A Good Thriller discussion

Suggestions/Comments > Which Member Author Would You Like to Do a Q & A

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Jan 25, 2015 10:12AM) (new)

Sean Peters | 9510 comments Mod
Here I am placing a thread to ask for your comments, I am approached from authors, who reply to my group message, that they would like to do a Q & A.

I personally like this idea, but also believe that these authors have to give to our group also, do you agree, maybe just a little time.

I know many are busy, but I do very much enjoy our regular author contributions, especially Ty and David, who are regular posters.

Here are a few names of authors who would like to do a Q & A.

Dawn Whidden, a few have read her first book.

Carla Kovach

Carla Krueger

Michael Rubin

Maryann

Martin Link.

Plus one I would like to get

C. L Taylor

Dave Edlund

Tom Bale(Micael Harrison)

L.E Fraser

Please add your comments, authors suggestions here.

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5647 comments I would like a Q &A with L.E. Fraser (Lori). She is also a pretty regular contributor to the threads and has even been on the Hot Seat. Her first book is Simon Says: The Perdition Games and I really enjoyed it.

message 3: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments Yes, I've spoken to L.E. a few times on the threads. Her book is on my TBR list. I think she did the hot-seat too.

message 4: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Okay another to the list

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven Tyler (steventyler) | 36 comments Never heard of any of them. So many authors, so little time.

message 6: by Ty (new)

Ty Patterson | 542 comments I've read L.E's book. More than happy to have her do a Q&A.

the reading universe which includes Goodreads and this forum is so biased towards trad authors that anything that can be done to help us indie authors, especially those who engage with forum members, will be appreciated.

And on that note, on all the reading challenges and the Pick My Read challenges going on, I do hope the members cast an eye towards the books of us good citizen authors.

There are about 1800 members on this forum. If even 1/4th of them read our books, we would inch that much more closer to breaking out of anonymity.

message 7: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2015 12:58PM) (new)

Steven,

Look up Dave Edlund, member here author, scientist, professor in chemistry, expert on weapons.

Two great novels with a character called Peter Savage.

message 8: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5751 comments Mod
But it's not the traditional authors' fault that the bias is there, it has been and always will be. I didn't really learn of indie authors until I joined Twitter. Initially I was impressed that on Amazon so many books could be acquired fairly cheaply or for free, it was through experience that I learned about self publishing. And from what I've seen traditional authors don't have it easy either.

I'm all for indie authors that contribute within our group do a Q&A but I'm not in favour of those that just want to use is as a self promotion tool and then disappear again. We've been lucky to get some big names in the past and I hope that continues. There are many traditional authors that I have listed that many haven't heard of. There are big names, there are lesser known names. I personally would just like a nice balance if at all possible.

message 9: by H.N. (new)

H.N. Wake | 107 comments I like the Q&As!

(And of course, I have to agree with Ty on doing some highlighting of the indie authors. But agree with Janet that trad authors don't have it great either.)

message 10: by Ty (new)

Ty Patterson | 542 comments I haven't said it is the trad authors fault.

message 11: by Janet , Moderator (new)

I never said you did!

I'm looking forward to Mel Sherratt's Q&A, not only is she a lovely lady I think I may be right in thinking she may be self published author. Will be interesting to find out her story.

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5647 comments I would also like to suggest H.N. Wake who has her debut novel out. I see H.N. on the threads fairly regularly these days. I plan to download her book from Amazon if I don't win a copy in the GR giveaway!

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5647 comments Janet wrote: "I never said you did!

I'm looking forward to Mel Sherratt's Q&A, not only is she a lovely lady I think I may be right in thinking she may be self published author. Will be interesting to find out ..."

I participated in Mel's Q&A in another group, and she is awesome. In fact, last night I went to Amazon and 1-clicked every one of her books, something I have never done before with any other author. She will be a joy to have here.

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5647 comments I agree with Janet. I love our own Good Thriller authors, but think anyone with good books should be fair game. Mix them up.

message 15: by H.N. (new)

H.N. Wake | 107 comments Christine wrote: "I would also like to suggest H.N. Wake who has her debut novel out. I see H.N. on the threads fairly regularly these days. I plan to download her book from Amazon if I don't win a copy in the GR ..."

Thank you!

message 16: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Agreed, Christine!

message 17: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2015 01:10PM) (new)

Yes it is a mixture we have to try to get right.

Top authors attract more questions, and more members.

