1x1's ˆ.ˆ discussion

1x1's > E & Harhailija

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Hoorah! All right, you said you'd prefer to be character A, yes?

message 2: by Evan (last edited Jan 24, 2015 05:03PM) (new)

Evan (evanny) Yes, I'd prefer A, if that's fine with you :)

Do you have any preference about gender for your character?

message 3: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Nopeadoodle. ^^

message 4: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) Alright. Well, a lot of my characters recently have been girls, so just to change it up my character'll be a guy this time, if that's alright.

Do you have any particular questions about the plot or anything before we make our characters?

message 5: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Yup, sounds good to me. And not that I can think of.

message 6: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) Okay.

One last thing: how long should the character formats be? Just the basics, like name, appearance, and a little bit about the personality and history, or should they be detailed?

message 7: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) I'd prefer to do shorter, if that's okay. I like trying to develop my character's personality further as the plot progresses.

message 8: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) Alright, that's fine with me.

I'll go ahead and get started on my character :)

message 9: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Sounds good. ^^

message 10: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Oh! How old should they be?

message 11: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) I was thinking around 18-22ish? College age, basically

message 12: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Sounds good. :)

message 13: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Name: Natalie Lindberg
Occupation: Sophomore at university, part-time cashier for a shoe store
Interests: Animals, literature, choral music
Appearance: Dark brown hair reaching just past the shoulders, green eyes, very fair skin
Personality: Not easily angered and very patient, sweet, introverted

message 14: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) I'm going to post my character in just a couple of minutes, but just to let you know, I wrote more than I intended to. I know we said simple character formats, but it helped me organize my thoughts :)

message 15: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) That's okay. Just let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to put in there. :)

message 16: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) Name- Elias Wyatt Reade
Nickname- n/a

Age- At this point, he's not sure it matters
Gender- Male

Appearance-

(view spoiler)
Faceclaim- Dane Dehaan
Hair color- Blond, but originally light brown. He's dyed it numerous times over the years.
Eye color- Blue
Height- 5'10"

Personality-
To say Elias is a private person would only scratch the surface. He talks to people, and has acquaintances, but to call them friends would be giving them too much credit. He's too independent and private to show much emotion, but the ones he does show are obvious and uncomplicated. Disdain. Amusement. Boredom. He prefers the uncomplicated.
He is stubborn and unyielding, and once he gets an idea it takes a lot of effort to make him change his mind. He feels he is right almost no matter the circumstance.
But underneath the self-contained confidence and muttered mocking remarks, there's a loneliness to Elias. The years have given him time to hide it, but he cannot help but feel alone.

History-
Centuries ago, Elias was in love. She was charming and beautiful, and Elias was lucky that she loved him back. But the gods are envious of each other and of mortals, and she died one day, caught in the crossfire of the gods' jealous games. One of the gods took pity on Elias, and as an apology (as a curse? Elias isn't sure some days), gave him immortality.
As the years crawled by, he slipped in and out of people's lives. He couldn't stay in one place too long (people notice if someone doesn't age a day for years), but he did the best he could. Some places were better than others. Recently, he started going to college to pass the time.

message 17: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Awesome. ^^ Want me to start?

message 18: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) Sure :)

message 19: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Okay, give me a few moments. :)

