by Amber (new)

Amber Gonzalez (amberglz) | 29 comments Hilda wrote: "The “Cat in the Hat” can be analyzed as a mythological point of view. The narrator in the story is the little boy. He wishes his sister Sally and him can do something on a rainy day. The cat in the..."

I like how you explained the story. I agree with you the cat just wanted trouble and the fish was the mediator.


Maritza Cruz | 23 comments Leslie wrote: "I choose to analyze the story "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" where I consider the story to be a mythological literary. The evil genius can be the "Grinch" himself. This archetype character loves ..."

I totally agree with you Leslie the Grinch represent archetype character evil to good.


message 46: by Suzette (new) - added it

Suzette Sanchez (slelysanchez) | 53 comments Leslie wrote: "I choose to analyze the story "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" where I consider the story to be a mythological literary. The evil genius can be the "Grinch" himself. This archetype character loves ..."

Yes Leslie, i agree that in the "how the grinch stole christmas" the movie does symbolize change, even though he had a tiny bit of love in his heart, after realizing the harm he did, he completely changed.


message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Martinez (melimeli) The Cat in the Hat, is more then its seems. This story is an mythological. Analyzing the story closely, that the cat in the hat is the id of the children, and the fish is the conscience. when the children were home alone while their mother is out. The children were bored and wanted to have some fun. So the cat in the hat, the id, came along and create chaos, the fish the conscience tried to control the situtation. Now the end of the story, a question was asked, "what would you do if your mother asked you?", the children as asking te reader, what will happen if the mother knew what had happen when she as out.


back to top