Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 193 (193 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31140 comments Mod

Queen Skye steps up on the stage and clears her throat.

"Welcome to the Great Novel Story Theatre! Please settle in and enjoy the shows."

The Theatre is a place for you to enjoy some role playing with other heroes of the realm.

message 2: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments *enters stage from the left. puts her hand dramatically on her head*

O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?

*runs from the stage, through backstage and enters stage from right, little panting*

Call me but love, and I’ll be new baptized.
Henceforth I never will be Romeo.

*takes a bow*

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments *props her sword against a nearby seat and claps loudly*

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments *Settles in next to Amanda with her bushel of tomatoes ready*

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 2 comments Tomatoes are completely unnecessary, Tea is just trying to be entertaining.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments They're just for snacking.

message 7: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments *sits behind Kelly and steals tomato*

Who's next?

message 8: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Jan 25, 2015 11:37AM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Alex wrote: "Tomatoes are completely unnecessary, Tea is just trying to be entertaining."

My hero!

Wait!!! What do you mean trying?!

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 2 comments .....Kelly told me to say it!

message 10: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Alex is always the hero. ;)

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments *Lady Kelly steps up to the stage and coughs*

Testing Testing, 1, 2, 4... err 3.

Whatz up Novel Kingdom!

I have a few jokes for you today. What do you call it when knights trade places at the round table?

Anyone?

The KNIGHT Shift!

*laughs to herself*

Ok, ok *wipes a tear away*

Why did the King go to the dentist?

To get his teeth crowned!

*Looks over at Queen Skye glaring at her* Okaaayyy too soon. I get it.

Ok, well let's just end with this. What did Queen Skye say to her knights at bedtime?

Knighty knight everyone!

message 12: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments *trows Kelly's tomato at Kelly*

Ooops! It just fell out of my hand

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments *Enforces her anti-tomato shield!*

message 14: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Kelly wrote: "*Enforces her anti-tomato shield!*"

Um, where did you get that?!

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Perks of being a quest master :P

message 16: by Alex (new)

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 2 comments That is genius to bring the shield in case Kelly's tomatoes were to get thrown at her.......or she knew going in her act was horrible.

message 17: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4770 comments Kelly wrote: "They're just for snacking."

Ew.

message 18: by Alex (new)

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 2 comments *Lord Alex still sits in his seat, feel propped on the row in front of him, even though the show has been over for four days. The foam from his untold number of beers filling his brain*

POPCORN!!! SOMEBODY GIVE ME POPCORN, THE SHOW IS ABOUT TO START..........ABOUT TO START!!!!!

*an usher comes by tidying up, shakes his head and leaves back from wince he came.*

message 19: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments *gives Alex some of her popcorns*

So what are we watching?

message 20: by Alex (new)

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 2 comments *Chugs his beer*

Well dragon, it is a crazy tale of Romeo and Juliet. Romeo commits suicide to get away from his nagging wife Juliet. Women can't live with them, can't live with them.

*passes out on the cold concrete floor*

message 21: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Apparently the show was Alex acting like a dodo bird.

There is always at least one in the crowd that can't hold their liquor.

*loads Alex into the wheelbarrow for his lass to take him home*

message 22: by Zuzana (last edited Feb 07, 2015 12:32AM) (new)

Zuzana | 2241 comments *stomps in, sits down in the last row and looks around sulkily*

I hate "Romeo and Juliet", the stupidest of Shakespeare's plays. The only tolerable version is the opera by Gounod. At least that has beautiful music and singing.

*continues to sulk*

I thought that tonight was a musical night. I was looking forward to Harry Potter showing off his Broadway skills and now this. Bloody stupid teenagers can't keep it in their pants.

;-) ;-p

How to Succeed in Business Daniel Radcliffe's Tony Performance

message 23: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Feb 07, 2015 08:18PM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Theatre Role Play for quest 16. The Academy, task 7.

