SFF Readalongs led by Kitty G discussion

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
This topic is about Deadhouse Gates

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
Discussion of Chapter 22 ONLY please, no spoilers for any other part of the book!

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 71 comments There is absolutely no comparison between Coltaine and the now deceased High Fist. Coltaine took advice from his advisors but his decisions were uniquely his. Pormqual panicked when the trap was set and completely relied on Mellick Rel's advice, which was to double cross the empire.

I felt for sure that Duiker would be one to survive the entire series as he had started a list of the fallen which I assumed would become the Malazan Book of the Fallen. After reading of his death, he is one I assume will not be reborn. The vision of three leagues of crucified soldiers along Aren Way is a haunting image. It is like that final brutal image that stay with you after watching a horror movie.

On a lighter note, Kalam hunting the Claw is all kinds of awesome!

Paul (paul_sff) | 68 comments I just hope that Mel Gibson never creates the movie based off this book. That 3 leagues of crucified soldiers would be brutal to watch.

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
3 leagues.... wow...just...brutal...

message 5: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 159 comments What a tragic waste of 10,000 lives! And even more so when you think of how Coltaine and the remnants of his army died due to the cowardice of Pormqual and betrayal of Mallick Rel.

As I've mentioned before for Chapter 21, that Coltaine's soul will be "reiterated" as the Wickans call it, does not render the tragedy at the gates of Aren any lesser.

Not only did the refugees did not thank Coltaine and his army, Nethpara had the gall to call Coltaine a criminal of war for causing the deaths of thousands of refugees. I literally wanted to reach into the book and strangle that man alive!

After a week since I've finished DG and halfway into MOI, I still can't get Coltaine's Fall out of my mind.