Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

At Odds with Destiny
This topic is about At Odds with Destiny
Historical Fiction > At Odds with Destiny

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Booth | 1 comments Uvi wrote: "This is my original charcoal drawing which served as the inspiration for the cover of At Odds with Destiny. The figure is open to interpretation. Is she holding a mask, a mirror, or something else ..."

The inspiration is as lovely as the cover. Beautiful piece.

message 2: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments Evelyn wrote: "Uvi wrote: "This is my original charcoal drawing which served as the inspiration for the cover of At Odds with Destiny. The figure is open to interpretation. Is she holding a mask, a mirror, or som..."

Aw... Thank you so much Evelyn, so glad you checked out the piece and the entire process. I design all my book covers, and this is one of the more complex among them, as it must accommodate the names of ten illustrious authors and ten titles.

message 3: by Janet (new)

Janet E. | 1 comments Uvi, thanks for asking me to put up an excerpt from "Tempus," my contribution to At Odds with Destiny and the book that introduces the character Tempus (called the Riddler, the Obscure, the Black, Favorite of the Storm God) who helped make books in which his tales first appeared million-copy 20th century best-sellers and now best-sellers again today. Tempus is an amalgam of 1st century BCE Herakleitos of Ephesos and the Sacred Bands of the day as well as heroes and lifestyle from the Iliad, but his tutelary god becomes Enlil (Lord Storm), from earlier Akkadian mythology. Tempus lives in a gritty, dark world of antiquity. The bright spot in his life is his eromenos, Niko, a secular adept of Maat, the Egyptian personification of Balance and Justice. This post is the first time I've truly discussed the history underpinning the Tempus stories, since you have an historically-erudite readership. And yes, we could have called him Kronos, but I wanted to make clear that the immortal Tempus has stepped through many dimensional gates into different epochs, so Tempus he became and Tempus he remains. His story continues, after the book "Tempus," with his bestselling and critically acclaimed novels: Beyond Sanctuary, Beyond the Veil, Beyond Wizardwall (all three Science Fiction Book Club selections); The Sacred Band, his epic novel, and The Fish the Fighters and the Song-girl, the newest volume in the series. Now, here's the excerpt, in which Abarsis, the Slaughter Priest, tells Hanse, a local picaro, some of Tempus' history: “I stole those diamond rods once before, for Tem–, for the Riddler. He’ll just give them back to her, after she does whatever it is she does for him. I had her once, and she did nothing for me that any other whore would not do.”
“You what? Ah, you do not know about them, then? Their legend, their curse?”
“Legend? Curse? I knew she was a sorceress. Tell me about it. Am I in any danger? You can forget the whole idea, about the rods. I keep shut of sorcery.”
“Hardly sorcery, no need to worry. They cannot transmit any of it. When he was young and she was a virgin, he was a prince and a fool of ideals. I heard it that the god is his true father, and thus she is not his sibling, but you know how legends are. Since she was a princess, her sire looked for an advantageous marriage. An archmage of a power not seen anymore made an offer, at about the time the Riddler renounced his claim to the throne and retired to a philosopher’s cave. She went to him begging aid, some way out of an unacceptable situation, and convinced him that should she be deflowered, the mage would not want her, and of all men the Riddler was the only one she trusted with the task; anyone else would despoil her. She seduced him easily, for he had loved her all his young life and that unacceptable attraction to flesh of his flesh was part of what drove him from his primogeniture. She loved nothing but herself; some things never change. He was wise enough to know he brought destruction upon himself, but men are prone to ruin for women. In passion, he could not think clearly; when it left him he went to Vashanka’s altar and threw himself upon it, consigning his fate to the god. The god took him up, and when the archmage appeared with four eyes spitting fire and four mouths breathing fearful curses, the god’s aegis partly shielded him. Yet, the curse holds. He wanders eternally bringing death to whomever loves him and being spurned by whomsoever he shall love. She must offer herself for pay to any comer, take no gift of kindness on pain of showing all her awful years, incapable of giving love as she has always been. So thus, the gods, too, are barred to her, and she is truly damned.”

message 4: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments Janet wrote: "He wanders eternally bringing death to whomever loves him and being spurned by whomsoever he shall love"

Oh what a great sentence, "He wanders eternally bringing death to whomever loves him and being spurned by whomsoever he shall love"!

message 5: by J.J. (new)

J.J. DiBenedetto | 4 comments One of the books included in this set is DREAM STUDENT. It's the story of Sara Barnes, a college student who finds her life turned upside-down when she discovers that she has an unexpected, and unique, gift.

When we meet Sara, it's just a couple of weeks before Christmas break, in the midst of her junior year of college. She's getting ready to apply to medical school, she's looking forward to going home and seeing her family, and her roommate and best friend is teasing her about when she'll start looking for a new boyfriend. Pretty typical stuff for a college student.