Lady Rachel walks to center stage. She looks out into the audience and notices some familiar faces. She smiles, gives a little wink, and cues the orchestra to play eerie and suspenseful music. Lady Rachel announces…

“Today, I will perform for you. This can be a dangerous and deadly deed.”

She has her assistant wheel in boxes and containers with strange markings on them.

“My first act is to show you how quick my hands are.”

She reaches into one of the boxes with strange markings. She pulls out three red balls. She tosses one of the props into the air, then the other two at the same time. She starts to juggle them. She rotates the balls and speeding up the juggling of the balls.

The orchestra changes their music to upbeat music. Speeding up when she juggles the balls faster and slowing down when she juggles the balls slower. She announces to the audience this is called the “3 ball cascade”. She shows the variants of outside rotation and inside rotation.

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

Next, her assistance tosses in more balls, one at a time, to show her skill of juggling more props.

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

The song ends and Lady Rachel catches the props and places them into the Box. She has two balls left and does the one handed trick, juggling then with the same hand while she announces, she will need the audience to select three items for her to juggle for her finale. Her assistant tosses her another ball and Lady Rachel begins to juggle in Cascade Columns with a few twists of dropping one of the balls to her foot to kick back up for a special added effect.

The audience cheers.

As some of the audience members select items Lady Rachel cues the orchestra to play suspenseful music while she drop kicks the props into a basket. She reaches over and selects three knives and begins to juggle them. To show the audience they are real knifes she tosses one into a wooden post. While still juggling two of the knives, she walks over and pulls the knife out of the wooden post and juggles with all three knives. As the audience members who are selecting the three items for her to juggle her assistant tosses in a sword to juggle as well as the knives. She tosses one of the knives to her assistant while the assistant tosses another sword to Lady Rachel. This happens one more time until Lady Rachel is juggling three swords.

She spins and juggles and catches one of the swords in her mouth as well as the other two in her hands. The audience cheers again. She places them in in their box while her assistant lights three torches. The orchestra is still playing while Lady Rachel signals for her assistant to toss the torches towards her. She begins to juggle them.

The audience watches and cheers. She juggles them while spin and tossing them higher in the air and lower. When the music stops she catches the lit torches and blows them out. The audience cheers.

Lady Rachel announces, “This is my final act for the day. I will now juggle the three items you the audience have selected.” Lady Rachel has her assistance bring over the three items. Item one is rotary phone; Lady Rachel holds it and asks what it is. Her assistant says claims not to know. Lady Rachel inspects the knobs and long coil that connects the pieces of it. She wraps the coil around both parts. The assistant gives her the second item, a knight’s helmet. Lady Rachel closes the eye guard and hopes it doesn’t open during the juggling act. The assistant hands her the third time, a toilet seat. Lady Rachel has never seen such an item and has no idea why it’s an oval with a large hole in the middle.

The orchestra plays the music. Lady Rachel begins to juggle the three times. She is doing well and the audience is cheering. Everything is going as planned until the coil begins to unwind in the air and the rotary phone comes unraveled and gets caught up with the helmet and toilet set. The items fall to the ground making loud clanging and crashing sounds. The music stops. The audience laughs and boos. Tomatoes are tossed at Lady Rachel; she catches the first three and juggles them while running off the stage while the other tomatoes hit her.

End of scene.

message 24: by Alex (new)

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 2 comments *Leaves early to buy Lady Rachel a beer at The Tavern*

message 25: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana | 2241 comments Oh, Rachel. It was a great act. And I would have never thrown tomatoes at you. Come back to the Tavern and if you don't feel like a beer (Alex is offering to buy you one to cheer you up) I'll buy you a piece of apple pie. Deal?

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments *Claps* *Eats her tomato*

message 27: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Feb 08, 2015 04:47AM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Swords?! I can't watch that! She'll get hurt.
*covers her face in fear*

*peeks through her fingers*
Is she done? Can I look now?
Wait! What is that red thing? OMG there is blood on the stage! Is there doctor in the house?!

