2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The Illustrated Man
This topic is about The Illustrated Man
. Week 12: Short Stories > The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana A (last edited Jan 30, 2015 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments This topic used to be about The Martian Chronicles but I changed my mind because of QS. Haha.

I'm choosing the Illustrated Man because it's a short collection of short stories and I really like Bradbury's shorts.

[For Martian Chronicles: I chose this book because I truly enjoy Bradbury's short stories (a bit more than his novels). The ones I've read are all thought-provoking and some made me sad, some made me think about social issues.
For this collection, I've read "August 2002: Night Meeting" and "August 2026: There Will Come Soft Rains". Twenty-four stories to go.]

message 2: by QS (new) - rated it 5 stars

QS (yodepalma) | 42 comments This book is technically considered a short novel, much like Dandelion Wine but without the weird connecting blurbs. But whatever; it was definitely a bunch of separate short stories at one point, so you take it however you want. XD

Anyway, this one isn't anywhere near my favorite Bradbury collection (may I recommend A Sound of Thunder?), but it's a solid collection and the stories do tell one big story if you're paying attention. High five for Bradbury! I'll be reading one for this challenge as well. o/

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments QS wrote: "This book is technically considered a short novel, much like Dandelion Wine but without the weird connecting blurbs. But whatever; it was definitely a bunch of separate short stories at one point, ..."

Yeah, I kind of noticed based on the beginning of the titles of the stories/chapters, but I'm sticking with this because I think it's shorter than A Sound of Thunder and Other Stories. But I'm still some weeks away from reading this. I might change my mind 'cause now I'm intrigued to read that other book too.

message 4: by QS (new) - rated it 5 stars

QS (yodepalma) | 42 comments Yeah, it's a lot shorter than A Sound of Thunder...but not as good, imho. If you want a better short one, I'd recommend The Illustrated Man. I'm partial to A Sound of Thunder at least partly because it has my favorite story, is all. ;) I also don't like his Mars stories as much as I like his other ones, which doesn't help my opinion of the book. But Bradbury in general is my favorite author, so I'm excited whenever I see somebody reading anything of his! 8D

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments Oooh, it's short. I think I'll change to that one and read The Martian Chronicles in another week. Thanks, QS!

That's the same guy in Something Wicked This Way Comes, right?

message 6: by QS (new) - rated it 5 stars

QS (yodepalma) | 42 comments It's never explicitly stated that it's the same guy as in Something Wicked..., but really there can only be so many tattooed men with living tattoos out there, right?

Finally, my knowledge of all things Bradbury comes in handy! ;) I hope you enjoy it! Also, you're welcome. I should probably be polite and say that. :|

Audra (audri8301) I can't wait to hear what you think of this one. It's one of my favorite books to use with my eighth graders since all of the stories are so thought-provoking.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I am LOVING this! I've only read the first three stories so far but they are just as good as I was expecting. Bradbury is amazing.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I finished it and I loved it. Maybe there were only two or three stories that weren't my cup of tea, but all in all, it's such a beautiful collection. It even inspired me to write my own.