A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) A Dance with Dragons discussion

Who is Cold Hands????

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Does anybody really believe this is Benjen????
I just don't think it could be!!!
Could it not really be Halfhand or somebody left behind at Crasters

Alex Apparently someone confirmed that it is not Benjen (they found a manuscript of the novel to which, perhaps the editor, asked if Cold Hands was Benjen in the margin and GRRM simply wrote "NO" next to it).

I do not really have any idea who Cold Hands could be.

message 3: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Do you reckon Benjen is alive??

Thomas It's definetly not Benjen Stark (GRRM said so), maybe someone who died at Craster's or maybe it's just someone whe don't know yet.

Alex I don't think Benjen is alive. Nor do I think we will find him as a Wight or anything.

TheBohemianBookworm Well if Martin said it wasn't him then I guess it's not.

message 7: by Charlie (new)

Charlie I'm trying to think who it could be and what/who is the coolest/scariest thing it could be. Maybe a Stark from long ago, because we don't really know how old the 3 eyed crow is.
GRRM said the identity will be revealed in Winds of Winter

Ad.costas It's probably some old northern guy, like 500 years old.

Piotrek Charlie wrote: "I'm trying to think who it could be and what/who is the coolest/scariest thing it could be. Maybe a Stark from long ago, because we don't really know how old the 3 eyed crow is.
GRRM said the ident..."

Oh, ye gods! Then we may never learn his identity!

Brooklyn Ann I'm kinda bummed that it's not Benjen. It would have been nice to have some closure on a mystery that was presented 5 books ago.

message 11: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Yes but that is just George. He wants to be honest in his portrayal of war, looking at the aftermath as well as the battle - that being said, people also go missing and are never heard from again.

Thomas That's why his books are so nice, they're really realistic on every point of view.

Aaron I saw a theory a little while back (I don't recall all the details), that Coldhands is actually Ser Duncan the Tall from the Tales of Dunk and Egg.

pearl. Alex wrote: "Apparently someone confirmed that it is not Benjen (they found a manuscript of the novel to which, perhaps the editor, asked if Cold Hands was Benjen in the margin and GRRM simply wrote "NO" next t..."

"NO"

Haha!! George RR Martin is so awesome!

Adrian It may not be Benjen, but it has to be someone of note. Otherwise keeping his identity secret for a big reveal is just stupid.
How would it look if at the end of WOW the big reveal is that Cold Hands is actually Joe Kastark? Who is Joe? Joe was born 300 years ago and died of mushroom poisoning beyond the wall. Why was this a big reveal? Because... kind of stupid when you look at it like that.

George has to make Cold Hands a big reveal now and the best one would be Benjen, but if he stands by the statement that it's not Benjen then i honestly don't know who it could be that would have relevance or traction with the readers...

In any case it has been so long already since i read ADWD that i forgot most of it. I will definitely have to read it again when or even if WOW comes out...

Brooklyn Ann Aside from the possibility of this being a hoax (like the Star Wars Trailer incident) he also could have meant "No! I'm not ready to reveal that yet!"

You really never know with George.

message 17: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Check out Alt Shift X on YouTube;

https://www.youtube.com/user/JaiWbio

He does really good videos about GoT and fan theories, I think he was where I got the information about GRRM saying "NO".

Charles Hash It could be the Night's King, serving his penance of eternal undeath for the things he did.

Adrian The Night's King... That would make him a good guy as well. Is almost everyone north of the wall good guys except for the others?

I guess the Night's King is a big enough reveal to work if you exclude Benjen... Problem is we don't know who he is nor do we care at this point. So it's definitely weaker than Black Hands being Benjen, but better than him being "Donald NoIdeeaWho".

message 20: by Charles (last edited Mar 06, 2015 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charles Hash I care about the Night's King. Its the only rumor of a female Other. And I have my own suspicions that he is not a good guy, and neither is Bloodraven.

I would love to see a reveal where the Others are a female dominated society with a Queen.

Thomas If he were the Night King that would be so awesome !
I think he's a good guy but yea.. there's something miss with him, i don't know it just feels that way.