SFF Readalongs led by Kitty G discussion

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
This topic is about Deadhouse Gates

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaitlin (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
Discussion of the Prologue ONLY please, no spoilers for any other part of the book!

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 71 comments I was hoping to jump straight back into the familiar characters and stories from GotM, however we are treated with new character with familiar beginnings. Felisin and newly appointed Adjunct Tavore are in fact sisters of our friend Paran. The two sisters have taken opposing paths with Felisin remaining loyal to her family while Tavore has forsaken her family name for the Empress. The Empress is doing what was fear would happen in an empire controlled Darujistan, the nobility is being killed or at least imprisoned.

I can see some signs that DG is going to be more violent than GotM was. The gory details of Baudin's push to the front of the crowd and the demise of Lady Gaesen were told in shocking detail.

Evan | 67 comments I don't have my copy of Deadhouse Gates with me, and I don't know when I'll be able to get back to my folks' house to pick it up. But I'll try to recollect what I can from when I read this book two years ago.

I remember feeling when I read this prologue for the first time that it was the start of an experience very different from Gardens of the Moon. The trio of child Felisin, handless tattoo'd Heboric, and savage Baudin was just so unique and bizarre. Where else could you see three characters like this thrust together. And when Baudin saws Gaesen's head off, that sets the tone for what is to follow so perfectly, chains have meaning here.

And the bit with the priest of Hood covered in flies. That image is so macabre and ethereal. When he speaks to Heboric, its like a conversation between gods through mortal vessels. And then the flies disperse, leaving nothing underneath. Just gives me a chill.

peggylovesbooks | 36 comments It was interesting that we see Felisin a slave, her sister an Adjunct. It is a bloody prologue, I got a little squimishy when Baudin sawed Lady Gaesenns head off. It was a good way to keep the masses from them. Cant wait to see what happens to Felisin.

I have a question, this is still in the same timeline (the ninth year of the Empress) as with Gardens of the Moons where they are ending?

Well it begins again! Once more we're thrown straight into the action and brutality of the Malazan world. This seems to have been a fair while after the events in Darujistan as it involves Paran's sisters and they have knowledge of his 'death' which means that it's not too far in the future from where GotM left off.

I have to say it was a brutal beginning and the beheading situation was very dark... The fact that Erikson doesn't shy away from the horrors of this world was great and truly made me appreciate how brutal and nasty it it.

There are some new characters such as Felisin, Paran's sister who's being rounded up with the nobility as a kind of cull by Laseen, and his other sister Tavore who is now an Adjunct and is doing the rounding up.
It's an interesting comparison to see how each of the sisters dealt with the 'death' of Paran and the paths that they decided to take and I look forward to seeing a bit more from them both. We don't yet really know Tavore's motivations and I wonder if this is something we will get more of.
As for Felisin, she seems to be a little naive and the scale of the events around her are both horrific and emotional for her. The fact the she's being dragged along and shepherded in order to stay alive is a pretty dramatic intro.

The flies-covered Priest certainly seems interesting as he's a shadow servant for Hood? That is always interesting to see and Hood seems to be one of my favourite God characters so I wonder if we shall see more from this priest and Hood in this book than in the first (as the first seemed more focused on Oponn).

Looking forward to the introduction of some of the characters from GotM as I know that some of them will make a reappearance and I'm intrigued as to who, where they've been and what they're planning now!

Mpauli I remember that this prologue had a very intense and dark vibe for me as well.

I want to establish a little bridge here to show what I like about Erikson's writing.
Think back to the scene in Gardens of the Moon, where Adjunct Lorn confronts Tattersail about the cruelties in the Mouse quarter.
The essence of this is that we learn that an Adjunct has to detach herself from her former life.
Knowing this, the understanding here is a lot better for why a sister like Tavore might be able to hand over Felisin into imprisonment here.

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 71 comments Yes I thought about this after reading Kaitlin's post this morning but was unable to post a reply. There is so much possibility with where Erikson can go with this situation. Tavore may ultimately have a choice between her old life and serving the Empress. Lorn showed how one can snap out of the mindset an Adjunct takes along with her position, if Tavore does just that she could save Felisin. If she stays loyal to the mindset of her position Felisin may well be doom or fight her way to help her sister.

I agree with Michael on the love of Erikson's writing. He seems to throwback to little almost random event from the previous book. It is one aspect that completely hooks me into the series, and I always have a rewarding feeling when I figure out an unwritten connection.

Paul (paul_sff) | 68 comments Hood's Breath, that prologue was awesome and brutal. Some amazing descriptions, just in the prologue that really captured me.

I'm starting a little late on this one, so you'll see me replying to the other chapters now. =0

message 9: by Alex (last edited Feb 11, 2015 02:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 71 comments Glad you are joining us, I thought Kaitlin and I were the only ones reading it this month.

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul (paul_sff) | 68 comments I'm bad at reading multiple books at once and I had a few to read before I started this. I'm happy I'm here now though!

message 11: by Evan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Evan | 67 comments Haha I would be reading it if I had my copy with me. I should dig up some chapter summaries to give myself a refresher and comment that way. Cause there are definitely some portions of this book I want to reflect on.

James Chatham (jameschatham) | 35 comments Finally starting this book, I had a couple to get through before starting this one. This prologue really sets the mood as a brutal story. Once again, Erikson's writing style is really pulling me in to the events at hand

Yay for everyone joining us :D