message 20: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Natalie glanced around as she took a seat in her first class of the day, biology 201, and leaned her back against the hard plastic of the chair as she pulled a textbook and notebook out and set them on the desk in front of her. She sighed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, closing her eyes and trying to mentally prepare herself. She was in school to someday become a veterinarian, but the couple of months she had spent taking this course were making her have second thoughts. It was difficult, and there wasn't even one single enjoyable thing about it. Furthermore, the professor was condescending, very much unlike her other professors, whom she found to at least be helpful or encouraging. At the very least, they didn't make passive remarks about her grades. She really was trying, after all. She wasn't one to slack off, and whenever her friends would go out, she would usually stay back and study. With the D she currently had, she didn't have much of an option at this point.
Natalie sighed quietly, knowing well that she had time to study some more before class actually started, but she didn't have a whole lot of motivation to speak of at the moment. All she did was study anymore. She definitely deserved these next fifteen minutes to herself. Taking a deep breath, she reached into her bag again, this time for her phone and wallet, and stood and started to head for the door. This was the first time in a little while that she actually had some time before class started, so she might as well make the most of it. She took another glance down at her black ballet flats as she walked, trying to think of what places were nearby. It'd been so long since she'd actually eaten by the campus, as she didn't have a ton of money to really treat herself all too often, but just getting herself a small snack and maybe some coffee wouldn't hurt for today. I'm working hard, she reminded herself, with school and trying to pay for it. So I deserve this. She smiled slightly to herself, then looked up as she pushed the door open to the outside world.

((More detail??))

message 21: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) ((No, that's great :D ))

Elias pulled his coat a little tighter around him, and wrapped both his hands tighter around the warm cup of cheap cafeteria coffee, trying to protect himself from the wind. It wasn't really that cold, but the strong wind made it feel much chillier to him. All across campus, other students walked in short sleeves or thin jackets, seemingly unfazed by the wind and the encroaching winter. Elias had never been able to adjust to the cold.

His next class didn't actually start for about fifteen minutes, but one of his classmates had texted him last night, asking about notes from the last lecture, and he agreed to get to class early today to let her borrow them. He assumed she hadn't studied and was planning on cramming for fifteen minutes before the exam today. Elias couldn't imagine that being an effective strategy, but if that's what she wanted to do, then so be it. He'd stayed up until early this morning, going over notes and assigned reading. Not that he minded. He'd picked history as his major because he enjoyed it, and didn't actually mind the work required. The only downside of last night's studying was the headache dully pounding at the back of his head.

When he got to the building where his class was, Elias reached to open the door, but someone opened it from the inside, and the slight surprise of the door opening pulled him out of his thoughts. Looking up, he made eye contact with the person in front of him, and time slowed to a stop at the same time as it sped up. His heart seemed to pound in his chest at the same time as it stopped beating altogether. It had been years, centuries, millennia since he had seen her, and things were different from what he remembered. Her hair was different, and she seemed taller, but he knew it was her. He didn't know how and he didn't know why, but standing in front of her, Elias just knew it was her.

A heartbeat later and he breathed normally again, realizing he must be staring. He averted his eyes to the side, and tried to find something to say. "I-, uh," He started, but stopped until he was sure he could form a full sentence. "Have we met before?" He asked, trying to make it seem as natural as possible.

message 22: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) ((Sweet :) ))

Natalie blinked, her green eyes flicking up at the man who had approached her, her eyebrows creasing together. Her heart stopped short as she studied his face; he was overall very attractive, and oh, she really shouldn't have looked up. She'd been approached before, and she'd had a couple of boyfriends, but she still always got somewhat nervous whenever someone she found to be attractive approached her. "Uh... I don't believe so," she said, sliding her hands into the pockets of her skinny jeans, an attempt to make herself look more casual, which she knew was futile because of the heat she could feel rising to her cheeks. She was even beginning to sweat a little. Dang it, why are you so nervous? You were just asked a question... by someone attractive, yes, but a simple question! "Maybe we have a class together or something?" She knew they didn't - she would have remembered if they had - but maybe her memory was just failing her. After all, she hadn't had much time to think about much else besides biology lately. She looked away, hoping her hair would hide enough of her face so he wouldn't have to see her blush. Regardless of whom she was talking to, her face was not a pretty sight when she was blushing, and she especially did not want someone this cute to see it.

message 23: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) Elias let out a breath he hadn't realized he was holding when she said they didn't know each other. Of course she didn't recognize him. Logically, he knew that she wouldn't remember him. She had died, and even though she was back, she wasn't necessarily the same person. And yet despite that, he couldn't help but feel a twinge of disappointment. How nice it would've been if she still knew him and they lived happily ever after. But that would've been far too simple, of course. The world never seemed to be that simple.

