paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

Old Flames
This topic is about Old Flames
group reads archive > February 2015 Group Read - Old Flames 100% spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Old Flames by Jack Ketchum won the vote for February's group read.

Just a reminder that you don't have to post anything in spoilers but you can only discuss up to the % stated in the discussion thread.

I haven't read anything by Ketchum in a while so I'm looking forward to this. :D

Addy | 1944 comments Yay! Love me some Ketchum!

Maxine Marsh | 703 comments Mod
I'll be participating in this one. It's free on Kindle Unlimited.

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Hmmm... so tempting.

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Cool. Waiting for my copy to get to the library.

Justin (justineaton) | 3492 comments Mod
I would like to do this one but money is tight right now, I'm going to check the library.

Vicki Willis I am going to read this one too!

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Justin, you should check to see if anyone on HA has a lendable version of the book.

Ok, got my copy I'm in.

message 10: by Andy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Ketchum always gets me. He's suck an amazing writer, but you'd be hard pressed to find more disturbing content.

What's everyone's favorite Ketchum? My vote goes to Off Season. Holy shit, right?

The only Ketchum I have read is off season and I'm not Sam. I loved them both, maybe after this one I will finally get around to offspring since I have had it for awhile now.

message 12: by Addy (last edited Jan 28, 2015 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments My favorite is Stranglehold. It just was so intense and emotional and shocking. Just never read anything like it. The Girl Next Door is a close second. I have not read anything bad by him so I have high expectations;)

Vicki Willis I haven't read anything by this author yet. I just got this book off Amazon Prime so I am in.

message 14: by Kate (last edited Jan 28, 2015 10:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Addy wrote: "My favorite is Stranglehold. It just was so intense and emotional and shocking. Just never read anything like it. The Girl Next Door is a close second. I have not read anything bad by him so I have..."

Is that the one he wrote with Ed Lee?
Love the new pic. ;)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments Twenty minutes of thumb typing gone after an accidental screen swipe. I'll try again later with a real keyboard in front of me. My summary will have to suffice for now: I liked it.

message 16: by Andy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Justin, I would buddy read Offspring. I've had it for years.

Sounds good let me know when you want to read it.

11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Twenty minutes of thumb typing gone after an accidental screen swipe. I'll try again later with a real keyboard in front of me. My summary will have to suffice for now: I liked it."

I have done that a few times. Sucks don't it.

message 19: by Andy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments How about in starting in a week or two?

message 20: by Justin (last edited Jan 29, 2015 03:01PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

That works for me. I should be able to finish what I'm reading right now tonight so I can start anytime after that I will probably squeeze one more novel in and then just read some short stories until your ready to start.

message 21: by Andy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Sounds great. I'd been palling to reread offspring first, but that would pron
Baby dampen the sequel ? I'll let you know when I'm ready to go.

message 22: by Justin (last edited Jan 29, 2015 11:54PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

I thought about a re-read of the first one but decided not to for the same reason. Also, now that we are buddy reading we can remind each other if important stuff from the first while discussing this one.

message 23: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Thanks Kate:) Stranglehold is not cowritten with Ed Lee. Maybe ur thinking of Triage? Been wanting to read that one too.

message 24: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Addy wrote: "Thanks Kate:) Stranglehold is not cowritten with Ed Lee. Maybe ur thinking of Triage? Been wanting to read that one too."

I'm thinking of Sleep Disorder.

message 25: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers to 25%. :)

message 26: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Okay, I'm at 25% and really liking the set up of this one. I'm at chapter 12 in case anyone is reading a paperback.
At the moment I'm liking Dora, I don't what she has planned but she doesn't put up with any crap from anyone. I like that!

message 27: by Andy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Andy wrote: "Sounds great. I'd been palling to reread offspring first, but that would pron
Baby dampen the sequel ? I'll let you know when I'm ready to go."

lol, "pron Baby??" WTF was my ipad talking about?

message 28: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Lol. I was wondering the same thing....slippery fingers?...;)

message 29: by Andy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Addy wrote: "Lol. I was wondering the same thing....slippery fingers?...;)"

That was pronbably it...

message 30: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Yeah, pronbaby;) I'll pronbaby use this spelling too from now on.

