2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Station Eleven
This topic is about Station Eleven
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2015 > Station Eleven: Parts III and IV (Contains Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jodi (new) - added it

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments This is the thread to discuss Station Eleven Parts III and IV: I Prefer You With a Crown and The Starship

message 2: by Megan, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan (lahairoi) | 6779 comments I'm intrigued to see how all of these disparate characters fit together and if there's a purpose and reason to going back pre-collapse.

message 3: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg (megscl) | 325 comments Me too Megan, I didn't really see the point in having such a long story about Arthur's ex-wife (totally forgot her name already, Monica? Miranda?). It wasn't that I didn't enjoy it, I just wanted to get back to the apocalypse!

Also, I liked the sub-story of the Station Eleven comic, but I am still unsure why this was chosen as the title of the novel. Not that I have a better title in mind! Anyone have any thoughts?

Cristal Punnett Yeah, I'm at this stage too, I think all the characters are contected somehow.

Peggy | 43 comments I'm equally enjoying every sub-story and find all the characters interesting. I want to know who the prophet is. He is in his late 20's/early 30's, something in his face is familiar to Kirsten, his dog is named Luli. Hmmm.....can't guess who?!

message 6: by Victoria (last edited Feb 05, 2015 12:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Victoria | 12 comments I'm finding it difficult to know how I feel about this book at the moment, it is a well written book with an intriguing concept but I'm finding it difficult to actually categorise the book and pinpoint exactly what the plot is other than an overall look at the lives of the characters pre and post apocalypse. The connections between the pre and post worlds are not terribly obvious and neither is why Arthur is such a central character given that he died the night of the flu break out. I do like the fact that there are little subtle connections such as the name of the dog the prophet has also being the name of Arthur and Miranda's dog and the name she gives the dog in the Station Eleven comic and the paperweight which Miranda takes the night she finds out about Elizabeth and which somehow ends up being given to Kirsten by the girl Arthur is close to at the theatre (can't remember her name!) on the night Arthur dies.

I'm going into the last half of the book hoping that the story will finally draw together as I love the way the book is written and I really want there to be a good conclusion to all the character building and mystery around the Arthur and pre apocalypse story line. The other mystery of course is where did the Symphony go? I'm very intrigued to see how that element impacts on the overall plot

Jennifer | 95 comments I feel less sure about this book than I did in the last section. There must be a deeper connection to these characters than what we have seen, yet with each chapter I find their stories growing apart rather than together.

If I remember correctly from the beginning of the book, Miranda was in Tokyo working with a fleet of shipping containers. She had described the crew as lonely, isolated, living trapped at sea. It is a close reflection of her Station Eleven story.

I think the parallels between the comic and the current environment lie in the relationship that the characters have to their world that is gone. In both, their past has been destroyed--some want nothing but to return to that old world, while others are trying to survive in the new world, and for some survival is insufficient.

message 8: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilona | 4154 comments I completely agree with Victoria after reading this part of the book.
I even have to admit that I find the book a bit boring so far, but I'm hoping that the second half of the book will surprise me.

Adam Rodgers | 153 comments As long as all the stories come together in a clever way at the end I'm pretty sure I will like the book.

Laura I find the book interesting, but the sections are certainly different from one another. Having finished sections 3 and 4, it's turned into the celebrity backstory of Arthur and his wives. I had to remember that I was reading a post-apocalyptic book, not an episode of "The Real Housewives."

I am liking the mentions of the Michigan cities - Traverse City, East Jordan, Petosky. And any book that name-drops "Spaceman Spiff" from Calvin & Hobbes, I have to love.

Whitney | 43 comments I have mixed feelings about this book so far, but I do find it fairly engaging. So I guess the prophet is Arthur's son? That's the only explanation I can think of regarding why he looks vaguely familiar to Kirsten and why there would be a second dog named Luli.

Kathryn (kathrynwright) I think the celebrity backstory is throwing me off. I rather enjoyed sections 3 and 4, but I got lost in the story. In fact, I got so lost that I forgot I was reading a book about a post apocalyptic world.

The focus on Arthur, will be cleared up because I think the author, is artfully weaving this giant sixth degrees of Kevin bacon type relationships with Arthur being Bacon himself. I am interested to see how Arthurs part plays out, particularly after the world "ends.

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'm still enjoying the book, even though this seems like more of a setup section for an ending. I feel like this is more of a story about people and how everything is connected, rather than a book about a post-apocalyptic world, and that's fine with me.

message 14: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 280 comments Peggy wrote: "I'm equally enjoying every sub-story and find all the characters interesting. I want to know who the prophet is. He is in his late 20's/early 30's, something in his face is familiar to Kirsten, his..."

Could it be Arthur's son? I have no idea, but that came to mind when I read your post.

message 15: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 280 comments Now that I've read all the comments, I see someone else also thought the prophet might be Arthur's son...interesting. Like others, I'm looking forward to finding out how this all ties together. I think the best part of the book so far is the commentary on life. That's coming through to me a lot more than any plot so far.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennv514) I'm thinking the Prophet is Miranda's abusive artist ex-boyfriend. She said she modeled the main character in her comic after him, and Kirsten said he "looked familiar, but couldn't place him".

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennv514) Arthur's son is a good guess. I hadn't even considered that.

ScarlettMi | 191 comments Going back to the pre-apocalypse era is what made this book stand out to me and grab my attention. When we jumped forward the first time, I was sorry to leave that world behind entirely and was pleasantly surprised by how often the story jumps around through time.

Karen Mockoviak | 272 comments I'm enjoying all of the different story lines that are brought up in this book, particularly the post apocalyptic one with Kirsten. What is going on with the Symphony members disappearing? I can't wait to see how all of the characters intersect, and I really hope to go back to the pre-flu storyline.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.