And then the dreams begin. They're strange, for a couple of reasons. First, because Sara has never been able to remember her dreams. Second, because the dreams don't seem to have anything to do with her - it's almost as though she's watching the dreams of other people. It's not long before Sara realizes that's exactly what's happening. It's impossible, but that doesn't change the fact that she's doing it every night. And one of the dreams, which recurs almost every evening, looks as though it may be coming from the mind of a killer...

Here's a little excerpt, shortly after Sara has realized the dreams are real, and she possesses a "superpower":

Another thought goes through my mind just now, and it throws me off track. “If I’ve got a power, right? I’m psychic, or whatever you want to call this, right? Well, where’s my wise mentor? In every story I can think of, people who suddenly find they have a special power or something always have one. King Arthur had Merlin. Luke Skywalker had Obi-Wan. The Scottish guy in that stupid movie Ron likes, where they’re all cutting each other’s heads off…”

“Connor MacLeod,” Brian pipes in. “And the movie is ‘Highlander.’”

Beth snorts. “All you guys like that movie. I’ll never understand it.”

“Anyway,” I say, trying to get back on track. “Connor whatever, he had Sean Connery to mentor him, right? So where’s the old wise master to tell me how to deal with all this?” Brian’s amused by the thought, but Beth has a different reaction.

“I’d let Sean Connery tell me what to do,” she sighs. “Anytime.”

So would I, although not that way. He’s old enough to be my grandfather, after all. Besides, I’m taken! And I will definitely have to tell Brian that that was my first thought, once we’re alone of course.

But I definitely wouldn’t say no to Sean Connery’s advice. I bet he’d know exactly what to do about the nightmares.

message 6: by Uvi (last edited Feb 26, 2015 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments J.J. wrote: "One of the books included in this set is DREAM STUDENT. It's the story of Sara Barnes, a college student who finds her life turned upside-down when she discovers that she has an unexpected, and uni..."

I love Sara's voice, and having read several books in the Dream series I am thrilled that the first one is included in the boxed set At Odds with Destiny. The question, 'What if you could see someone else's dreams?" is so intriguing!

And I wanted to ask you if it was a leap, for a male author to write in the voice of a young woman. How did you get into her head?

message 7: by Uvi (last edited Apr 01, 2016 03:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments James DiBenedetto, the author of the Dream Series, is my 'partner in crime' in the creation of the boxed set titled At Odds with Destiny. He asked me about the ideas that propelled me to bring together the ten authors who are taking part in this exciting project. So I opened with, "Lately, despite being an intensely private person, I have found myself increasingly engaged with readers and listeners. Why? because of my characters. Having sprung from my mind onto the page, they might die there, pressed between the front and back covers–unless I make it possible for them to spring from the page to your mind..."

To read more click here:
At Odds with Destiny

Aaron Lazar (aaronpaullazar) | 1 comments Hi, folks. I've just posted an excerpt from Pam of Babylon by Suzanne Jenkins, which is one of the ten amazing books in the At Odds with Destiny set! http://aaronlazar.blogspot.com/2015/0... Please stop by and enjoy!

message 9: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments Aaron wrote: "Hi, folks. I've just posted an excerpt from Pam of Babylon by Suzanne Jenkins, which is one of the ten amazing books in the At Odds with Destiny set! http://aaronlazar.blogspot.com/2015/0......"

Love the excerpt!

message 10: by Uvi (last edited Mar 23, 2016 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments She wore her hair in the usual thick ponytail. I sat contentedly across from her, thinking how absolutely lovely she looked in her red wool shirt. The feelings that I felt for Camille continued to be far deeper than friendship, and for the thousandth time, I reined in my desires and tried to smother them with small talk about gardens and springtime.

To read more click here:
In the spirit of spring: she talked about her plans for a spring garden

message 11: by Uvi (last edited Mar 23, 2016 03:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments After that, nobody says anything for a couple of minutes, until the sound of a car rumbling up the driveway breaks the silence. Headlights shine in the window. Then the car goes quiet and the lights go out, and a moment later the doorbell rings. Dad opens the door, and Brian’s there, flowers in hand.

