Psychological Thrillers discussion

BOTM Past to Present > membership

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by stephanie, MOD (new)

stephanie | 1341 comments Mod
I have been getting messages from members about having this group a private group, because there seems to be a rash of new members just coming on at any given time. I personally have seen this happen in a few other groups to where a number of folks join for one reason only. Because this is a huge group, I decided to bring this to the members who have been here for quite sometime, and I mean 3 months or more. So if you have been here OVER 3 months, please feel free to express your opinion on whether you would like this group to be public or private. Because I am the MOD, I told members who have sent me messages that I would bring this to the table. Thank You...MOD-Stephanie

message 2: by E. (new)

E. Maybe I'm out of the loop, but why is it bad that people join the group?

message 3: by stephanie, MOD (new)

E. hopefully someone will answer your question, for this group has always been a public form since I have been here.

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael I think all of the groups I belong to are public groups. Not sure I know why a group here on Goodreads would go private, are there advantages?

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Richards (lisadawnrichards) | 9 comments No matter if it's public or private because either way I enjoy this Group.

message 6: by stephanie, MOD (last edited Jan 25, 2015 07:13AM) (new)

Sharon, I have asked a few private groups on what the INCENTIVES are when they are private, and the reason why they are private is because some folks have joined groups just to start friction, and some support a book coming out, and one of the group MOD told me that she was going thru the membership's background, you know reading and all, and majority of them were crochet and knitting folks, and had nothing to do with their group, so she started adding 2 and 2 together, and stuff started. One of the members was a great writer, and she was here in our group as well, with her 2 books, and she was caught in the middle, and she was banned for life. WOW. And i really loved 2 of her books, the 3rd book, I didn't care too much for...But this is a question that I put up because a few members has asked me, and I never thought about it, but maybe I need to think outside the box every now and then huh?

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael I guess I've never thought about it from that standpoint. I know on some of the other lists/groups I'm on (other than books) some particular topics have been banned because they always seem to generate friction, so I suppose it would be possible for the same thing to happen here.

message 8: by stephanie, MOD (new)

You know Sharon, I never thought about placing this group as a private one, but I guess folks that emailed me have suggested it, so as usual, I bring it to the members. Thats what I do (smile)

message 9: by David (last edited Jan 25, 2015 09:19AM) (new)

David Jarrett (davidrj) I am not one of those who recommended making this group private -- in fact I don't know anything about private groups. However, I did notice a very strange pattern of voting for the February BOTM. In a twenty-four hour time period, one book received seven consecutive votes, ALL from new members whose names I did not recognize and whose profiles say joined the group in January. Was this coincidence, or was this a campaign to promote a book for the February BOTM? I don't know the answer to this, but I believe other members saw the same thing I did, and this is probably their motivation for asking about making the group private.

DRJ

message 10: by Delores (new)

Delores | 3 comments I agree with David...you're on point!

message 11: by Dana (new)

Dana ****Reads Alot**** if there is a teoubk maker just ban them. this group has been going good pointless to make it private. some are also closed to sharing piracy of books.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 25, 2015 10:14AM) (new)

I am a new member but I think I can help you...I joined goodreads because a book I am a fan of talked about their author being on goodreads (on the fan page)and how you can ask the author questions on here. And when I saw that I wondered what Goodreads was. So I came on and joined and I love it. Then I saw that the book I like was up for a vote and I voted for it. Maybe other people are doing the same and it is all very innocent? I think there is a new author with a small fan base but from what I can see it has caught on to other people and is that really a bad thing? I mean no dis-respect, just asking because now I feel like I did something wrong by joining and I never would have known about this great site without that fan page. I don't think it was intended to stack votes or bother anyone, I think they were trying to get readers in touch with their author.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Richards (lisadawnrichards) | 9 comments David wrote: "I am not one of those who recommended making this group private -- in fact I don't know anything about private groups. However, I did notice a very strange pattern of voting for the February BOTM...."

I just joined in Jan. but My vote is legit.

message 14: by E. (new)

E. Maybe rather than changing the whole group status, changing the prerequisite for the voting. If you've been a member for a month you can vote.
Some people may have received gadgets for Christmas and in the past few weeks downloaded apps and discovered goodreads - hence a lot of January joiners. But I'm not one to investigate each name so I wouldn't see a pattern of something underhanded going on.
Curious, what makes a group private, and how would people join if it was?

message 15: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Well (E), if it goes private, that means more work for me...you see if it goes private, then folks wanting to join would have to send me a request, which really I don't want to take it to that level. That would mean, more coffee and reading on my end on a daily basis to either accept or reject the person wanting to coming in. I really don't work like that. But I go by majority of what YOU all say. I believe that we can ALL work on this issue TOGETHER.

message 16: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Oh, and by the way, that 30 day membership isn't a bad idea (smile)

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 25, 2015 10:33AM) (new)

If it is 0k to chime in, maybe that suggestion for future months is a good one-only people who have been members for one month can vote. I know it is too late to do that now but I guess if you think people are only joining to vote for a book and then leave the group then that couldn't happen. I can say I am really looking forward to seeing how the whole discussion thing works.

message 18: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Right Now I am thinking.

message 19: by stephanie, MOD (new)

REALLY??,,Gee, they pass my name up for some reason...HUMMM

message 20: by stephanie, MOD (last edited Jan 25, 2015 11:16AM) (new)

This thread wasn't put up to any names, just info on the growing of this group and voting rights..thats all. If anyone wants to chime in on what we can do as far as voting and/or private or public, please post your comments, I would really apprecicate it if no one calls out anyone by any other means...Thank You

message 21: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel I like "us" just the way we are / have been, although I think that perhaps, if our MOD agrees, E's suggestion of being a member for at least a month to be able to vote for the next BOTM makes a lot of sense and "fixes" the current problem. Let's not reinvent the wheel and make more work for the MOD; we've had a little bump, discussed how to make it better, and move on to....
a new BOTM and a good discussion. Can't wait!

message 22: by David (new)

David Jarrett (davidrj) Betsy wrote: "I like "us" just the way we are / have been, although I think that perhaps, if our MOD agrees, E's suggestion of being a member for at least a month to be able to vote for the next BOTM mak..."