Indie authors do have a following here, and I very much enjoy having them as members, but as Janet said, I do get annoyed when they us ONLY to promote, and not be a semi-active member.

I know some author members have joined maybe a year ago added one post in that time and are members of 30-40 other groups and do the same.

To me it is give and take, we help each other, you help the group and we help you.

I also understand some authors are busy as well, traveling and promoting.

In our Q & A's a couple of our indie authors failed to get 5-6 questions, which is bad.

So the balance is just so important.

As seen above Steven says, I don't know any of the above authors, a fair point, although those were members here.

Ty and David, we know you and all the other active members, so as members get to know you better, a Q & A become more realistic.

Just my thoughts.

message 18: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Watts | 8 comments I'd be happy to do a Q&A

message 19: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments It's a fair and valid point, Sean. Janet mentioned doing a Q&A to me not long after I first joined the group, but I held back, wanting to become an actual member of the group first. Therein, my primary reason for regularly posting is because I enjoy interacting with the members, as a reader.

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5647 comments When I say anyone with a good book should be considered, I want to clarify that preference definitely be given to our own, like Ty and David. But I do think we can accommodate others as well, especially the more well-known authors to assure adequate participation. Of course, Ty and David are very well-known...(-:

message 21: by Janet , Moderator (new)

I don't think it's about preference. I wouldn't like to think an author is a member of our group and only takes part in order to sell their books. There's a coldness about that that is not attractive at all. People should come first, selling after. I'm all for supporting and being there, helping where we can. Sean is right, it is about giving and taking but I for one am about getting to know our members as people and if they have a book to sell, well that's a bonus. But cold hardline selling is a complete turnoff and not what this group is about. I do occasionally look at other groups and I think we're pretty easygoing here compared to some who take much tougher approaches. Big names do draw in the crowds but in the last few months members have been reading lesser known names and that's been encouraging to see. We're on the right tracks, hopefully that will continue. The bottom line is we're not a bookstore/shop, we're an online book group to share our thoughts interests in what we've read/will read It's not our responsibilty to sell books but if we can help our friends occasionally then that's great.

message 22: by Gopal (new)

Gopal (gopaliyer) | 521 comments Christine wrote: "I would also like to suggest H.N. Wake who has her debut novel out. I see H.N. on the threads fairly regularly these days. I plan to download her book from Amazon if I don't win a copy in the GR ..."

Christine, H.N was gracious enough to give me a copy of her book for review and I must say I was very impressed with the book. I have put up my review on goodreads as well as on my blog.

Indie authors need all the help that they can get, but I agree we should not be patronizing authors who only show up on the group to promote their books.

Indie authors like Ty, H.N, David are a very active part of our group and I would like to see a Q & A session with the authors who are active on the group.

Big name authors answering Q & A would be super fun too!!1

message 23: by Christine (last edited Feb 01, 2015 05:06AM) (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5647 comments Hi Gopal!! I am so pleased you liked H.N.'s book as I definitely plan to read it too. I will go read your review now.

Couldn't find it on Goodreads, Gopal, but read it on Amazon. Just excellent! Would you consider posting it on Goodreads so our group will make sure to see it? I know I read GR reviews much more than Amazon reviews.

message 24: by Alex (new)

Alex Dolan (alexdolan) Paula Hawkins
Megan Abbott
Joyce Carol Oates (I know, tough get, but I do have a literary crush on her)
Robert Pobi
Stephen Dobyns (who seems like he might be reclusive)
Katie Crouch

message 25: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Not sure is they are all members here.

Megan Abbott is a friend.

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda Strong (linstrong) | 480 comments Joe Conlan

message 27: by Mariam (new)

Mariam | 1 comments John saul
lauren kate

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie Brown | 2 comments I'd like to suggest a q & A with Hugh Greene..love the Dr Power books...The Darkening Sky

message 29: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (nocturnal777) | 18 comments Linwood Barclay

message 30: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Linwood Barclay is a member, but not really on here on good reads.

He joined goodreads just to do a Q & A for our group, as a favour for me.