*swoons*

message 28: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 447 comments I have a question. Is there a page limit that a books has to be for the quests> I;m reading a novella now which is like 90 pgs. Would that be ok to use?

message 29: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana | 2241 comments Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire wrote: "I have a question. Is there a page limit that a books has to be for the quests> I;m reading a novella now which is like 90 pgs. Would that be ok to use?"

The limit is 100 pages. Sorry.

message 30: by Reva (new)

Reva (revans) | 2481 comments OMG Rachel Who could possibly top that performance?!!

message 31: by Alex (new)

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 2 comments Indeed the bar has been set high.

message 32: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4770 comments Rachel for house artist!

message 33: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Ser Amanda swaggers into the Theatre and takes a seat, propping her sword and magic staff against the empty seat beside her. She looks around and clears her throat loudly then stretches, flexing her arms so that the small bit of muscle in her biceps bulges.

I defeated a goblin and sewer rat in the same day!

Ser Amanda glares at the other patrons who only roll their eyes and shush her, then props her dirty boots on the seat in front of her.
She shakes out her cloak, making sure the various tears and bloodstains can be seen by the other adventurers, then begins polishing her newest goblin bone.

message 34: by Alex (new)

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 2 comments *Sitting in his seat enjoying a fine show when mud, blood and goblin bits rain down on him*

Some people in this theater have tact!

*Walks out shaking off the mess Ser Amanda made on his once new cloak*

message 35: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Amanda wrote: "I defeated a goblin and sewer rat in the same day! "

You mean they don't always attack together?!

*looking at Ser Amanda's cloak and thinking about opening laundry behind Tavern*

message 36: by Reva (last edited Feb 09, 2015 12:58PM) (new)

Reva (revans) | 2481 comments Sir Reva chuckled In the dark corner of the theatre as she quietly added more goblin bones, bats wings and rat tails to her bag. It's so refreshing to see the young Heros coming into their own.

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments *Ponders the fact that the mortals are getting feisty*

message 38: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 6945 comments Mod
Quaking at the frowning eye of the all-seeing god Kelly, Catherine nervously edges forward with an tray containing various drinks, including a multi-coloured one with an umbrella, curly straw and fruit in it.
"PLease, enjoy this pathetic offering, don't wreak havoc on us!"

message 39: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments mmmm havoc.... :)

message 40: by Tia (new)

Tia (fatgirlfatbooks) Pulls an old, dusty book out of the Tote of Infinite Books.

According to all the old tomes, the Greek gods loved having burnt viscera as an offering. We could kill two birds with one stone if we burn Ser Amanda's mess to appease the ModGod Kelly. I'll be back with... erm... a shovel and some matches.

Shudders, replaces book, and slips out the door.

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Ser Amanda peeks out of the theatre at the new notices on the board and groans.

So many new and interesting quests! How will I ever finish them all?

With a determined nod and a well-practiced swing of her sword, Ser Amanda leaves the theatre in search of adventure...come what may.

message 42: by Reva (last edited Feb 21, 2015 10:08AM) (new)

Reva (revans) | 2481 comments Sir Reva garbed in a flowing green cape strolled into the semi darkened theatre.  Stopping to let her eyes adjust she saw that the front of the stage was lit with glowing lanterns.  Stage right a group of musicians were setting up. 

Stephan of Lod was pulling out his  finger cymbals.   Already on the ground rested a pair of crash cymbals rumored to come from Assam India brought back long ago by a crusader who chose to wander far past the holy land. 

Alfrud was sitting beside Stephan.   The brown haired giant of a man, was gently strumming a 5 course Lute with a white quill.  Swaying as he softly sung..

."GOE, and catche a falling starre,  
  Get with child a mandrake roote,  
Tell me, where all past yeares are,  
  Or who cleft the Divels foot,  
Teach me to heare Mermaides singing,          
  Or to keep off envies stinging,  
          And finde  
          What winde  
Serves to advance an honest minde....

A smaller copy of the singer, Allard, accompanied his father on the worn psaltery.  Strumming on the harp-like instrument, the sweet notes harmonized with those of the lute.