Vicki Willis I am at 25% (chapter 12). I love this story so far. It was hard for me to stop reading there. Dora is one crazy bitch! I felt bad about Lawrence though. Poor cat was "pron baby" the only one who never let her down. Do you think Will might turn up again?

message 32: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Lol. I see ur catching on Vicki:) I think I'm at 15% and I really like where this is going. Always love a woman scorned kind of a story. As for Will, I hope they don't see each other. He's married and Dora is cracking after all.

message 33: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Had a hard time putting this down. I think I stopped at 26%. I'm not sure what her plan is but Dora is a weird chick. I don't understand why she decided to f# around with Mathew. I'm interested to see where this goes. A part of me wants to like Dora, but I can't.

I stopped at 26% also, the story is really just starting to pick up and get good.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Twenty minutes of thumb typing gone after an accidental screen swipe. I'll try again later with a real keyboard in front of me. My summary will have to suffice for now: I liked it."

Oh yeah. I was gonna say I'd join in but I already read it and mailed the paperback to a friend. But I'll be lurking. Always lurking...

Deborah (brandiec) The Kindle copy of Old Flames also includes "Right to Life" and "Delivery." Are we including all three in the group read? It only took me an hour or so to read the story "Old Flames" in its entirety.

message 37: by Justin (last edited Feb 04, 2015 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yea we are discussing 25% of the entire book (chapter 12) because otherwise it's to hard to figure out where we are at.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments Deborah wrote: "The Kindle copy of Old Flames also includes "Right to Life" and "Delivery." Are we including all three in the group read? It only took me an hour or so to read the story "Old Flames" in its entir..."

The paperback didn't have Delivery. I feel cheated.

Deborah (brandiec) My bad. The formatting was off. "Delivery" is the title of the last section of "Right to Life."

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments Deborah wrote: "My bad. The formatting was off. "Delivery" is the title of the last section of "Right to Life.""

Thanks. I had trouble breathing there for a while :)

Did everyone here see he that he is up for the lifetime achievement Stoker award this year? I think he earned it.

I blew through this one very fast, so I guess I'm going to have to wait until next week because 50% is more or less the end of the first novella.

message 42: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Spoilers changed to 50%. It probably (or pronbaby ;) makes more sense just to finish Old Flames and then start Right to Life next weekend. What do you think?

I read until the end of old flames today, it's close to fifty percent so I stopped there. I say we discuss to the end of old flames for right now.

message 44: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Sounds good. :)

So anyone else finish it? I was disappointed with this one. it wasn't bad, because at least it was well written but it wasn't very good either.

message 46: by Maxine Marsh (last edited Feb 08, 2015 05:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm in the middle, too Justin. There was something missing to make this story make sense, if you know what I mean. But the writing was good. I guess we were supposed to get the hint that Dora was a little crazy and off her rocker in the beginning.

Deborah (brandiec) Without spoiling anything, I can tell y'all that "Right to Life" is much better.

I've already archived my copy of Old Flames, so I can't look up the name of the husband/old flame, but did anyone else note that, early on, there was a suggestion that he and Dora had been involved in something bad (maybe a "gun accident") when they were young. I seem to remember there being an allusion to it at the end, too, but it was never explained.

Deborah wrote: "Without spoiling anything, I can tell y'all that "Right to Life" is much better.

I've already archived my copy of Old Flames, so I can't look up the name of the husband/old flame, but did anyone e..."

If there was I didn't pick up on it.

message 49: by Andy (last edited Feb 08, 2015 09:50PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments I just finished Old Flames. I pretty much agree with the rest of y'all. Very good writing and nice, slow buildup, but the ending just felt rushed.

I felt there were also a few unlikely scenarios. In the pool scene with Dora and Karen, how likely was it that she just went for the ankle of a larger woman from within the pool and ended up causing that kind of damage. I also thought it was really unlikely that she never was suspected in any of the killings. I mean, cops can trace bullets, right? Did she wipe down the gun and place it in Jim's hand? Linda had clearly been talking to several of her friends about how nuts Dora was. Didn't any of them spill the beans?

With these things in mind, it kind of reminded me of a bad, straight to cable movie.

message 50: by Andy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments So, maybe I misread. I just reread the last chapter and Matthew went to see her in jail, right? I got confused by his comment "he must have loved you to do what he did".

Is he implying that Jim killed his kids or that he was crazy to have gotten close to Dora?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Old Flames (other topics)
Sleep Disorder (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jack Ketchum (other topics)