2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2015 > Clare's 45 books for 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments I love to read but tend to stick with thrillers but want to try and read some different books as well as some classics and fairytales so will go for challenge of reading 30 books in 2015. I'm hoping that being part of this group will motivate me in to completing it, more so than if I was doing it alone!

message 2: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments We will do what we can to motivate you! Happy reading:)

message 3: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Welcome to the group, Clare! I know my reading has really broadened by talking with others about what they're reading and participating in challenges. Hopefully it will be the same for you! Good luck with your challenge. :)

message 4: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 1 down 29 to goThe Red House Mystery

message 5: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 2 down, 28 to go: The Devil's Teardrop

message 6: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 3 down, 27 to go: Black Narcissus
Loved it - may have to read the other Rumer Godden books in the tbr pile

message 7: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 4 down, 26 to go: Ross Poldark Winston Graham
An enjoyable reread before the new series starts and I still love it. Holiday in Cornwall needed :)

message 9: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 6 down, 24 to go: UnwantedKristina Ohlsson
I really enjoyed this book - the first in a series.
An intriguing well paced story introducing some interesting characters, each with their own flaws and family issues.
Looking forward to reading the next in the series.

message 10: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 7 down, 23 to go: Hunger Susan Hill

message 11: by Clare (new)

message 12: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 9 down, 21 to go: The Dragonfly Pool Eva Ibbotson
Wish I'd read some of her books when I was a child as one I think my daughter will enjoy as well

message 13: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 10 down, 20 to go: Pinocchio Michael Morpurgo
A lovely bedtime read with my 8 year old daughter which we both loved

message 14: by Bella (new)

Bella | 193 comments Since you mentioned that you wanted to read fairy tales, have you heard of this book:
The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm by Jacob Grimm

It's a new translation of the Brothers Grimm and it's supposed to be very faithful to the original. I just picked it up.

Also, this book The Turnip Princess and Other Newly Discovered Fairy Tales by Franz Xaver Von Schonwerth was just published last month. They've only recently found the manuscripts from the 1800's.

message 15: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments Bella wrote: "Since you mentioned that you wanted to read fairy tales, have you heard of this book:
The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm by Jacob Grimm

It's a new translation of the Bro..."

Thanks Bella. added both to my wish list and will look out for The Turnip Princess and Other Newly Discovered Fairy Tales when it's published here later in the month
Thank you x

message 16: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 11 down 19 to go:

The Silent Touch of Shadows Christina Courtenay

Enjoyable read with some genealogy mixed

message 17: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 12 down 18 to go:
The Skin Collector Jeffery Deaver

Never fails to keep me reading - now ready for the next in the series

message 18: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 13 and 14:
Assassin's Apprentice Robin Hobb
Royal Assassin Robin Hobb
A new fantasy series for me - love it, onto the last now

message 19: by Clare (last edited Jun 13, 2015 12:07AM) (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments Catch up time 15-18

Assassin's Quest Robin Hobb
A Mother's Story Amanda Prowse
Itsy Bitsy SpiderWillow Rose
Run Run As Fast As You CanWillow Rose

Farseer Trilogy completed - won't be the last Robin Hobb books I read! Followed by a couple of new authors:
A Mother's Story - such a moving, emotional story sensitively written about post-natal depression.
A couple of books from the Emma Frost series - quick easy reads that are twisted and disturbing - how much craziness can there be in a small Danish Island town!

message 20: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 19:

The Crane Wife Patrick Ness

I loved this book and will be looking out for the Japanese fairy tale on which it's based

message 21: by Jackie B. - (new)

Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku (reiwing2040) | 1343 comments Clare wrote: "19:

I loved this book and will be looking out for the Japanese fairy tale on which it's based"

Oooh- I didn't know it was based off a fairy tale. That just pushed it up on my TBR list. What did you like about this book in particular?

message 22: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments Jackie B. wrote: "Clare wrote: "19:

I loved this book and will be looking out for the Japanese fairy tale on which it's based"

Oooh- I didn't know it wa..."