"Maybe so," He responded, but he knew they didn't share a class. Elias didn't talk to many people in his classes, but he would have noticed if she was in any of the same classes as he was.

Now that he was over most of his initial shock, he took a chance to look at her. Things were different, of course; time has a tendency to change things. Her hair was seemed a shade different, and a different hairstyle- having lived through centuries of changing fashion, Elias wasn't too impressed with current hairstyles, but he had to admit it framed her face well- and something about her facial features was different, but he couldn't tell what. Other things were still unchanged. She had the same posture, and her facial expressions were so familiar to him. It was the strangest feeling to him, staring at a face he had already made his goodbyes to.

Pulling himself back to the present, he shifted his coffee over to his left hand and stuck out his right for her to shake. "Well, I'm Elias, by the way."

message 24: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Natalie slowly looked back at him, hoping that maybe he wouldn't care about her blushing. "Natalie," she said, sliding her hand out of her pocket and hoping it wasn't too sweaty as she grasped his hand in hers. She almost smiled at the warmth and softness of it, and how well-groomed his nails were. She looked up at him and let go, tucking a strand of hair out of her face, something that was habitual for her as it was always in the way and she was always losing hair ties. "It's good to meet you." She glanced over at the clock hanging up; twelve minutes left. She'd still have some time if she headed for that one coffee shop across the street, but she'd have to beat the morning rush, too. "Hey... I really hate being rude, but I really need to go have my caffeine fix before class starts. Maybe I'll see you around?" She felt badly to cut their time short, but he had to understand. He was a student too. Hell, he was drinking coffee too - she could smell the aroma wafting from the cup he was holding - so he had to understand. She started to move past him, licking her lips as she felt a little guilty, but then a thought occurred to her and she turned back around. "Have you ever put butter in your coffee before?" she asked, pointing to his cup.

message 25: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) "Nice to meet you too," Elias said, shaking her hand briefly before putting his hand back in his pocket. His hand tingled slightly, and despite the wind and the cold and how nervous he was all of the sudden—the logical part of himself chided him for being nervous, and how ridiculous he was acting—his hand still felt warm. Natalie. He repeated the name to himself silently, turning it over in his mind. It was different, very different from what her name was years ago, but he liked it. It sounded nice in her voice.

Oh, right. He had been so caught up in his own thoughts that he hadn't considered that she might have somewhere to be. He stepped out of the doorway so she could walk past, and tried to mask his almost dejected expression. "Hopefully so," he said. He knew he had to find some excuse to talk to her again. How could he not? The problem was what that excuse would be. They didn't share any classes, and as far as he knew, they weren't in any of the same social circles. But he was sure he could figure out something.

His eyebrows furrowed a bit in confusion. "No, I can't say I have." He responded. He rarely put much of anything in his coffee. To him, it tasted quite a bit better with creamer and sugar, but he often couldn't be bothered to go to the store and get any when he ran out, so he was used to drinking it plain. "Is it good?" He asked.

message 26: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Natalie shrugged, balancing her weight on one leg. "The flavor's okay. It helps keep you from getting a caffeine crash and helps you stay focused longer, though. Just a little tip from one student to another." She smiled slightly. "I guess I'll see you around, Elias." She then turned again, then broke into a light jog.
Natalie couldn't help but feel giddy as she headed for the coffee shop, stopping at the light so she could press the button to cross the street. The guy almost looked sort of disappointed when she said she had to go. She didn't really enjoy taking pleasure in that sort of thing, but the two really didn't know each other and already it seemed like he didn't want her to go. It was probably just her imagination, though. She wouldn't say she was desperate for someone to fall in love with her, but the idea still excited her. And whenever she met someone as she just had, it was hard not to imagine falling in love with them.
The walk signal appeared and Natalie crossed the street, breaking into her jog again. Maybe she was just overthinking. She'd never had a serious relationship before, so it probably wasn't going to happen now. She did have a habit of being optimistic, sometimes too much so. This guy maybe thought she was cute at most. He probably didn't think anything would happen between the two of them.
She sighed, slowing her pace as she got to the coffee shop and opened the door, inhaling the heavenly aroma of coffees brewing and milk steaming. She smiled at the barista up ahead, who greeted her also with a smile and a friendly nod, and she headed up to her, ordering a medium vanilla latte. As she handed her some money plus a tip, she glanced out the window back at the university, wondering which class Elias was heading to or if he was going somewhere else. Maybe if she tried to find him again, she would. She had a chance with him, didn't she? She was decent looking, fairly intelligent, and hadn't been convicted of any felonies. That put her higher up on the list than some other people.

