SFF Readalongs led by Kitty G discussion

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
This topic is about Deadhouse Gates

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
Discussion of Chapter 6 ONLY please, no spoilers for any other part of the book!

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 71 comments I had to make the comment about the Obelisk card in the Deck of Dragons in the Chapter 4 thread because I thought of it when reading and it popped up out of nowhere here two chapters later. Reading between the lines My theory is Iskaral Pust is leading Moppo and Icarium (who are virtually clueless) into a trap where one is sacrificed so Sha'ik can be reborn.

This chapter is a whirlwind of events indeed. Erikson paints a harrowing picture of gloom, despair, violence and chaos during the rebellion in the city.

I am happy Felisin was able to escape the prison. She has garnered such sympathy with me that I can't help but cheer her progress forward to the eventual showdown with her sister. The swarm of bugs was a very chilling scene and the most memorable for me in this chapter.

message 3: by Paul (last edited Feb 16, 2015 02:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul (paul_sff) | 68 comments Wow, that scene in Hissar with all the dead was brutal. I have to admit, the Malazans and Wickans with Coltaine haven't really captured my interest like the other character's stories.

I'm glad Erikson changed Apsalar's character from the end of book one to this book. She is much more engaging and her remembering all of The Rope's abilities make her more interesting.

One tiny thing for me, is the lack of varying settings. So much sand. I like The Seven Cities area but I wouldn't mind a side story that ran parallel with this one, somewhere else.

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
I have just finished up this chapter and must agree with Paul and Alex. I am also glad that Felisin got away and agree that the scene with all the bugs was pretty dark and gross, certainly one I wouldn't like to witness in reality!

I also thought that the scenes of the dead were rather dark and gloomy, certainly there's a lot more grumpy, sad and brutal scenes which we've already come across compared to book 1, and whilst I enjoy the darker nature and the more gritty approach, so much bloodshed and death was a bit crazy! (although I am sure this will only get worse as we go on).

I will agree with Alex when I say that the characters with Coltaine also haven't really become favourites of mine yet, I do like seeing all our old favourites and I certainly like the progression of Sorry/Apsalar too now she's a stronger character. I do hope she gets to take part more as the plot goes on.

As for The Deck of Dragons I also noticed that card and have a feeling that there may be some treachery afoot there. Certainly Pust is one to watch and I wonder what he's truly planning. (I do like your theory though Alex!)