Contemporary Christian Fiction discussion

Satan's Guide to the Bible: 1 Satan, Hitch and Snikwad Face Their Demons
This topic is about Satan's Guide to the Bible
Satan's Guide to the Bible

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kylie Smith (kyliesmith) | 4 comments Has anyone else read this stuff? It's supposed to be for 'recovering Christians' and I want to know what others feel about it.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Crane | 20 comments I read the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon. Based on the description of the book, I'd say this is some of the same tired old atheist nonsense founded on misperceptions and taking scripture out of context. The term "recovering Christian" is, in and of itself, absurd to me, as if my faith is an illness. I wouldn't waste my time or money on it.

Kylie Smith (kyliesmith) | 4 comments Lisa wrote: "I read the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon. Based on the description of the book, I'd say this is some of the same tired old atheist nonsense founded on misperceptions and taking scripture out of c..."

Thanx, I've already bought it, and what he calls the new "Reformation Hypothesis" and Yahweh being as mythological as other deities do seem to make sense. Was hoping others could help refute ...?

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Jan 26, 2015 04:43AM) (new)

Lisa Crane | 20 comments What is his basis for saying God is a myth? And what, exactly is his so-called "new" reformation hypothesis? I've seen no new arguments from atheists against the existence of God. They continue to spin out the same things as "proof", when in reality, their beloved science supports the existence of God, and the truth that He created the world. History and written eyewitness accounts support the truth that a man known as Jesus Christ lived, was crucified and was seen by HUNDREDS of people after his death (just as He had told them would happen).

I googled the term "reformation hypothesis" and got zilch. God has withstood atheists for centuries, and He'll continue to do so.

"and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God." (1 Corinthians 2:4,5)

Kylie Smith (kyliesmith) | 4 comments I should maybe point out that following recent life events I've started exploring several siritualities for the first time.

Lorde's work is something I came across and gets very good reviews from other young/ish women on GR.

Characters in 1st book don't say God is a myth - they say God means different things to different people and Bible deity Yahweh is as mythological as any other expression of God. Seems reasonable.

Claims Reformation Hypothesis is similar to Documentary Hypothesis and is "new and exclusive", and I couldn't find it anywhere other than with Lorde - so maybe it is. Whether or not it is valid I shall have to read more and see.

Thanx for you input, Lisa. Anyone else looked at this? Been getting some feedback in apologetics group.

message 6: by Suzy (new)

Suzy Parish (suzyparish) Hi Kylie! I'm glad you are looking and researching for yourself, because your faith will not be strong until you test it out. Having said that, I hope you continue to just plain read the Bible along with whatever you are currently exploring. I am confident in the end you will find that the claims of the Bible are true, and God does not mind people who ask questions. He can take it! I don't have the energy right now to do any type of theological rhetoric, but I can say this; I know the Lord Jesus Christ and He knows me. I started out the same as most people, asking, testing, wondering if His words would hold up. It has been 34 years since I came to the conclusion that He was trustworthy and He has never failed me, not in 34 years. I have raised three daughters, been married to a police officer and our family went through countless trials, I almost lost my husband during a shooting. All that to say, God has been a very present help in my times of need. He has not been a fairy-tale god, or a good person, or some mythological being that I hope is there. He has shown me through the Bible countless times that He loves me and is very interested in my life. I would not have made it if it weren't for Him, if he were just another deity. I am sending you a huge hug, I wish all the best for you! Truly! I pray you will meet Him as I have. Hugs!!!

Kylie Smith (kyliesmith) | 4 comments Suzy wrote: "Hi Kylie! I'm glad you are looking and researching for yourself, because your faith will not be strong until you test it out. Having said that, I hope you continue to just plain read the Bible alon..."

Thank you Suzy - guess I just have the sort of mind that needs to know the details of all the nuts and bolts of how things work

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Crane | 20 comments Suzy wrote: "Hi Kylie! I'm glad you are looking and researching for yourself, because your faith will not be strong until you test it out. Having said that, I hope you continue to just plain read the Bible alon..."

Amen, Suzy!

message 9: by Suzy (new)

Suzy Parish (suzyparish) Keep searching! God bless you!