The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

international > A Probable Leftist Win in Greece

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark | 785 comments http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/e-u-ba...

Makes the right-wing austerity-worshipers unhappy -- because austerity has obviously worked so well for Greece.

message 2: by Jimmy (last edited Jan 24, 2015 01:12PM) (new)

Jimmy One thing we have to remember about Greece is that one key to their economic problems was money coming in. Cheating on your taxes, even just not paying them, has become endemic there. Rich Greeks just don't do their fair share. Sound familiar?

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark | 785 comments Jimmy wrote: " . Rich Greeks just don't do their fair share. Sound familiar? j..."

Um... let me think... I'm really trying, but no, absolutely nothing *cough*insane plutocrats*cough* comes to mind. I guess you have me trumped... er, I mean, stumped. I guess it must be the kock crowing outside that's distracting me.

message 4: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 74 comments Now syriza is in power. Hopefully something interesting will happen there.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark | 785 comments Philip wrote: ""Greeks in Surprise Vote Against Being Kicked in Teeth for Next Five Years Shock""

Heh! Wouldn't it by nice if Americans someday registered an objection to being kicked in the teeth (and in other, more painful, places) -- not to mention eviscerated -- by the proponents of an evil and toxic ideology? For some reason, last November was "kick-me-in-the-teeth" month in the United States. (Perhaps the voters were trying indirectly to provide an economic stimulus package for dentists.)