The Painted Veil The Painted Veil discussion

Book vs Movie

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alice Spoilers!

I confess I was disappointed when I read the book and Kitty and Walter didn't fall in love; I guess the movie appealed to the romantic part of me, and that was why I had picked up the book in the first place.

I loved the book's vivid, personal portrayals of peripheral figures like Dorothea and the Sister at the convent.

But the ending of Walter's character, I felt, was too abrupt. Walter never got a sense of peace or happiness. He died of a broken heart. I'm not sure if I like this melancholy depiction of his life, but I certainly pity his character far more in the book than in the movie. I feel like the movie dealt more with the love story (understandably to appeal to the audience) than with Kitty's character development.

Laurie I am one of the few people that enjoyed the book much more than the movie. I do totally agree with your assessment though, the ending in the movie was changed to appeal to the audience. I myself enjoyed reading about Kitty's growth and character development. I love Maugham's writing. He is one of my favorite authors and maybe I feel like it is a travesty to change his story to please an audience.

Charlene Morris I liked the book ending much more than the movie too. Kitty was so use to getting her own way. If Walter had forgiven her and loved her again, she would have just cheated on him again.

Maryann D'Agincourt I liked the book much much better than the movie as the novel reveals the complexity of Kitty's emotions. In Mrs. Craddock, another work by Maugham, the character of Bertha vaguely reminds me of Kitty. Though I think Kitty on the whole is a more interesting character and The Painted Veil a more compelling novel.

Have you read The Razor's Edge? That is my favorite Maugham work!

message 5: by M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M. I liked both the book and movie but for different reasons. The movie opened me up to reading the book. It was my first by Maugham and I was shocked how quickly I got through the book (within a weekend). I felt like I got a sense of Kitty's humanity. The movie was well done but it was obviously highly romanticized. Great discussion to start and thanks for the recommendation on Razor's Edge.

Maryann D'Agincourt Given your comments about The Painted Veil regarding Kitty's humanity, I think you will very much like The Razor's Edge. It is such a wonderful book! If you have a chance, let me know what you think of it.