Children's Books discussion

Resources: awards, clubs. etc. > International awards

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 6246 comments Mod
Looking ahead, I know we'll run out of Newberys to read.
I'd like to then read some works that have won International awards. So far these look like sources of titles:

Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award
ALSC Mildred L. Batchelder Award for Translated Children's Books
Hans Christian Andersen Award
USBBY Outstanding International Books (OIB) List

Do you know of any others?
Maybe there will be a start-up between now and when we start this club, so remember to keep your eyes open, please.

(Anyone interested in a more comprehensive list of award given for children's books may want to look here: http://ccb.lis.illinois.edu/awards.html

message 2: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7210 comments Mod
Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis (German Youth Literature Prize) is an annual award established in 1956 and is Germany's only state-funded literature award. It recognises both German and international authors (there are prizes for best picture book, best children's book, best young adult book and best non fiction book). Some internationally known German children's authors who have been been honoured with this prize are Mirjam Pressler, Cornelia Funke, Gudrun Pausewang, Peter Härtling and Michael Ende.

message 4: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments Reading other award-winning books would be wonderful. I'm sure there are some for YA books too but can't think of them off the top of my head.

message 5: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7210 comments Mod
For British books, the Carnegie Medal is, I believe, the equivalent of the Newbery Award.

message 6: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

I believe it is. There are lots of country-wide awards, and it would be interesting to look at some of those, too. Here, though, I'm trying to focus on awards given by an organization that looks for books from all over the world, so we can get 'best of show' instead of simply 'best in class.'

message 7: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

One source of lists is the ALA, but I still can't find anything that's likely to be a better fit to this group than the ones already named.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Fitzgerald | 367 comments The Children's Book Award (now named the Josette Frank Award) from the Bank Street College of Education goes back to 1943.

https://www.bankstreet.edu/center-childrens-literature/childrens-book-committee/awards/award-winners/

There are a few Newbery duplicates, but not many. Only fiction, which probably makes people happier. As far as I know, it does not have the "American" stipulation that Newbery does.

The Lewis Carroll Shelf Award is good (again, not limited to USA), but there are quite a few Newbery dupes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Carroll_Shelf_Award

It only ran for a decade, but named many titles each year, and they reach back into the 1800s in some cases. Perhaps a bit too commonly read, however.

message 9: by Cheryl is busier irl atm., Newbery Club host (new)

Thank you!!