The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

international > Russia/Ukraine - new rocket attack

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

message 2: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy The things that Putin is doing are quite scary. He really wants the old USSR back.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark | 785 comments Jimmy wrote: "The things that Putin is doing are quite scary. He really wants the old USSR back."

Yes, I think he actually does, and it is genuinely very frightening. I trust Obama, but he now has to work with a completely insane Congress, so I don't know if that will constrain his diplomatic efforts at all. Or if US diplomatic efforts even matter, in this context.

message 4: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy Putin seems to be the type of guy who needs to have his manhood glorified. I wish there were ways that we could have sought more Russian help with incidents around the world, just to give him a boost as a world leader. I mean there is no need to revert back to the old days of being close to war.

message 5: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy By the way the Frontline show on Putin should be available online at PBS.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark | 785 comments Jimmy wrote: "By the way the Frontline show on Putin should be available online at PBS."

Thanks for the heads-up! :)

And да, I do wish we could have found a better accommodation with Putin.

message 7: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy The "Russian separatists" or whoever they are, are actually openly attacking a city that wants nothing to do with them. Another shameful world incident that no one can do anything about.

message 8: by Mark (last edited Jan 27, 2015 10:23AM) (new)

Mark | 785 comments Jimmy wrote: "The "Russian separatists" or whoever they are, are actually openly attacking a city that wants nothing to do with them. Another shameful world incident that no one can do anything about."

Alas, Jimmy, that does seem to be the unifying theme (the "theory of everything") in the realm of world events. It is just empirically the case that "nobody can do anything." It feels akin to watching a thousand impending train wrecks at once, with no access to the switching circuitry control room.

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark | 785 comments Krishna wrote: "Why UN is not doing anything about it? Russia is breaking the UN rules. Is it because of it's permanent membership in the security council?"

Any member of the permanent Security Council can veto any action, Krishna.

message 10: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy The recent assassination of Boris Nemtsov may be related. He was organizing a protest against Russian involvement in the Ukraine. Of course, Putin denies there are even Russian troops there.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark | 785 comments They certainly appear to have wanted to make it unambiguously clear that they could murder anyone they wanted to, anywhere, at any time (in this case, right next to the Kremlin wall, surrounded by a crowd, and with eighteen cameras focussed on the event -- with absolute impunity. But who had ever doubted it?