SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
This topic is about The Surgeon
All Book Discussions > The Surgeon (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
The discussion thread for our Feb - March BoM. Please avoid spoilers, or use the spoiler tag to hide them: < spoiler> spoiler>

message 2: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Hosted by: Lu

message 3: by Jax (last edited Feb 05, 2015 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Anyone else reading it yet?

So far I'm enjoying it. It wasn't quite what I was expecting though - it's definitely a lot more graphic and visceral than I was anticipating (not a bad thing!).

I will admit that I was a teensie bit put off by Jane's initial attitude. I LOVE the TV series, so I was a little disappointed with her stand-offish behavior at first. Though it seems to lessen as the story continues, so that's a very minor issue - that or I got used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore. :D

One little thing that has absolutely nothing to do with the story that bothered me, was Gerristsen's need to drive home that Rizzoli is not "attractive", that she's just a very plain jane (pun intended).
Why?
Not everyone IS attractive, AND what is and isn't attractive is different for each individual.
I'm not saying that she should have written her as being beautiful or gorgeous - because if everyone was gorgeous - then we'd all just be average and no one would stand out.
But she already gave us her character's features (in detail), why not let us "decide" how we want her to look?

Anyway - So far it's a gripping plot! And the unsub has some serious issues!
There is one detective who I would like to see lose his smug smirk with nice quick jab to the schnozz! (He totally deserves it!)

message 4: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Will start this soon! Very excited!

message 5: by Jax (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Finished this in the wee hours this morning.
I kept telling myself just till the end of the chapter...

Would have liked a little more from Rizzoli's POV.
But what a heart pounding read!

message 6: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Ooooh that is good to know!

message 7: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Finished it and I thought it was great! I have a few questions, will pop in at the spoiler section :)

However for those who haven't read it:
1. Are you planning on reading it?
2. Have you seen the TV series, and what are your thoughts?

message 8: by Jax (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jax | 899 comments Mod
I'll answer Q2 here.:)

In this (rare)instance, I think I like the TV series better. Mostly because I prefer the onscreen characters more than the book's.

Though, as I've only read the first book, I'm willing to give it a few more tries before I make a final decision.

message 9: by Lu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I agree, the on screen characters are awesome!

I found the action and mystery so intriguing that I am going to read the next ones asap!