Dungeons and Drinking - Geeky Nerdy Readers discussion

Plug-a-Book!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Catan (academicmeeple) | 3 comments Mod
I need more fantasy and sci-fi books to read, as I have been rather lacking lately. So go ahead and suggest some that you think that I cannot continue living my life without reading them!

:D

message 2: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 2 comments You can never read too many fantasy books!

A few of my favourites are:

Everything by Brandon Sanderson!
His mistborn trilogy: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson

He also wrote a steampunk fatasy set in the same world as Mistborn but several hundred years after the main series The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4) by Brandon Sanderson . it was good but not a patch on the main series.

Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1) by Brandon Sanderson and Elantris by Brandon Sanderson are also awesome.

Trudi Canavan is my other favourite fantasy author. Everything she writes is great but her Age of the Five trilogy is amazing: Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1) by Trudi Canavan Last of the Wilds (Age of the Five, #2) by Trudi Canavan Voice of the Gods (Age of the Five, #3) by Trudi Canavan

message 3: by Aoife (new)

Aoife O'connor | 1 comments I highly recommend Rivers of London and its sequels, by Ben Aaronovitch Rivers of London (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2) by Ben Aaronovitch Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3) by Ben Aaronovitch Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4) by Ben Aaronovitch Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5) by Ben Aaronovitch

Main character is a copper (starts off as just finishing off his probationary period) in London, who ends up in the Met's wizard division, doing magic. Really good books. Fun, exciting, funny reads. (Peter is the narrator and he's a massive nerd, so it's great to play "spot the sci fi or fantasy reference".) But they also deal (in a not too in-your-face way) with stuff like race and class and immigration, and, I suppose, just who London belongs to really. But all that is completely ignorable for the magic and ghosts and river gods if you prefer.

message 4: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 2 comments Aoife wrote: "I highly recommend Rivers of London and its sequels, by Ben Aaronovitch Rivers of London (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2) by Ben Aaronovitch[bookcover:Whispers Under Ground|1571..."

I've been meaning to read these for ages, I'd forgotton about them, thanks for the reminder!