SFF Readalongs led by Kitty G discussion

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
This topic is about Deadhouse Gates

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
Discussion of Chapter 4 ONLY please, no spoilers for any other part of the book!

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 71 comments After finishing this chapter all I can say is poor Felisin. I absolutely never saw Erikson taking the violence to that level. Felisin feels like a very real character. She is willing to make shady associations in the name of survival and those associations have left her in worse shape than if she would have just worked like a normal captive. Guards who remembered her from Unta note she has aged 10 years in mere months. I hope to see her bounce back from the situation she has put herself in because it does not look good at this point.

After Kalam's accidental reading I feel we haven't seen the last of Sorry. It will be quite interesting to see how The Rope will play into the assassination attempt and if Kalam uses The Rope's help if it will backfire on the Bridgeburners.

I have no idea what to think of the Moopo/Icarium situation. They have stumbled upon something huge and their priest is much much more than he seems.

I don't understand the final scene with Duiker and the dung beetle and what it foreshadows.

Alex wrote: "After finishing this chapter all I can say is poor Felisin. I absolutely never saw Erikson taking the violence to that level. Felisin feels like a very real character. She is willing to make shady ..."

I pretty much agree with everything Alex was saying. I too think that the scenes with Felisin are dark and make her seem not only forced to be something I never really expected her to, but reduced to something she herself must loathe to be.
I feel for her for sure and I wonder how her story will get better/worse as we go on. I am sure it will do both over the course of the story, and I think that she will be an interesting character to watch because of the tumultuous situation she's in right now.

I think that the section with Kalam was interesting and seeing him in the place with the old lady (the con-woman) was intriguing. I liked seeing the deck again even though briefly as I feel that this is certainly going to be something we shall see more of.

The Mappo and Icarium situation is certainly a bit up in the air. It seems that they have found the Gate where all the Soultaken and D'ivers are and that's certainly something to do with this whole Whirlpool business.
I wonder how they will stay tied into the story and what their aims will be knowing now what they do.

The final section with Duiker and Sormo E'nath was definitely a weird one and the foreshadowing of the dung beetle wasn't something I considered too much (knowing that as with most of these books so far it'll probably come back to haunt me but right now I have no idea).
I liked seeing Sormo do some magic (although it was kind of catastrophic due to the interruption of a Demon) and I think he's a character I quite like.

Iskaral Pust is one who I am also really interested in as it seems that he talks a lot and just speaks all his thoughts out loud (not that it helps us much as he seems a little disorganised and although he knows a lot he doesn't let out a lot of knowledge we can understand).

I'm really starting to get back into these books again now and I wonder where everything is headed. I hope to read some more tomorrow and get the next chapter done at least :D

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 71 comments Something I noticed and forgot to mention in my post is that once she laid down Obelisk Kalam immediately knew it was a fake reading. This leads me to believe that if we see Obelisk laid down first on another reading that it is a fake and could lead characters astray.

Alex wrote: "Something I noticed and forgot to mention in my post is that once she laid down Obelisk Kalam immediately knew it was a fake reading. This leads me to believe that if we see Obelisk laid down first..."

A good point! :D

message 6: by Paul (last edited Feb 15, 2015 07:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul (paul_sff) | 68 comments Near the beginning of this novel I didn't really like Mappo and Icarium but now they are my favorite character duo. I think their relationship is interesting and I enjoyed their scenes in this chapter.

Everything that happened with Sormo was just him having a bad awake dream or something right? All those things weren't really there, he was just creating them himself, but it also showed him information about the gathering.

When it comes to Felisin, I believe she is an addict from that one substance, and it has impacted her thinking tremendously. I feel bad for her but I think they are about to break out soon.

I'm surprised Kalam didn't figure out the people that walked into that guard station was following him.