Sir Reva sauntered onto the stage. Goode e'en gentle folke.  Thank ye for agreeing to be my back up bande. Striding to centre stage she greeted the few people scattered amongst the low benches.

"I've travelled far and wide and over the course of my journeys I've recorded many tales--some of extreme mirth.  I hope you enjoy them". Bowing she flourished her feather hat and began. 

"There's a moral to every story...
A King sent out an edict that all his noblemen should swear allegiance to his name and pay him a tribute in gold pieces every year on pain of death. Many Dukes and Barons agreed and handed over the gold pieces directly, for he was known to be a ruthless and terrible ruler.
But there was one Count, although he was happy to swear his allegiance, steadfastly refused to pay the tribute. The King was troubled as to what to do, for he was very fond of this particular Count, so he threw him into jail, telling him he had a week to change his mind before he would be executed. At the end of a week, the King asked the Count if he would pay the money now rather than lose his life, but the Count said he would rather die. "Very well", said the King, you shall be beheaded at dawn tomorrow.
Dawn came and the Count was taken to the castle roof where a chopping block was in place and a tall executioner in a black robe was standing waiting with a large axe. Once again the King spoke to the Count: "This is your last chance - will you pay me?"
"Never!" he replied.
At this the King gave the signal to the executioner. The Count lay down with his neck on the block. The executioner began his swing, and the Count let out a mighty cry: "Stop! I'll pay!" But it was too late - the axe fell and his head fell to the ground.
The moral of the story is clear: YOU SHOULD NEVER HATCHET YOUR COUNTS BEFORE THEY'VE CHICKENED!"

Stephan banged a stick on the small hand drum. Baddump bump!
Sir Reva took a small bow.

Barric guffawed and swung the wine skin up for a hearty swig. Burping, he handed the skin to fat Cederic who was lolling on the 'extra pay' pillows. Cederic shouted "you better not give up thy day job hunting bats and goblins."

Alex and Tea passed a horn of ale between them.  Alex lifting a cheek and farting. "Darn rat stew" he muttered softly. 

"I've more Sir Reva called out and began again 

Baddump bump,  ting ! Turning to the band she hissed "I haven't started yet". Sheepishly the band members hung their heads. Turning back to the audience She recommenced.

Q: What do you call it when all the knights trade places at the round table?
A: The knight shift!

Baddump bump,  ting

Q: What did the dragon say when he saw the knight in shining armour?
A: "I hate tinned food."

Baddump bump,  ting ting plink chimed the band. 

Taking another bow, Sir Reva raised her arm in thanks for the scattered applause from the audience.  And proceeded. 

"A medieval astrologer prophesied to a king that his favorite mistress would soon die. Sure enough, the woman died a short time later. The king was outraged at the astrologer, certain that his prophecy had brought about the woman's death.
He summoned the astrologer and commanded him: "Prophecy, tell me when you will die!"
The astrologer realized that the king was planning to kill him immediately, no matter what answer he gave. "I do not know when I will die," he answered finally. "I only know that whenever I die, the king will die three days later."

Morgan, Rachel and Rebecca tittered in the back seats while Kelly tossed a tomato up and down contemplating what to do. More glistening red orbs parked beside her in a bushel. *To throw or make pasta sauce hmmmmm*

"Thank you, thank you", bowed Sir Reva. I've two more witty tales to share.   

A knight returned to the king's castle with prisoners, bags of gold and other riches from his victories.
"Tell me of your battles," said the king.
"Well, sire, I have been robbing and stealing on your behalf for weeks, burning the all of the villages of your enemies in the north."
The king was horrified. "But I have no enemies in the north," he said.
"Well," said the knight, "you do now."

Kari, Cait and Zee smiled but the audience was pretty quiet. Sweat beaded Sir Reva's brow and her stomach twisted and made strange rumbling sounds. *Breaking into this business is tough going* she thought and plowed on .