Good idea, Betsy! I would vote for that.

DRJ

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather  McQuillen i joined either in Dec or Jan and the first book i saw nominated sounded interesting, so i voted for it. i have also read and finished all good deeds and almost done with see them run, which i had never heard of either book until i joined

message 24: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael That sounds like it might be a solution.

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1 comments I don't think it should be private. I may not not get on as much as others, but I do read the books suggested. I have never read a highly recommended book and not enjoy it.

message 26: by Terri Wino (new)

Terri Wino (terriwino) I joined this group a few months ago and am only in a few other groups. I never join in any group reads in any of the groups, simply because I never know what I'll be in the mood to read next. However, I also don't vote on the group reads and can't understand why anyone would who has no intention to join in on it.
I, personally, joined a few groups to hear about recommendations about books and, possibly, make some new "book friends."
Just because I don't take part in group reads doesn't mean I don't get any benefit from being part of the group. I've met some really nice fellow readers on Goodreads. The people who haven't been so nice, I simply ignore.
Thanks to all the moderators of all the groups I'm a member of. Your hard work is not unappreciated by people who enjoy reading! :)

message 27: by stephanie, MOD (new)

I personally don't like to be over-worked when I don't get paid (smile) But I listen to ALL suggestions.

message 28: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Thank you Chris for voting. This thread is just to kick around ideas on how we can get this group working better for the new people who have joined. We are not talking about a specific person, so if you can please EDIT your post, I would appreciate it. Thanks...MOD-Stephanie

message 29: by Terri Wino (new)

Terri Wino (terriwino) Hi Ruth! Thanks!

message 30: by stephanie, MOD (last edited Jan 25, 2015 08:34PM) (new)

Hey there Terri, I hope you have voted for February BOTM, if not, please go on over to the thread which says February 2015 BOTM, and put down what you may think is a good read for February..Thanks...MOD-Stephanie

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris | 4 comments How do I edit my post

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris | 4 comments Sory, can't figure it out from my phone.

message 33: by stephanie, MOD (last edited Jan 25, 2015 08:38PM) (new)

Please go to your post that you wrote, and on the bottom in the right hand, you will see the "edit"...Delete...Reply...thats where you hit edit and it will bring up your post in the box..Thanks.MOD-Stephanie

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris | 4 comments No edit button on my phone. I don't have access to a desk top until tomorrow morning at work.

message 35: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 3 comments Can't really see the value of making it a 'private' group. there seems to plenty of opportunities for groups of like minded members to get together if they like. Why don't they just create a separate thread for themselves if they wish, and ignore newcomers they don't know until some pre-agreed test has been passed?

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments Yes, the Android ap could use some serious updating. I just got a new tablet and enjoy the special aps. The other cool features only work through a browser ap, like Google Chrome, which runs on tablets and computers.

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments Here I'm talking about the Goodreads Android ap that needs improvement.

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments The 30 day membership idea is good, if it doesn't overload our Mad Moderator keeping track of a million things. If it's too much work it tends to not be fun anymore for ALL of us.

message 39: by E. (new)

E. Re: editing on your phone.
At the bottom of the thread there is "copy topic URL". Touch that and then open your phone's browser app (like safari or whatever) and paste into the address box. It will take you to the topic on a web page where you have all the edit tools.

message 40: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Jim, why do you want to call me a MAD MOD, for I am a happy camper dude, Can't no one bring me down...I rolled with the hardest, I thought you knew that?

message 41: by E. (new)

E. Yeah Ruth, I just kind of stumbled over it after a couple of frustrating months using app. Some day they will update them with tools. The app is still the fastest for everything else. Updates, notifications, perusing books...

message 42: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Yeah I did too Ruth, I was just trying to do a WEDGIE on Jim-Bob

message 43: by Chris (new)

Chris | 4 comments Sorry, I don't have a "copy topic url" at the bottom. I have a droid if it makes a difference. This app really could use improvements. Sorry Stephanie I didn't get to edit my post at work.

message 44: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Thats okay Chris, I won't hold that against you (smile)

message 45: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 1 comments some of us are more silent members who have been here a long time, like me. But we are still reading your emails! So if you make it private, it will be hard to tell who's been "silently participating" waiting for the stars to align when free time and motivation allow us to join in the conversation. :)

message 46: by E. (new)

E. I don't know if a group keeps track of when a person joins that group, that's an excellent point. Someone that lurks under the radar for a while, how do you know if they've been a member for 30 days?

message 47: by stephanie, MOD (new)

E. wrote: "I don't know if a group keeps track of when a person joins that group, that's an excellent point. Someone that lurks under the radar for a while, how do you know if they've been a member for 30 days?"

E, We as MOD's have the capability to see when folks started
the group.

message 48: by E. (new)

E. Well then, there ya go

message 49: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments Yeah, it was a compliment of sorts. But after that wedgie crack...well, I dunno.

message 50: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Jim, I'm good, are you ready for Sunday???

« previous 1