The Hopefuls discussion

Discussions about Books > Can you recommend me a book by an African writer?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Georgia (new)

Georgia (georgia_koumara) | 5 comments Hello all!
I am doing a readathon for 2015 and one of the books I should read is a book by an African writer. I would love to do that, but I realized I do not know any African writers, especially contemporary ones. My usual choice is fantasy, crime and young adult novels but I would love to try out something else too. Does anyone have something in mind? I would love to see all recommendations :)

message 2: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennieelizabeth) | 91 comments For my degree I have read Season of Migrate to the North by Tayeb Salih, who is from Sudan. Even if this is not exactly the African you were after, it is still an amazing book and well worth a read!

message 3: by Natasha (last edited Jan 25, 2015 07:42PM) (new)

Natasha | 44 comments Ooo this sounds like fun! These are the ones that I've read (sorry, they don't really fit the genres you said but they're very... 'African' haha):

I really enjoyed Half of a Yellow Sun, it's by a Nigerian author who's very popular, she's written a couple of other books but I haven't read them.
Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Edit: Ooo I forgot Naguib Mahfouz, an Egyptian author :)

I also read So Long A Letter (Une si longue lettre) for university, it's by a Senegalese author.
So Long a Letter by Mariama Bâ

I haven't read it yet, but one of the next books on my 'to read' list is Things Fall Apart, again by a Nigerian author. It's s staple in African literature that you might have heard of.
Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1) by Chinua Achebe

There's also The Stranger/ The Outsider (L'Étranger), which isn't typical African but it's by a French Algerian author and set in French Algeria. An important book in French literature. It's interesting but I didn't enjoy it too much, very philosophical.
The Stranger by Albert Camus

I was supposed to read Women of Algiers in their Apartment for university, but I never did. It's Algerian again, a collection of short stories.
Women of Algiers in Their Apartment by Assia Djebar, أسيا جبار

I suppose I'd recommend Half of a Yellow Sun or Things Fall Apart the most. Enjoy the readathon anyway!

Edit: Ooo I forgot Naguib Mahfouz, an Egyptian author :)

message 4: by Georgia (new)

Georgia (georgia_koumara) | 5 comments Really great choices, I doubt I can pick only one, but even better :P Thank you both so much!!

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Cartwright | 1 comments Hey Georgia,

Perhaps you will share the joy of discovering Ben Okri.
He has written much and earned some well deserved awards.

Karen

message 6: by Beliz (new)

Beliz | 11 comments I like Amin Maalouf's books, he's a lebanese born author I've read Balthasar's Odyssey and Samarkand and they're both historical fiction (especially in Samarkand it also tells the history of the Assassins so it was very interesting to read because i really like to play Assassin's Creed)

message 7: by Zahro (new)

Zahro Ooh, The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi was good.
She's Nigerian and the book's set in both Nigeria and Britain (but I can't remember how much of each).

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber (thepurplewalrus) I noticed someone suggested Half a Yellow Sun by Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and I suggest another one by her, Purple Hibisus. It's excellent if you don't mind reading something a little more real

message 9: by Zi (new)

Zi | 2 comments Jennie wrote: "For my degree I have read Season of Migrate to the North by Tayeb Salih, who is from Sudan. Even if this is not exactly the African you were after, it is still an amazing book and well worth a read!"

OMG i love that book!

message 10: by Catalina (new)

Catalina (catalinaa) | 152 comments The only book by an African author I can recall reading is Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, I had to read it for school. It's not the type of book I'm used to reading (and based on your interests it doesn't seem to be yours either) but despite that, I thought it was a good book! :)

message 11: by Ned (new)

Ned Gill (neddie) | 1 comments Purple Hibiscus is a very good book even though it is a set GCSE text don't get put off. It's set in Nigeria and has wonderful character development against a cultural very different background. Bit difficult to get Into but once you are away - your away!

message 12: by Keatlaretse (new)

Keatlaretse Sepheko | 2 comments Without a silver spoon by Eddie Iroh..funny,inspirational book set-up in nigeria or Bones by Chenjerai Hove,a Zimbabwean author.. I read them both and they gave me the taste of Africa.