Have a look on the authors Q & A you will see his there.

message 31: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments After reading the first Adrian Hell book (True Conviction: An Adrian Hell Thriller) I'll sugest James P. Sumner and according to member list he is one of us. What do you think Sean?

message 32: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Another author to check out, did not know he was a member.

message 33: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments BTW he is British :-)

message 34: by ReadAlongWithSue (new)

ReadAlongWithSue Jennifer Jaynes

message 35: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Not a member thst I know of.

message 36: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (nocturnal777) | 18 comments Being new to the group I'm wondering how we're supposed to know who is and is not an 'author member' of this group? And just asking a Goodreads author to participate may persuade them to join. How about James Rollins or Joseph Finder?

message 37: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Linwood Barclay has done a Q & A here already.

And only for this group.

Joseph Finder is not a member or James Rollins.

Many authors have sites and homepages, but done by their publishers, some very hard to get hold.

If you want to know who is a member, the only way for all of us, is go through the members of the group

Many of authors are featured/ or post in all the author areas, some are active members and post a lot.

message 38: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5647 comments You can find out if someone belongs to A Good Thriller by going to the group page, tapping "members" in the right upper corner box of selections, then filling in name in "search" bar that comes up on next page.

message 39: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (nocturnal777) | 18 comments Do they need to be a member to do a Q&A? Both Joseph Finder and James Rollins are on my friend's list. I could ask them if they would do a Q&A for the group sometime. The worst they could possibly say is no.

message 40: by James (new)

James Sumner (jamespsumner) | 4 comments Hi!

I'm sorry I don't get on here all that much, but I'm thrilled at the idea of being put forward for a Q&A, and I'd love to do one with you guys!

Cheers

James

message 41: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Great!

message 42: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5647 comments I would like to have Aussie author Susan May come do a Q&A with our group. Her book is Deadly Messengers which is starting to pile up some excellent reviews. I know she would offer her book free or for 99 cents. She has recently joined A Good Thriller and has participated A LOT on the threads so far. I think she would be terrific to have, Sean.

message 43: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Christine

Quite a few of her books look good, put on my to read books, let's get a few to read her books.

I think Burning Man will win our October Vote, and now we need to ask the author to join in.

Laura Griffin and Mary Kubica booked looking busy, only December free, but can try to read myself soon.

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan May (susanmaywriter) Christine wrote: "I would like to have Aussie author Susan May come do a Q&A with our group. Her book is Deadly Messengers which is starting to pile up some excellent reviews. I know she would offer her book free o..."

Thank you, Christine. Here I am spying/stalking you and all my new friends in the group. Sean, I would love to do a Q & A here. I notice quite a few members have already read Deadly Messengers or are reading it.

I'd also like to nominate an author: Michael Robotham. He's an Aussie author and I've interviewed him and know him through that. Stephen King named his bookSay You're Sorry in his top 3 books to read of 2012. His latest book out is Close Your Eyes has just been released. He's a really smart nice guy and one of the top thriller writers in Australia and sells well overseas too.

I notice he also reviews books here, so is part of Good Reads. I tell you his book Say You're Sorry, you just can't put down. It's addictive from the first page.

message 45: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments I read and enjoyed a Robotham book, Susan. Really enjoyed it and will definitely read more.

Not bumped into you on the threads before, so hi, and welcome to a great GR group.

message 46: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2015 05:28AM) (new)

Susan

Thanks for the PM's and I think we should look at December and January for a read along and Q & A, maybe 3rd week of December.

Not read Robotham book myself, but I know popular here, and sometime early next year would be good.

message 47: by Rhonda (last edited Aug 30, 2015 11:52PM) (new)

Rhonda Wunder | 587 comments I am a big fan of Michael Robotham I recommend starting with Suspect when reading his main character. I believe the second book is Lost. I have enjoyed every one in this series.

message 48: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Now fully booked for the rest of the year.

With Q& A real along and our top authors Q & A

And 2-3 of our own authors reads.

As well as Book Pal

and Pick It For Me..

message 49: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5647 comments Sean, could you sum up who we have for Q&As and group read/Q&A for the rest of the year so we can plan our reading? Thanks for all you do for this great group!

message 50: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Yes, as of the moment.

Dates to be confirmed, authors are so at replying.

But Laura Griffin, a BOTM in October and Q * A end of October.

Mary Kubica BOTM for November and Q & A for November

September for the month and Q*A David Saniforth

October BOTM and read along looks like The Burning Man, by the votes so far by Solange Ritchie.

November maybe if correctly wanted the second place voted book (either Susan Fleet or Martin Link)or both for December, if demand is there.

I think with all other things it is enough.

And the read along and Q & A is if the demand and voting is there, and authors agree for a Q & A at the time.

« previous 1