Coffee Club with a Reading Problem discussion

Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1)
This topic is about Wool Omnibus
Past Reading > Wool Omnibus 01/24-02/24

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by DM, Decaf Hazelnut Latte (last edited Jan 25, 2015 03:55PM) (new)

DM Ziebarth (dmziebarth) | 75 comments Mod
Discussion about the Wool Omnibus series. I have an epub version of this book, if anyone needs it. PM me if you want a copy.

---
DISCUSSION REVIEW (copy and paste)

Coffee Club With a Reading Problem Monthly Book Questionnaire
Share what you thought about this month's book! Give as many details as you can!

1. What was your initial impression when you started the book? Were you immediately drawn into the story, or did it take you a while? Did your opinion of the book change by the end? If so, why?

2. Did the book intrigue, amuse, disturb, alienate, irritate, or frighten you, or did you have a different response to the book?

3. Did you find the characters convincing? Were they believable? Compelling? Did you consider them fully-developed or one-dimensional? Did they grow or change? Who were your favorite and least favorite characters (and why)?

4. Was the plot well-developed? Was it believable? Did you feel manipulated along the way, or did the plot events unfold naturally or organically?

5. Was the pacing of the story to your liking? Would you consider the story more plot-driven (events unfolding quickly) or character-driven (more time spent developing characters' inner lives), and did that style work?

6. Did you expect the ending or were you surprised? Did you find the ending satisfying, or did you want it to end a different way?

7. Based on this book, would you be interested in continuing the series (if applicable) and/or reading other books by the same author? Is there anything you'd like to ask the author after finishing their book?

message 2: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 13 comments I already found this one in physical form. Blood Song managed to illude me, but I'm starting this tonight.

K.N. (karmaplace) I'm only about 1/4 done with the book so far and I'm enjoying it, but I'm finding myself kind of putting it off because I'm almost nervous to continue, in a way. Does anyone else know what I mean? I'll put the spoiler bits behind a button. Don't read unless you've gotten at least a quarter of a way through the book.

(view spoiler)

message 4: by DM, Decaf Hazelnut Latte (new)

No, I totally get that. I've picked up- read a bit - put it down. For me it's not so much the reasons you named, it's more just a general sense of ominousness. The future is so bleak in this world that I'm almost too nervous about the ending to continue.

K.N. (karmaplace) I finished!

Coffee Club With a Reading Problem Monthly Book Questionnaire
Share what you thought about this month's book! Give as many details as you can!

1. What was your initial impression when you started the book? Were you immediately drawn into the story, or did it take you a while? Did your opinion of the book change by the end? If so, why?

I was immediately drawn in for the first part. Then I was shocked and had to take a break. Then I repeated the process... Around halfway through the book I finally hit my stride and didn't take anymore breaks. I liked the book throughout, it was just draining.

2. Did the book intrigue, amuse, disturb, alienate, irritate, or frighten you, or did you have a different response to the book?

I was filled with a feeling of dread while I read the book. After the opening I was scared of being "hurt" again, haha.

3. Did you find the characters convincing? Were they believable? Compelling? Did you consider them fully-developed or one-dimensional? Did they grow or change? Who were your favorite and least favorite characters (and why)?

I loved the characters. In particular, I loved Juliette/Jules. She was badass and strong. I think she grew quite a bit during the book as well, got both toughter and more compassionate, if that's possible. My least favorite was probably either Marck (he was not very developed) or Solo/Jimmy... I understood why he was the way he was, but he was a bit annoying.

4. Was the plot well-developed? Was it believable? Did you feel manipulated along the way, or did the plot events unfold naturally or organically?

I felt a little manipulated, I suppose, though I think that was just my surprise at certain shifts from the POV. The plot was good, though it felt a little lop-sided at the end. A long time to build up and then BAM, it's over!

5. Was the pacing of the story to your liking? Would you consider the story more plot-driven (events unfolding quickly) or character-driven (more time spent developing characters' inner lives), and did that style work?

There was certainly a lot of plot, but I also think way too much happened in way too few pages at the end. I wanted more immediately!

6. Did you expect the ending or were you surprised? Did you find the ending satisfying, or did you want it to end a different way?

I was a little surprised (I didn't have the details perfect). I liked the ending though.

7. Based on this book, would you be interested in continuing the series (if applicable) and/or reading other books by the same author? Is there anything you'd like to ask the author after finishing their book?

I'll take a break for now, but I am interested in reading more (plus my reading-buddy has told me I have to).

message 6: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 13 comments I'm still working on this one, so I scrolled through without reading comments to avoid spoilers. I'll come back though, promise.

I will say that I had claustrophobia fueled dreams after the last time I put it down. It is taking some effort to work up the nerve and keep going, but I will.

message 7: by Jocelyn (new) - added it

Jocelyn (jocelyn73c) I am, once again, going to skip this one. I'm going through a bit of a book funk, so I'm staying away from anything that might seem a bit draining. This does sound intersting, however, especially after reading Kaitlin's questionnaire answers. Wool will definitely be going on my to-read shelf!

message 8: by DM, Decaf Hazelnut Latte (new)

I'll try to post my review this weekend! I really liked this book/series!