UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > Graphic novels. Advice

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments A friend wants advice for a graphic novel for her son. He is an aficionado and enjoys horror and sci-fi.

It'll need to be not main-stream or he'll already know it.

Needs to be easily available as well, please.

He's 22 so sex is quite alright.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22041 comments At 22 he shouldn't need pictures :-)

On a serious note I'll drop an email to some mates of mine who are heavily into graphic novels

Jim

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments I only really know mainstream ones.

On the off chance he hasn't read it already, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1 is regarded as one of the best ones of any genre.

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Sinclair | 985 comments This chap's done some nice looking stuff. I know nothing about graphic novels but have heard good things about this chap and his mate Jock.
http://www.andydiggle.com/

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22041 comments I was told to recommend the Watchmen series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Thanks!

message 8: by Marc (last edited Jan 26, 2015 03:35AM) (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments I've written one, but he'll have to draw all 800 pictures first

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Hehe, Marc!

Hey! Why is my iPad wanting me to call you Narc?

message 10: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments It's a fair cop (or an unfair, sneaky, under cover cop)

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22041 comments Marc wrote: "I've written one, but he'll have to draw all 800 pictures first"

:-)

You and me both

message 12: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Jim wrote: "Marc wrote: "I've written one, but he'll have to draw all 800 pictures first"

:-)

You and me both"

you looking for a graphic artist to illustrate it for you jim?

message 13: by Jim (last edited Jan 26, 2015 10:56AM) (new)

Jim | 22041 comments Until you asked the question, I hadn't even considered it, mainly due to the economics being so utterly set against it.
The artist would have to work the same way as a writer, casting his or her bread upon the waters and hoping that they might get some back. The idea of paying someone to illustrate the book and then hope to get it back through sales is the sort of thing that would have me waking in the middle of the night screaming!

But yes, I think that Justice 4.1 would actually make rather a good graphic novel, and I'd love to work with an artist

Edited to add, I'd love to work with an artist who just wanted to do illustrations based on the book, never mind one who wanted to do the graphic novel

message 14: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments that's exactly where I'm at in this process too. It's a conundrum

message 15: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments I think the artist/writer for graphic novels tend to be the same person.

message 16: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Michael wrote: "I think the artist/writer for graphic novels tend to be the same person."

not with commercial graphic novels

message 17: by Dean (new)

Dean | 1 comments I'd have loved The Darkness back when I was 21, or Preacher

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22041 comments Michael wrote: "I think the artist/writer for graphic novels tend to be the same person."

In the cases where it is the same person, they're a very very talented person

message 19: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments I suppose it could work if there was some kind of royalty split.

But then I'd also assume that the drawist would only want to work on a book that has a solid record of sales behind it before they even dipped their nib.

message 20: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments I always assumed a split. The issue is it takes so long to draw the 800 frames, such an investment of time, you would have to remunerate for a good chunk of that, which means paying out money in advance against sales that are only potential at best.

The way to go would be to hook up with an illustrator, get them to draw up a sample say 8-10 frames from the work and then tout around to publishers for a book deal.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Mate at work bought himself a copy of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo graphic novel.

It's really quite stunning.

message 22: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Mine's better #justsayin'

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22041 comments The outlay in money (potentially) and time (certainly) is too high to do this as a speculative thing, unless you are the artist and have nothing better to do with your time. (You don't need to draw just to earn a living)

message 24: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments which is why I haven't really pursued it, despite my investment of time in storyboarding 800 frames of graphic description & speech bubbles with text

message 25: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments You need a retired illustrator with nack all to do, Marc"

message 26: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Kath wrote: "You need a retired illustrator with nack all to do, Marc""

trouble is illustrators' styles even more subjective than an author's writing style. Not all of them are going to suit

message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments You have a CHOICE? ;)

message 28: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments no of course not. Just fantasising

message 29: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments To give you some idea of what is at play, it's about a serial killer but I want it all done in pastel shades!

message 30: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments The Pink Slayer!?

message 31: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments I don't want to give too much away, but there is one small detail running through that isn't pastel shades...

message 32: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Ooooh. Come on, you illustrator!

message 33: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Schlock Mercenary is scifi - http://www.schlockmercenary.com It's done initially as a "web comic" but available in proper book form too.

Howard Tayler (who writes, draws, inks and colours it) is one of the presenters of the Writing Excuses podcast.

But if you want to get real fancy, there's the new hardback omnibus edition of Neil Gaiman's Sandman in 2 volumes (for £175...):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandman-Omnib...
and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandman-Omnib...

message 34: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22041 comments Just to say I follow Schlock Mercenary daily, and it's good :-)

message 35: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Murphy (bmzmurphy) | 12 comments Are graphic novels easy to read on a kindle?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments They work better on a kindle app on a tablet, I'd say.

message 37: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I have a feeling that graphic novels will only install on a tablet, app or Kindle Fire, and not on the e-Ink devices.