Catholic Thought discussion

Jesus of Nazareth - Infancy > Jesus of Nazareth Chapter 2

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen | 440 comments Chapter 2 Summary: The Annunciation of the Birth of John the Baptist and the Annunciation of the Birth of Jesus.

I was just blown away by this chapter. Absolutely loved it.

message 2: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 3573 comments Mod
I haven't gotten to it. Given this huge blizzard, I should have time tomorrow. I think this storm is going to be even worse for up at your place, Doreen.

message 3: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen | 440 comments It is getting bad here Manny. Went into the kitchen to make coffee and looked out the window over my sink and I can barely see the house next door. Getting a lot of good reading in though so long as I don't lose power.

message 4: by Manny (new)

We got spared in NYC. Only about 8-10 inches. Prayers for you up north.

message 5: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen | 440 comments John the Baptist is a link between the Old and New Testaments.

message 6: by Manny (new)

Yes, I found this paragraph on page 19 to really sum up the intertwining of Old and New Covenants:

"The characterization of Zachariah and Elizabeth found in the following verse of Luke’s Gospel (1:6) likewise points toward the inner unity of the testaments. It is said of both spouces that there were righteous before God, and that they walked blamelessly in ll the commandments and precepts of the Lord. When we come to consider the figure of St. Joseph we will look more closely at the term “righteous” or “just,” in which the whole piety of the Old Covenant is summed up. The “just” are those who inwardly live the ordinances of the law aright—those who walk their path in righteousness, according to the revealed will of God and open up space for new action by the Lord. Old and New Covenant converge and combine to form a single history of God with man."

message 7: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen | 440 comments Do you remember when John the Baptist said that he himself was not the Messiah but he was there to lead the way for the one who is to come which was Jesus.

message 8: by Manny (new)

If anyone is interested, I wrote a blog post on a passage from chapter 2. Here is the post, titled, "Word of the Day: Joy":

http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.c...