SFF Readalongs led by Kitty G discussion

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
This topic is about Deadhouse Gates

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
Discussion of Chapter 11 ONLY please, no spoilers for any other part of the book!

Paul (paul_sff) | 68 comments Great chapter. Things are starting to move forward more. Nice to finally see Shadowthorn again.

If Mappo is going to have to kill Icarium when he gets his self back, I'm going to burn this book. =) Not really, but I really hope it doesn't go in that direction.

The Tremelor gang is the best part of this story imo. I can't believe that Aspalar's father is the servant! tricky tricky Shadowthorn. I don't really want her to become the whirlwind goddess. Maybe they can turn Crokus into the goddess. :P

Mappo and Fiddler's conversation outside was great at the beginning of the chapter.

Really interesting chapter as you mentioned Paul! I am thinking it's all really getting exciting with all those revelations and links.

Not much to add other than I also hope that Icarium doesn't end up killed by Mappo! Maybe we can kill off Felisin or some other character I dislike? :)

Loved seeing more of Shadowthrone too :)

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 71 comments I have a feeling the deal with Baudin and Heboric going through the warren (flames?) with the dragon is going to have far reaching effects. There was a moment where Erikson seemed to reveal they have gained some type of power from going through the experience. It is funny that Baudin's protection of Felisin actually keeps her from receiving these possible benefits of this experience.

Evan thought Felisin finding the talon in Baudin's bag had some significance and here we find out why that is so. The Talon represents the other covert military arm of the empire created by Dancer. Laseen created The Claw and rooted out The Talon's from the empire or so she thinks. Somehow the Adjunct is involved in all of this as she seems to have sent Heboric to protect her sister, which makes all of Felisin's hate seem a bit misplaced. Through this (if we didn't know already) we find Felisin was completely in love with Beneth and will never forgive Heboric for killing him, which in fact we now see was to protect Felisin who never would have left otherwise. There was a lot in this section and after learning more about Felisin and Heboric I am very much intrigued to how this will all play out.

Much like Durujhistan in GotM, Aren looks to be where all roads are leading. Halfway through the book I am enjoying GotM a little more than DG, even with the big revelations we have seen throughout the first half of DG. With a big ending like we had with GotM I can see DG taking the my number one spot of most enjoyable book of the series.

Yes I totally forgot to mention the Dragon situation but I love Dragons and that was a cool section!