To read more from James DiBenedetto​'s novel click here:
In the spirit of spring: Brian’s there, flowers in hand

message 12: by Uvi (last edited Feb 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments Tadah! Here is a new cover for At Odds with Destiny, a boxed set of four novels by three wonderful writers and me. Had a blast designing this cover, because of this regal red, that appears in folds of the dress and in the headboard, and because of this 'in your face' direct look in the eyes of this striking girl. She makes me think, is she destiny and you are at odds with her, or is she facing destiny and rebels against her own fate--

To read more click here:
Cover reveal for At Odds with Destiny

message 13: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments Inspired by the first day of spring, which is just around the corner, I want to give you a taste of a first day for one of the characters in our boxed set: “This is a special day, our first day together! I won’t cook like this once I’m in the apartment.” Was she reading minds now? “Do you have anything that needs doing today--”

Excerpt from Pam of Babylon by Suzanne Jenkins, included in At Odds with Destiny. To read more click here:
First day for a character: At Odds with Destiny, 3rd novel

message 14: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments Ready for #Easter? Here are four amazing novels, written by Aaron Paul Lazar, Suzanne Zannis Jenkins, James DiBenedetto and me, in one boxed set. Open it at your own risk:

Get ★★★★★ AT ODDS WITH DESTINY:
#kindle http://BookShow.me/B00SHYGG7C/
#nook http://tinyurl.com/nook-dest
#itunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id95...
#kobo http://tinyurl.com/kobo-dest
#smashwords http://tinyurl.com/smsh-dest

message 15: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments No clown am I
And not an April's fool
So don't ask me why
I stand here looking cool

To read more click here:
April Fool: In a minute I'll be gone

message 16: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments Kick off your flip-flops and take my hand
Sink your tows in the warm sand
In each shell, a story hides
A secret whispers under crash of tides--

To read more click here:
A please where sirens call your name

message 17: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments Elsbeth filled my dreams in the pre-dawn hours. It was summer: sun-bleached, blazing summer. We lay on a lavender blanket, deep in a field of wildflowers. Thousands of blue lupines nodded their heads in unison in a meadow of ubiquitous buttercups--

To read more from Aaron Paul Lazar's pen, click here:
Beach reading: We lay on a lavender blanket, deep in a field of wildflowers

message 18: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments At the other side of the valley, the sun has just begun to rise. At first, its blood-tinged rays shoot straight into my eyes, blinding me. They make me blink, so it takes me time to adjust, to notice how, out of the shimmering air out there, the rays are starting to carve out three distinct silhouettes--

To read more, click here:
Beach reading: the rays are starting to carve out three distinct silhouettes

message 19: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments Walking straight towards his bed, which, Sara notices for the first time, is not empty. Someone’s hidden under the covers. For one guilty moment Sara, the memory of her crush still in her mind, hopes that when Mark pulls the covers up, it’ll be Sara under there, Sara that he’s dreaming about…

To read more from James DiBenedetto's pen, click here:
Beach reading: Sara looks around, wondering whose dream this is

message 20: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments Looking for a great gift? Why not something you can enjoy together?

Each one of the novels in this boxed set anthology is outside the box. Open it at your own risk!

Bestselling, critically acclaimed, and notoriously creative authors from across the book continuum join forces to bring you At Odds with Destiny, everything you've wanted in a boxed set but thought you'd never find: full-length, award winning novels brimming with cozy mystery, suspense, romance, and biographical historical fiction. Finding themselves at odds with destiny, the characters in these stories fight to shape their future and define who they are. Come follow them in their amazing journeys.

Rise to Power by Uvi Poznansky
Notorious for his contradictions, David is seen by others as a gifted court entertainer or a traitor leading a gang of felons. How does he see himself? Can he control his destiny and strike a balance between ambition and longing for purity?

Double Forté by Aaron Paul Lazar
In the deep cold of winter, threats erupt from the dark woods, spinning events out of hand—and Gus, tormented by the unexplained death of his wife, braces for the fight of his life.

Pam of Babylon by Suzanne Jenkins
After Jack dies, his wife Pam discovers secrets and lies. Is she destined to succumb to vengefulness against his two lovers, or will she find a different way forward?

Dream Student by James DiBenedetto
Everything was going according to plan, until the night when college junior Sara Barnes started seeing other people’s dreams. Is she the only one witnessing the secrets of a serial killer?

Let in the dog and let out the cat, for this boxed set holds dangers of the most rarefied kind!

>At Odds with Destiny

★  Kindle   Nook  ★  Apple 

★  Kobo  ★  Smashwords  

message 21: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 1135 comments Marie closed the door and locked it. She crept back to the bed and got her cell phone, keying in 9-1-1... The dispatcher said they would send cars out right away. She hung up and went back to her door. She could hear Pam’s voice, low and pleading, and her mother whimpering. She didn’t know if she should go out to help them or stay locked in her room. What would make things better? Worse? She chose staying put. In less than five minutes, she heard the whoosh of cars out front and then a loud “Bang!”

To read more from Suzanne Jenkins pen, click here:
Start the summer with a bang: At Odds with Destiny