The Reading Challenge Group discussion

The Red Tent
This topic is about The Red Tent
Group Read Archive 2014-16 > World Literature Group Read (Middle East: February 2015) - The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
February's World Literature Group Read will be The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant!

Reading and discussion commence on February 1. Please keep spoilers behind spoiler tags.

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 17 comments I just started reading it this morning!

message 3: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renee M | 4727 comments Mod
Yes!

Laura | 138 comments Read this when it first came out. one of my professors wrote a book that goes in depth with more info Inside the Red Tent. Happy reading all!

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 17 comments I finished it in three days! Excellent read!

Karolyn | 112 comments Just started in, so far I'm enjoying it.

message 7: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh, good! I got sidetracked and am planning to finish the month with this.

Karolyn | 112 comments I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Great characters that "fill in the blanks" of what might have happened between the lines of the Bible. Really makes me think about so many Bible stories where women had to have been there, and had a view... But it didn't make it into the Bible stories.

message 9: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 5 stars

Which makes it surprising that there haven't been more authors trying to fill those blanks before Diamant. Think of all the books we have which filling backstory for Austen or the Brontes.

message 10: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (last edited Feb 17, 2015 09:47AM) (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Renee wrote: "Which makes it surprising that there haven't been more authors trying to fill those blanks before Diamant. Think of all the books we have which filling backstory for Austen or the Brontes."

I grew up reading lots of books that tried to fill in those blanks. Bodie and Brock Thoene's A.D. Chronicles series did loads of them (I particularly enjoyed the leper colony one); He Who Wept: An Epic Novel of Jeremiah by Thom Lemmons affected me very deeply, and I've always wanted to read it again; there are hundreds of books about Mary Magdalene, and now I can't remember which one I read that was really good... anyway, there are lots of them! They don't tend to make it to the mainstream audience very often, I guess, but Christian bookstores are chock full of them.

Happy (worldhasteeth) I love the idea of every woman in the household, menstruating in sync, and getting a week off together, though I can't imagine that ever working out in practice. But for the sake of a good novel I can certainly suspend disbelief enough to allow it to work that way.

message 12: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I have this downloaded on my kindle. I have two 6 hour flights coming up this evening so will start it tonight!

message 13: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 5 stars

This is one of those experiences where I'm reminded of how truly slowly I actually read. (And also how little time I have for it.) Listening to audio books on my commute makes it possible for me to tear through books each month, but when eyeball reading it's a slow process. A good process. A comforting, enriching, relaxing process. Just slow.

Anyway, I am still reading The Red Tent, and enjoying it immensely.

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Just finished The Red Tent! This book moved along for me but it didn't move me. I did like the idea of gabbing and sharing stories with other women in the Red Tent each month. Wow, wouldn't it be great to get a week off! You could have a book club in the tent, reading and discussing as you lounge around all week and some cocktails to boot. :) Boy now I'm excited to change a few traditions, maybe a bit late for me, but what about future gals! Should this go for a vote?