What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Teenage girl in the punk or gothic scene is searching for her older missing brother

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Mckinnon | 5 comments I read a great book in the early 2000s about a teenage girl who is punk or gothic and her older brother goes missing a few years earlier she decides she is going to find out what happened to him and starts hanging out at this park he and his friends would go, if I remember correctly there was alot of drug dealing in that park. It also tells the point of view of the younger brother who is in middle school and is friends well a trouble maker they drink because the friends Mom is never home the two boys sexually experiment, also I wanna say I remember the dad is a teacher. The cover was pink and white and black. I believe it was a female as author. Any ideas what book I read? I would like to read it again but can't remember the name or author

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments What time period/location does the story take place?
Part of a series?
Are there any supernatural elements in the story?
Is it more of a mystery, coming-of-age, etc?

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber Mckinnon | 5 comments It is definitely a coming of age story, set in the 80s or 90s. It is in a city maybe Chicago. In the end she finds out that her older brother died, he has been missing for a couple of years. There wasn't really any sci-fi or supernatural elements.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber Mckinnon | 5 comments Bump

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber Mckinnon | 5 comments Any thoughts?

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
A long shot - Missing by Cathy MacPhail?

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber Mckinnon | 5 comments No very similar plot but it is unfortunately not Missing it is also not frozen fire.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Amber, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 9: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh (earthanimal) | 1 comments I am looking for this book as well! Other things that may be pertinent:

she tries to kill herself at some point. she goes and buys sleeping pills, liquor, and what i believe to be reese's pieces. (not sure how she bought liquor, i think she was supposed to be about 15). the scene of her attempted suicide is descriptive; she talks about her bed and walls "breathing" and a parade of people walking through her room, including her missing (dead) brother. she winds up in the hospital, getting her stomach pumped.
she becomes friends with a homeless kid in the park, and eventually she falls in love with him?

i'm really happy someone else knows of this book. i really thought i may have made it all up

message 10: by Melo (new)

Melo (mellowhirl) | 2 comments This thread is old - I found it while searching for the book myself. I finally found success on Reddit. I figured I'd share for all the future Google search hunters out there.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Every Visible Thing is Melo's suggestion.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Amber, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Every Visible Thing (other topics)
Missing (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Cathy MacPhail (other topics)