Discworld discussion

Newbie want's to get into Discworld

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kythe42 (new)

Kythe42 | 24 comments I personally think people should start at the beginning and read the books chronologically. It's really a matter of opinion though. I absolutely loved the first few books while others didn't enjoy them at all. A lot of the people that didn't enjoy the first books often recommend starting with Guards! Guards! which I really didn't like that much.

There is no telling which of the books you will prefer until you read them. All I know is that I started reading them chronologically because I had no one to tell me to do it differently and I enjoyed the first book enough to become instantly addicted to the series.

message 2: by Ian (last edited Jan 25, 2015 12:58PM) (new)

Ian  | 2 comments As Kythe says, really up to you.
I suggested that my wife try them, and she ought to start with Wyrd Sisters because of the Shakespeare gags (I thought she might dislike the first couple of books because they have a fair few "in jokes " for classic fantasy readers).
She couldn't get into it Wyrd Sisters at all, but she then wisely decided to ignore me and started to read chronologically and hasn't looked back - loves them all, including Wyrd Sisters, as much as me, so go figure!

message 3: by D.K. (new)

D.K. Mok (dkmok) | 3 comments Hi Kevin, it's great to hear that you're wanting to get into the Discworld series! As Kythe42 and Ian mentioned, there are diverse opinions out there on which are the best books. Some people are fans of the witches, others enjoy the City Watch stories, and some love the wizard-centric books.

I'd suggest starting at the beginning with The Colour of Magic. If you don't really enjoy it, then maybe try a standalone like Small Gods, or jump to Guards! Guards!.

If you have the time, I think it's worth starting from the first book and working your way through chronologically because you get to see the world and the characters evolving. Even though some books are better than others, I found it really rewarding to see the world growing and becoming more layered with each story.

Sir Terry's style also changes over time, and for me, it was a brilliant journey seeing the Discworld books becoming, at times, darker and more challenging, while retaining the quirk and wit of the early books.

The earlier books lean more towards light-hearted satire, but if you're fine with that, then I think it's worth starting from the beginning. Let us know how you go!

message 4: by Piotrek (new)

Piotrek | 2 comments Guards!Guards! and the Sam Vimes saga is generally a good place to start as it makes fun not as much of fantasy tropes as of our world and its many flaws. Personally, I started by reading the Witches of Lancre saga and I immediately fell in love with those books. Anyway, if you love satire and a good laugh out of a book every few pages, you'll love The Discworld. Just don't start with Rincewind - Colors of Magic is not the peak of Pratchett's writing (later books in the Rincewind series, however, are so get around to them as well).

message 5: by Marian (new)

Marian | 14 comments I too recommend starting at the beginning. The Color of Magic has its own charm. I love the luggage! (And now you have to read it to find out what I'm referring to)

message 6: by D.K. (new)

D.K. Mok (dkmok) | 3 comments Marian wrote: "I too recommend starting at the beginning. The Color of Magic has its own charm. I love the luggage!"

Yes! It'd be a shame to miss out on the luggage. I still want one of those...

message 7: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (varsas) | 14 comments The first book I tried was 'The Colour of Magic' but I really didn't get on with it and didn't finish it. I tried another a year or so later, 'Mort', and fell in love it and the world.

I'd say try the first book from a series of characters i.e. The Colour of Magic for the Wizards or Equal Rites for the Witches or Mort for Death or Guard Guards for the City Watch.

message 8: by Pj (new)

Pj | 5 comments Start at the beginning you won't regret it. There is only 40 books so it won't take long to get through them. I've just started to read them again and I'm loving it..

message 9: by Dorian (new)

Dorian (dorian_l) | 2 comments Hi, Kevin, another newbie here. I found a handy flow chart online that I am going to try to follow (and, because there are multiple "starter books," I may have to jump from one flow to another because of availability at my local library - I'm 11th in line for Color of Magic...). I'm just curious if you started yet, with what, and how you are faring?

message 10: by Dorian (new)

Dorian (dorian_l) | 2 comments Oh, I meant to post the link to the chart: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-o...

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 1 comments The secret is to start somewhere. Discworld will enthral and entertain you no matter where you start.

Personally, the right place to start the adventure is the beginning - The First Discworld Novels: The Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic

message 12: by Igzy (new)

Igzy Dewitt (IgzyDewitt) | 5 comments My favorite is The Hogfather. http://www.amazon.com/Hogfather-Novel...

Other great stand alone novels to start with the setting are The Truth, Monstrous Regiment, and Clay Feet. In my opinion there's really no wrong place to start with Discworld. They all have more sausage than sizzle in them.

message 13: by Dale (new)

Dale | 7 comments Start with Colour Of Magic.. read them in order.. if you dont like the first books then you don't like Pratchett or Discworld and you really should not be on here giving anyone any sort of reading advice.

message 14: by Igzy (new)

Igzy Dewitt (IgzyDewitt) | 5 comments Dale wrote: "Start with Colour Of Magic.. read them in order.. if you dont like the first books then you don't like Pratchett or Discworld and you really should not be on here giving anyone any sort of reading ..."

Didn't you just post about how people complain they don't like the first two books compared to the others, and that you couldn't understand why?

Kevin said: "I often hear how great the discworld series is and now I want to get into it.">/i>

OP, read whichever ones you like. Pratchett has lots of twists and turns, but he's like your grandparent's cabinets, regardless of where you start you'll always find treasure.

message 15: by Piotrek (new)

Piotrek | 2 comments Dale wrote: "Start with Colour Of Magic.. read them in order.. if you dont like the first books then you don't like Pratchett or Discworld and you really should not be on here giving anyone any sort of reading ..."

That's really interesting, mr. "My Opinion is the Only Truth, Bow Before Me". Yes, I did not enjoy Colour of Magic as much as I did the other books, especially the Witches and the City Watch sagas. Does that make me less of a fan of Pratchett's work? I don't think so...
I would elaborate on this but seeing how you gave no arguments for your theory about not liking Pratchett if you didn't like all of his work I'm just gonna say: bite me.

message 16: by Niall (new)

Niall | 129 comments TCOM & Light Fantastic are excellent books, in my humble opinion. However having read the series, it can fairly be said that they, and to a lesser extent, wyrd sisters, do not represent the the rest of the books. The first books were very much a poke at the books Terry grew up on and loved. They were very much pure comic fantasy. While the books that came after them, while still reflecting aspects of his favourite books, were much more satirical and in the style of what we think of when someone mentions Discworld.
I still think is is preferable to read them in order first time around, but the characters are so well written in all of his novels that where ever someone starts, they will understand the story.
To say that someone can not like the disc or Pratchet because they weren't keen on the first books is daft.

message 17: by Dale (new)

Dale | 7 comments Again... read them all from start to finish.... yeah thats my opinion and it holds more water than your goofy picture and insults in the other threads, nowhere have you explained why anyone should start in the middle of a book series...nuff said.. enjoy children

message 18: by Niall (new)

Niall | 129 comments Referring to people that do not share your opinion as "children" would be an example of one of those insults you find offensive.