2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Off Topic > Life Changing Books?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Busy (new)

Busy | 65 comments Has anyone read a book that has changed you, or the way you think about the world? My book is Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. It turned me inside out, scooped out my insides, turned me rightside out again and put everything back in a different order.

message 2: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments For me, it's The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Other books I've read have let me have glimpses and small changes, but this one really turned me around.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Harris (nicoleintrovert) The Catcher in the Rye made me feel not so isolated in high school. The Hunger Games rekindled my love for reading which had fizzled for several years.

message 4: by Narma (new)

Narma | 49 comments 100 Years of Solitude

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Jan 24, 2015 06:14PM) (new)

Michelle Winchester The Picture of Dorian Gray. It hit me really hard, because it made me aware how easily you can be manipulated by other people without even realizing it. Manipulated to the point where you're an entirely different person.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Schwimley (victoriaschwimley) I've got to say Pay it Forward. This story shows one boy's true belief in the ability of mankind to show generosity towards each other.

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleleann) White Oleander by Janet Fitch. I had some serious mommy issues and it gave me so much hope that someday I could overcome all the manipulation and finally make a life for myself instead of living for someone else.

message 8: by Narma (new)

Narma | 49 comments Jade wrote: "The Picture of Dorian Gray. It hit me really hard, because it made me aware how easily you can be manipulated by other people without even realizing it. Manipulated to the point where y..."

One of my favorite books!

message 9: by Marah (new)

Marah (eyreo) Dawn by V.C. Andrews. It was my first "grown up" book that I read when I was a child and she had a similar situation growing up like I did (not that I was kidnapped like she was), but the family aspects were particularly close to mine.

I also really liked The Last Lecture. I read it from time to time when I feel like I'm stuck.

message 10: by Pammie (new)

Pammie (pammie90) | 6 comments Your comment makes me want to reread Cat's Cradle. I remember reading it when I first went to college, and I can kind of remember bits and pieces, but it definitely warrants revisiting.

One book that definitely changed my life was Tuck Everlasting. When I first read it, I was about the age of Jessie Tuck...the last time I read it with my sixth grade literature class, I was older than Mae Tuck. It amazed me that a novel could affect me at these different stages of my life, even though the Tucks were the most static characters in literature! The imagery was wonderful, as were the characterizations and how Babbitt built suspense. Ultimately she shows how "immortality", something so many people seem to want--either by trying to remain young, or by hoping for some kind of afterlife--will not help you at all if you don't appreciate the moments and stages of your life as it is given to you. Thank you, Natalie Babbitt.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a great thread. I'm giving it some thought to see if I can settle on just one book to mention, and meanwhile enjoying the other titles to consider.

Thanks for sharing, everyone.

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan (bookworm_booklover) | 170 comments The Harry Potter series changed my life completely. They got me into reading, they were a place for me to escape to when it seemed like my world was falling apart and gave me strength in the thought that even under the cupboard nobodies can overcome the strongest, darkest forces in the world.

message 13: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Great topic :)

I've no idea if some books changed my life, I don't think so but maybe it's not enough obvious for me. It's more that readings reinforce what I think or how I see life.
However, some movies changed my way to see the society, learnt me values and I'm pretty sure I would never be who/where I am now if I didn't see some of them.

message 14: by Lora (new)

Lora (misplacedselchie) | 347 comments The first one I think if is also Harry Potter. I had already liked fantasy before that, but that just opened me up to a whole new experience. Like Harry, I was constantly picked on as a kid (because I was white) and had super low self esteem. Harry Potter was something I grasped onto, that the under dog could prevail no matter what adversity they faced. That love conquers everything.

other than that, it would have to be the Bible also :)

message 15: by Cait (new)

Cait (clickcait) | 480 comments The Endless Steppe: Growing Up in Siberia certainly had a profound effect on me. I think I was about eleven or twelve and I read it for school, then reread, then begged for a copy of it myself. Although we'd read Anne Frank's diary this one stuck with me a whole lot more for some reason. I couldn't believe that people could be made to live like that and it made me want to make sure I never lived in a world like that.

I think The Lord of the Rings also changed my life in that it's one of my favourite books and it's helped me forge friendships and try things I wouldn't otherwise have tried. The same can be said for the Harry Potter books too.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Victoria wrote: "I've got to say Pay it Forward. This story shows one boy's true belief in the ability of mankind to show generosity towards each other."

I agree! Loved the book and the movie. It's just too bad that people aren't like that in real life.

message 17: by Cybersekkin (new)

Cybersekkin | 25 comments I hate to bring up a video but http://youtu.be/h4Z6tw4MdJs "why read" really speaks to me and I never put my finger on it why I have always been driven to read but when he said he was as he always felt out of place it just kinda feels apropos to me. As for books that have changed my life? for the better or worse? Many books give me hope and joy while some books have just dragged me through the mud.

message 19: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
Michele wrote: "White Oleander by Janet Fitch. I had some serious mommy issues and it gave me so much hope that someday I could overcome all the manipulation and finally make a life for myself instead of living fo..."

That's one on my favorite books :) I actually am reading it for the week that's a book from your childhood. I read it in junior high. I thought about going further back and reading a Trixie Belden book or something but then I decided White Oleander would be a good idea. I'm curious to see what I think about it now that I'm older. I'm wondering if I'll pick up on more.

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie (ktmac_1) Hinds' Feet on High Places is that book for me.