((^Awkward ending! Couldn't think of a better way to end my part. :P
Also, I'm at work now, so I won't respond until late. :P))

message 27: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) ((No, it was fine :) Do you mind if, after I write my response to your last post, I just go ahead and skip to whenever they meet again? Also, you do have any preference as to when/how they meet next?))

message 28: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) ((Yep, go ahead! And no, I don't. :) ))

message 29: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Or if you'd like, I can write and skip ahead?

message 30: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) ((Oh, sorry, I meant to write a response last night but got super distracted. I'll start writing now :) ))

message 31: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) "I'll try to remember that, then," He said. As she jogged off, Elias turned to and watched her leave. It was only the buzzing of his phone getting text after text that made him realize he was still staring off in the direction she left in for a minute or two after she'd already disappeared from view. He pulled out his phone, reading the frantic texts from the girl who was going to borrow his notes, asking where he was and why he wasn't in class early like he'd agreed to be.

With a shake of his head, he slid his phone back in his pocket, and open the door to the building, giving one last look over his shoulder before going inside and handing his notes off.

His class passed agonizingly slow. He could barely concentrate, despite the fact that he generally enjoyed this class. Every few minutes his mind would wander back to Natalie. He knew he was being ridiculous, really. She didn't know him anymore, and there was no reason to believe she was exactly the same as she had been before. And besides, he'd changed too. Despite all that, he could help but... hope? He wasn't sure if that was quite what he was feeling, but it seemed like the best word to describe the tightness in his chest and the almost high-school like nervousness.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Elias sat at a table in the library, switching between a reading assignment and an essay. The reading assignment was for his one required science credit of the year, and while it certainly wasn't the most boring thing he'd ever read, it was too dull to keep his focus for long, so he would occasionally turn his attention to the history essay, which was much more interesting to him.

Leaning back in his chair, he reviewed over the part of the essay he'd already typed, and allowed his mind to drift back to yesterday. After his class yesterday, he had stood outside and looked for Natalie, hoping she would just coincidentally walk by. Of course, it was a bad plan, since even if she walk by, what would he have even said to her? 'Hey, you seem super cool and also we knew each other in a past life!' As simple and easy of a solution as that might be (after all, even that seemed better than agonizing over what to do), it would probably freak her out, justifiably. So after nearly twenty minutes of standing out in the cold, he just went home to his apartment, since he wouldn't have been able to concentrate enough in the rest of his classes that day to justify going.

With a slight sigh, Elias rubbed his eyes, trying to focus again on what he was doing. He sincerely hoped that this was temporary, since he wasn't sure how long he'd be able to stand the distractedness and thoughts that constantly wandered.

message 32: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Natalie downed the last of her coffee before she tossed it in the garbage can outside the library doors and started to head inside. The library had a strict no food or drink policy, and rightfully so - college students weren't exactly known to be neat and mannerly, and no one wanted to try to get potato chip crumbs out of a book or replace a material that had water spilled on it. To her and the librarians, the idea of someone touching books with their greasy fingers was rather horrifying.