"Sir Edgbert, a knight of Leone, was hurrying home on a cold, dark, wet night when, suddenly, his purebred Spanish Andalusian suffered a major coronary and died on the spot. All Sir Edgbert could do was collect up what belongings he could and tramp onward.
He strides up to the door, bangs on it and shouts: 'A horse! A horse! I must have a horse!"

*Too bad he didn't finish the horse quest * Reva thought and continued.  

The door opens to reveal a young girl. She looks at Sir Edgbert and says, "Your pardon, good knight but my father and brothers are returning from the village on the other side of the forest and will not be back before noon tomorrow. They are riding all our horses."
Sir Edgbert is saddened by this and says, "But I must return home immediately. Have you any idea where I may accuire alternative transportation?"
The young girl says "I know of no other horses hereabouts, but sometimes my brothers ride our Great Dane dog when the need arises. Would use of that help?"
Sir Edgbert is desperate and says, "If I must, I must. Show me the animal." The young girl leads the way around to the back of the farmhouse to a stable. She dissapears inside and returns leading and enormous dogs which is quite of a size for riding. Unfortunately, the dog has seen better days. It's coat is threadbare, it's legs are spindly and it seems to be breathing labouriously.

Sir Edgbert looks at the young girl and says, "Surely, you wouldn't send a knight out on a dog like this?"

Sir Reva bowed and the band begin to play.  Duh dah duh dah duh dah, Duh dah duh dah duh dah, Duh dah duh dah, daaaaah aah da

Before the audience reacted,   Teresa stumbled in. "The Red Dragon is attacking the other side of the village!  Alaaarrrmmm. We need everyone to defend or the village will burn!!

In a thrice, the theatre was empty. *There goes my showbiz career* groaned Sir Reva as she grabbed her large magic staff and dashed through the door. *Dragon steaks would go good now*

message 43: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresab78) | 1276 comments Bravo! Sorry I was late to the show... But you know, dragons!!! ;)

message 44: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana | 2241 comments Bravo, Sir Reva! *Lady Zuzana stand up and applauds and cheers Reva loudly*

message 45: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments Sir Angel walks up to the stage holding a sheet of paper. Her bow and quiver full of arrows are strapped to her back. Everyone can feel that she's very nervous. Her hands are trembling, she doesn't dare to look at the public.

After a minute of hesitation she looks up. She gulps and looks back to the sheet of paper. Her hands are trembling even harder, making it hard to read what's written on the paper. She takes a deep breath and starts:

"..."

In the public, everyone looks at their neighbor. You could hear murmurings of "What is she doing?" and "Can you hear anything?". A man in the back shouts: "Louder !!!"

Sir Angel stops and looks up again feeling embarassed. She clears her voice and tries again:

"Once upon a time..."

But her voice is still not loud enough for everyone to hear.

The man at the back looses his patience and throws a tomato in Sir Angel's direction.

Sir Angel feels something arriving and without hesitation unstraps the bow and takes an arrow. Faster than lightning she shoots right into the tomato before it could reach her. The arrow flies high in the sky and disappears behind the rows of seets.

The man looks startled. You could hear no sound in the theatre. Suddenly everyone starts to clap, the man included. Sir Angel blushes and bows deeply. So deep that all the arrows fall from her quiver. The spectators laugh and Sir Angel blushes some more. She's now redder than the tomato the man threw her. She picks up the arrows and leaves the stage.

message 46: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana | 2241 comments A great display of skill, Sir Angel! You're a master archer, indeed! :)

message 47: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 784 comments Reva and Angel, these are great!

*I knew I should have written something before there was anything to be compared with*

message 48: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Mmmm pasta sauce..... need a pasta sauce quest so everyone can make me food....

message 49: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments and maybe an archery competition...

message 50: by Margaret (last edited Feb 21, 2015 05:05PM) (new)

Margaret | 456 comments Sir Margaret stumbles into the Theatre after spending the night of levelling up her magic staff and hears the rumors of amazing acts of comedy and archery....

Reva and Angel - your scenes are fabulous!! Angel, I will call on your help when I launch my next attack on a monster :)

« previous 1 3 4