SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Richelle Mead
This topic is about Richelle Mead
Retired Challenges > Feb - March Author of the Month (Richelle Mead)

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
For the months of Feb - March the Author is.....

Richelle Mead

Here you can say what you are reading and if you are enjoying it, etc :)

message 2: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Hosted by: I'll try

message 3: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Have an idea of which book you want to read?

message 4: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I'll read The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4) by Richelle Mead book 4.

I have read the Vampire Academy series and the first in the Dark Swan series. So if anyone reads any of these we can discuss :)

I recommend the Vampire Academy series btw. I really loved it!

message 5: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else pops in then.
With the exception of her last 3 Bloodlines and Age of X, I've read all her books.

I agree with you on The Vampire Academy series!
And it was soo much better than the Vampire Diaries...

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
That it was!

How was Age of X?

message 7: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
I actually haven't read Age of X yet - it get's okay ratings and reviews - apparently not mind blowing - so I'll hold out till the series is complete before I give it a go.

Also after The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3) by Richelle Mead I've sort of been avoiding Mead. The Bloodline books aren't bad, but Sydney really started irritating me, and then the plot for The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4) by Richelle Mead just seemed overly predictable and like they were just trying to push the series into as many books as possible. So I'm not even sure if I'll finish it - it seems to be taking a similar route to the Mortal instruments series.

I loved her Dark Swan series - even though there were a few things I would have changed, some I didn't like, and a certain character I would have loved to have done bodily harm to... :D

message 8: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Oh wait I read that completely wrong! Sorry about that. I plan on reading Age of X in the near future, I hope I enjoy it!

I haven't gotten tired of the Bloodlines story yet and I don't think I will. For some reason I enjoy it more than VA sometimes!

Dark Swan ended up being a bit too Urban Fantasy for me. For some reason I never really get into Urban Fantasies. :(

All this talk makes me think I'm going to read Fiery Heart the second I finish Assassin's Apprentice!

message 9: by Jax (last edited Feb 05, 2015 11:21AM) (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Glad you're enjoying it! That's the important part.

I always liked Adrian, even in VA. But I dunno... Sidney's indecisiveness -and on occasion- lack of confidence gets to me, (I know she's not fishing for compliments, that the author has written it in to bring to light these aspects to teens but after a while it makes me testy.) and her constant need to try look at the Alchemists through Rose tinted glasses! Even while inwardly realizing she's doing it. I get it, I do! I even kinda understand - but sometimes I still just want to slap her.
And I wish there was more time spent on the rest of the plot.

If you haven't read The Indigo Spell - don't open the spoiler!
(view spoiler)

Okay, I'm done ranting now. *grins sheepishly*

message 10: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Probably somewhat off topic -

Which Urban Fantasies have you tried?

message 11: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I am BIG Adrian Fan!
Lolol rant away!

My rant is about VA:
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
An Urban Fantasies that comes to mind that I didn't enjoy is:
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews

message 13: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "My rant is about VA:
[spoilers removed]"

You do have a point.
I felt quite bad for him in V.A, but also wanted to him to have something good happen, which I guess Bloodlines does - But then, I also think he deserves better than what he's getting!! He definitely seems to have a type!

message 14: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Did you read just the first Kate Daniels book? Or more of them?

I enjoyed them.
Mostly because Andrews didn't write the typical dark but sexy vamps, or the stereotypical werewolves. And I found her post Magic world interesting - A sort of dystopia.

However, I guess I would as I really enjoy Urban Fantasy. :)
I wonder what it is that puts you off?
V.A, Bloodlines, Parasol Protectorate are all urban fantasy cross-overs?
Not trying to convert you!!
Just genuinely intrigued as to what it might be that does and doesn't work for you in the Urban Fantasy genre.

message 15: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Just the first one, and I slogged through it.
I don't know how to explain it really. Let me think about it :)

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I've been lurking and am curious about the urban fantasy thing. How do you define urban fantasy, Lu and Jax?

My definition has always been fantasy set in a city (real or fictional), where the city is an important aspect of the story/setting. As opposed to, say, a fantasy that's technically set in a city but that mostly plays out in a school or someone's home.

That can cover a wide range of plots and characters, but I've also seems to be a definition that's more specific, focusing on certain types of plots/characters.

message 17: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Mine is also a fantasy set in a city. And I feel like there is normally a woman who wields a sword or something.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith There does seem to be a specific sub-genre of urban fantasy that typically features an ass-kicking 'strong female character'. And I think she's usually on the cover wearing a tight little top that shows off her muscular midriff or is turned away from the camera so you can see her sexy ass? But there's lots of other urban fantasy as well. The BoM Sister-Sister is a *totally* different kind of urban fantasy. And I've read a couple set in weird fictional cities that were really fun and creative.

message 19: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
For me Urban Fantasy is pretty much anything set in an actual place (though not always), relatively in our current time with current technology, but with various paranormal/preternatural aspects, be it Vamps, Weres, Fey, Witches, Mages, Magic, Time Travel etc.

And yes - Sadly a LOT of their covers are generally depressingly similar! Not to mention that they quite often very misleading!

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Ah ok. I think of that more generally as paranormal fantasy, with the ones set in cities as urban fantasy.

Lol, I get so annoyed when the covers of a genre are all the same! YA sff, epic fantasy and crime thrillers often have this. Although I have to admit it's a useful shorthand when you're looking out for a particular type of fiction.

message 21: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I looked up what Urban Fantasy means when googled:

"Urban fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy defined by place; the fantastic narrative has an urban setting. Urban fantasy exists on one side of a spectrum, opposite high fantasy, which is set in an entirely fictitious world. Many urban fantasies are set in contemporary times and contain supernatural elements. However, the stories can take place in historical, modern, or futuristic periods, and the settings may include fictional elements. The prerequisite is that they must be primarily set in a city."

Looks like we got it pretty right :)

message 22: by Zuleka (last edited Mar 02, 2015 08:54AM) (new)

Zuleka Kok | 231 comments I recently started listening to Vampire Academy on audible. This is my first read for Richelle Mead so excited to see what all the hype is about this series.

message 23: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Oh wow, shout if you want to chat about the series! What a roller-coaster ride! One of my favs :)

message 24: by Zuleka (new)

Zuleka Kok | 231 comments I will thanks Lu :)

message 25: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I finished Fiery Heart btw, and really loved it. I feel like things are finally getting somewhere and there were some hot scenes!