2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Station Eleven
This topic is about Station Eleven
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2015 > Station Eleven: Parts V and VI (Contains Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jodi (new) - added it

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments This is the thread to discuss Station Eleven Parts V and VI: Toronto and The Airplanes

message 2: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg (megscl) | 326 comments Why do you think planes are such an ongoing theme throughout the book? Is it a nostalgic symbol of humankind's incredible pre-apocalypse technological ability, or maybe more of a symbol of fear? (it was because of planes that the virus spread so rapidly)

message 3: by Megan, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan (lahairoi) | 6784 comments Meg wrote: "Why do you think planes are such an ongoing theme throughout the book? Is it a nostalgic symbol of humankind's incredible pre-apocalypse technological ability, or maybe more of a symbol of fear? (i..."

I think it's because planes symbolize our freedom in the world. It's the ability to master our space and position on the planet. Without them most of the characters were stranded, strangers in a strange and depressing land.

message 4: by Victoria (last edited Feb 06, 2015 01:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Victoria | 12 comments Ok I have just had a thought regarding the identity of "The Prophet" could it possibly be Tyler Arthur's son he is only 8 or 9 when the flu hits making him an adult at the time the symphony comes to town just like Kirsten, the plane he, his mother and Clark are on gets diverted to Severn City which is where "The Prophet" is meant to have come from it might also explain the Luli reference in relation to the dog which shares a name with Arthur and Miranda's dog. Just a theory I have at the moment that I thought I would share! I am really enjoying the book it is nicely written the characters are well fleshed out and the threads seem to be coming together linking the characters and their storylines. This was a great pick as a read!

Jennifer | 95 comments Megan wrote: "Meg wrote: "Why do you think planes are such an ongoing theme throughout the book? Is it a nostalgic symbol of humankind's incredible pre-apocalypse technological ability, or maybe more of a symbol..."

The planes acted as a mode of transportation for the virus, but also as a means of saving people. At least the flight with Elizabeth, Clark and Tyler seems to have saved people---removed them from the infection zone to a safe area.

Those who landed in Severn City most likely feel that their airplane ride saved their lives, was a blessing, a God send, a symbol of llife, and since it appears as through the safety of that plane was pure luck, it's easy to understand how a child may take that luck to mean something. The prophet, whom I also believe to be Tyler, at this point, could have taken that luck and warped it into feeling that they were chosen to survive. A kind of twist on survivors guilt, especially since his mother spoke so often of how everything in life happened for a reason, everything that happens is meant to be.

Victoria | 12 comments I like the idea of survivors guilt being an element of Tyler's psyche I hadn't considered that before and it's an interesting take on the motivation of the prophet and his teachings

Adam Rodgers | 153 comments Victoria wrote: "Ok I have just had a thought regarding the identity of "The Prophet" could it possibly be Tyler Arthur's son he is only 8 or 9 when the flu hits making him an adult at the time the symphony comes t..."

That would make a lot of sense. I would like to hear how he became such a whack job though.

Karen Mockoviak | 272 comments So excited to get to the last few sections of this book. I have loved all of the story lines so far and can't wait to see how this is going to end!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.