Natalie stopped, glancing around the library for a moment before she started to head for a table in the corner of the room, completely unoccupied and sure to be free from distraction. Sure, she was a good student, but on days like today, she couldn't bring herself to concentrate. Part of it was the guy she met the day before, and part of it was just sheer exhaustion from the amount of work given to her and amount of work given to her. Tempting as it was to just give up for the day and take a nap, she knew she had to be a good girl and just force herself to focus, but she knew it wasn't going to be possible.

Pulling a hair tie off her wrist and starting to put her hair up in a ponytail, she stopped again, this time because she'd spotted the blond guy up ahead. Licking her lips, she slowly started to head for her table again, tearing her eyes away from him. It was already pretty pathetic, how much she'd imagined going on dates with him since yesterday. She didn't even know anything beyond his first name. And yet telling herself that didn't help anything, and her imagination had only kept conjuring up more ideas.

But I still might have a chance, she thought to herself. So unless and until he rejects me, I might as well give it a try, and if he doesn't like me, maybe we can at least be friends. I'd rather be friends than nothing at all.

Biting her lip, she slowly turned, then started making her way to his table, fighting the wave of nausea that usually came whenever she was nervous. The last thing she wanted to do was throw up in his lap the day after she met him. Taking a breath, she set her bag down by the table, then smiled down at him. "Hey. Elias, right?"

message 33: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) ((Hey, sorry I haven't been posting much lately. Things have just been really busy and weird for me, but hopefully I'll be able to post more in the future. I at least will be able to this weekend :) ))

Elias forced his mind back to the present, focusing on what was write in front of him. Leaning forward in his chair, he highlighted a sentence in the essay and quickly rewrote it, only to quickly delete it again. His hands hovered above the laptop keyboard, trying to find the best way to phrase the introductory sentence of this paragraph. Nothing he could think of seemed quite right, but he was finally focused, until a voice distracted him.

Slightly startled at the voice, he looked up, only to blink in surprise at the sight of Natalie. "Uh, yeah." He said with a nod. "And you're Natalie?" It came out like a question, as though he was double-checking that he remembered her name right, but that was unnecessary. It wasn't as though he'd managed to have forgotten her name in one day, certainly not with how often his mind was wandering back to her.

Realizing that her setting her bag down meant that she might want to sit down at the table, he cleared away some of his stuff to give her room. Having been sitting here in the library for an hour or two already, he had books and papers strewn over the table in a haphazard manner, and a stack of books sitting in the only other chair at the table. One of the joys of being a history major was having to cite numerous rather esoteric books in practically every paper one writes. He set the books on the floor and shoved the papers to the side as best as he could, though it still looked just about as messy as it did before.

message 34: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) Natalie nodded, tucking her hair behind her ear again as she sat down. "You didn't have to do that," she said, glancing at the pile of books and papers. She looked up at Elias, then quickly looked back down, feeling herself get embarrassed again. Why, though? There was nothing to be embarrassed about! She was just being silly, acting like she was back in junior high. It was about time she acted like an adult.
And yet she still couldn't bring herself to look up at him.
She held back a sigh. How was she ever going to have a boyfriend? Maybe she wouldn't. She was probably just going to end up as a crazy cat lady, all because she couldn't bring herself to simply look up at this guy. If he could just see her thought process right now, he'd surely think she was pathetic. Her cheeks burned at the thought and she pulled her hair back down. I don't know how I'm going to continue talking to this guy if I can't even look at him, she thought. And I have studying to do. As does he, obviously. You're only serving as a distraction now.

message 35: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) ((And that's okay. ^^ I get busy with work and some other stuff sometimes, so I totally get it.))

message 36: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) ((I'm sorry to be a bother... but would you mind replying? ^^))

message 37: by Evan (new)

Evan (evanny) ((I'm really sorry, but I've kind of lost interest/inspiration for this rp. It's seriously nothing personal or anything, it just sometimes happens to me with some rps. Again, sorry.))

message 38: by Christi (new)

Christi (harhailija) ((Okay))