I loved the way the Ness wove the fairy tale of the crane and the volcano in with the much more mundane lives of George Duncan and his daughter. It was a beautifully written story full of kindness, love, regret, loss and forgiveness. I also loved the pictures this story created in my mind as I read it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book and know I will come back to it again. Hope you enjoy it too.

message 23: by Clare (new)

message 24: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments And another quick read
Private Berlin James Patterson
2nd read in the Private series - much better than the previous one

message 25: by Renee (last edited Jul 03, 2015 02:53PM) (new)

Renee | 108 comments what did you think of Bones of the Lost? I've been debating whether to read more Kathy Reichs novels.

message 26: by Noel (new)

Noel Brady (noel-brady) The Crane Wife is high in priority on my TBR. I'm glad to hear it was so good!

message 27: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments Number 22
Back to my old friend Rebus
Saints of the Shadow Bible Ian Rankin

message 29: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments And another couple of new books takes me to 29
28 The Golden Acorn Catherine Cooper - picked up for my daughter - hopefully she'll enjoy it too and we can both read the next book in the series
29 Tremarnock Emma Burstall - lovely light read but not sure if I'll read the rest of the trilogy

message 30: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments And I've passed my 30 ... 40 seems achievable but not sure I'll make it to 50
30 Pretty Girl-13 Liz Coley
31 Younger Suzanne Munshower - not my usual read but interesting
32 If You Find Me Emily Murdoch
33 X Y Z Anna Katharine Green - purely to get an X but an enjoyable short read
34 Stardust Neil Gaiman - loved it, now to watch the film

message 31: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments Clare wrote: "And I've passed my 30 ... 40 seems achievable but not sure I'll make it to 50
30 Pretty Girl-13 Liz Coley
31 Younger [author:Suzanne Munshower|9633..."

I love the Stardust movie!

message 32: by Jackie B. - (new)

Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku (reiwing2040) | 1343 comments Clare wrote: "And I've passed my 30 ... 40 seems achievable but not sure I'll make it to 50"

Don't feel like you need to set a higher goal! I passed my goal this year, but I didn't extend it. I just set... stretch goals. Things I'd like to achieve, but I wouldn't be heart broken if I didn't make it.
That said, if goals motivate you, go for it! Whatever keeps you reading. :)

message 33: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments Jackie B. wrote: "Clare wrote: "And I've passed my 30 ... 40 seems achievable but not sure I'll make it to 50"

Don't feel like you need to set a higher goal! I passed my goal this year, but I didn't extend it. I ju..."

Thanks Jackie - first year I've kept track of my reading so had set low easily achievable goal knowing I could achieve now stretching a bit x

message 34: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 35 The Witches Roald Dahl
enjoyed the book and the film but preferred the book particularly the ending

message 35: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 36 I'm the King of the Castle Susan Hill -gothic psychological novel

37 The Bone Knife Intisar Khanani a magical, fascinating short story - can't wait to read more

message 36: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 38 Vanishing Point Jonny Heyhoe short story
New author okay story may try again

message 37: by Jackie B. - (new)

Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku (reiwing2040) | 1343 comments Clare wrote: "38 Vanishing Point Jonny Heyhoe short story
New author okay story may try again"

I totally understand. Sometimes, new authors to you are hit and miss. The worst for me is when someone is absolutely in love with an author and I just can't make a connection. I hope you find something you love to read next!

message 38: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 39 The Color Purple Alice Walker
Loved it .. so powerful x

message 39: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 40 Summertime J.M. Coetzee
An interesting read fictional biography - need to read the Boyhood and Youth

message 40: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 41 The Dead Will Tell Linda Castillo
42 A Hidden Secret Linda Castillo
I have a few must read series and the Kate Burkholder thrillers are one of them - book 7 is on my wish list!

message 41: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 43 Under Fire Rachel Amphlett
Loved this thriller - now need to read the first Dan Taylor book

message 43: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Just one more book to go, Clare! I'll give you an early congratulations because I know you'll make it. :)

message 44: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments Cassandra wrote: "Just one more book to go, Clare! I'll give you an early congratulations because I know you'll make it. :)"

Thanks Cassandra - final book finished and surprisingly I loved it:

45 The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald

message 45: by Cassandra (last edited Dec 09, 2015 12:57PM) (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Nicely done! I'm actually not a huge fan of The Great Gatsby, but I originally read it while I was on jury duty, so I might be attaching some unrelated frustrations to it. I should re-read it at some point.

message 46: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments Cassandra wrote: "Nicely done! I'm actually not a huge fan of The Great Gatsby, but I originally read it while I was on jury duty, so I might be attaching some unrelated frustrations to it. I should re-r..."

I think it helped that I didn't have any expectations of The Great Gatsby and it being so completely different from real life that I enjoyed it.

message 47: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 46 The Tiger in the Smoke Margery Allingham - final book for the 2015 I-spy challenge.

message 48: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments Holiday reading for books 47 and 48
Finishing the short stories in The Mistletoe Bride & Other Haunting Tales Kate Mosse
and a Christmas short A Zombie Christmas Anthony Renfro

message 49: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 49 Sunbolt Intisar Khanani Have enjoyed this new author after enjoying the short The Bone Knife earlier in the year

message 50: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 969 comments 50 The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters - working my way through the best children's books