SFF Readalongs led by Kitty G discussion

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
This topic is about Deadhouse Gates

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
Discussion of Chapter 9 ONLY please, no spoilers for any other part of the book!

message 2: by Paul (last edited Feb 17, 2015 12:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul (paul_sff) | 68 comments The T'lan Imass stuff was a little confusing. Interesting to find out that The Shadow warren is the successor of Kurald Emurlahn warren that the Tiste Edur used.

This chapter generally was a little bit confusing I felt. I certainly thought that we had some character development with Baudin and Felisin at the end of the chapter and whilst I liked seeing the Bonecasters and the T'lann Imass I also found it a tad confusing.

I like how the story is developing, yet at the moment Deadhouse isn't as interesting as Gardens of The Moon was for me by this point. Of course this is a longer book and therefore maybe it's a bit slower to really get into it. I just feel like whilst I am enjoying the book and I do like the events we're seeing the confusion I'm having over some aspects does make it harder than GotM.

Of course I'm still carrying on as I definitely want to see what will happen, just my current comparison thoughts for book #1 and #2!

message 4: by Paul (last edited Feb 17, 2015 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul (paul_sff) | 68 comments Along the same lines of your thoughts, I can notice a huge difference in the pacing, and tone of this book compared to GotM. The pacing in DG seems to be deliberately slower than GotM. GotM had a lot more side plots and "going-ons" than DG at this point. DG is more of slow burn, get you really involved in the conflict of the Seven Cities.

Overall, it just seems deliberately slowed down some. The lack of setting changes makes it even more so. This is one sandy book. The trek through the desert is very similar to the pacing of the book.

However, that does not mean I'm not enjoying it. I do enjoy more slow burn type of books, so I'm alright with that. I'm on chapter 10, and now that Duiker is with the rest of the Malazans, it has picked up a little.

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 71 comments I am at the beginning of 11 and the slight confusion is one reason I did not comment on 8, 9 or 10. I will be ready to plunge into 11 tonight.

Dale Nevin | 20 comments I have found DG easier to follow then GotM, but maybe have just gotten used to Eriksons style a bit more. I have found when things get confusing that they often click a chapter or two later. So have just learnt to trust that if something was confusing to keep plugging along.
But there is a lot to try to take in. So many different warrens, gods, ascendants, races, ancient races.... you get the picture :)

Agreed :) I'm glad I'm not alone in my thoughts :) I'll be reading some more of this today for sure as I am enjoying it :)

Evan | 67 comments The way I reacted to this book on my first read in regards to the change of pace and tone, etc. from Gardens of the Moon, the word that appeared to me was 'focus'. This book to me just feels much more focused compared to Gardens of the Moon. This book ultimately has four big plots: The Chain of Dogs, Tremelor, Kalam, and Felisin. Compare that to Gardens, I don't even feel like trying to count them all. Erikson's writing is alot smoother here and manages to intertwine all of these plots in relation to eachother and the rebellion of Seven Cities as the shadow looming over all the proceedings. It's a grand scheme and its handled deftly.

As for the T'lan Imass stuff. That's just a piece of a puzzle you're just now stumbling across, and it's not even a corner piece. Again Erikson really captures how old the T'lan Imass are as well as how crappy the nature of immortality can be when Legana volunteers his soul to bridge the wound and endure an eternity of torment. It is here also that Erikson shows us the hope of humanity. He's a bleak dude, no one can deny that. He's got a beef with civilization, society, and often doesn't think humanity lives up to the potential that it should. The T'lan Imass gave themselves immortality for the sake of vengeance and warfare at the cost of geez, everything. And yet here an Imass sacrifices himself for the eternity of its existence for the sake of others. And its the horror of this humility that hits Stormy so hard, and even brings him shame. A hard moment, but a good one.

Things to wonder about that scene, why is Kurald Emurlahn flooded? Why did the T'lan Imass call Kulp and the rest servants of the Chained One?