Wilderness Survival Books discussion

Free Book Giveaways! > Free Book! Thirty Below by Harry Groome!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (last edited Jan 25, 2015 08:42PM) (new)

Jason | 22 comments Mod
We have 10 free PAPER copies of Thirty Below by author Harry Groome. To be considered for this drawing you need to do two things: 1) add this book to your Want To Read Shelf and 2) answer the following question below:

If you found yourself stranded in the rugged Alaskan backcountry wilderness in deep winter what 3 things would you want to have along with you?

When the 10 winners have been selected the author will contact them for mailing addresses. This giveaway expires on 2/1/15. Best of luck!

message 2: by S.M. (new)

S.M. Koz | 3 comments Thanks for the giveaway!

1. Matches
2. Gun and ammo
3. The warmest snowmobile suit made

message 3: by Askaline (new)

Askaline (kusmi) | 10 comments 1. Waterproof matches
2. Knife
3. A tarp full of goose down.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Bostic (chrisbostic) | 38 comments Mod
You guys, grrrr. First Ms Koz steals my top three. Then I get this idea I should change matches to waterproof only to have Michelle take that one.

So how about I get rid of matches and swap it out for a snow machine? I'm a scout. I can build fire without matches. Or at least I used to be able to :) it's been a while

message 5: by Chris (new)

How about a helicopter?

I'm a big outdoors guy, but not a fan of super cold weather. I was thinking my three could be base layers, more base layers, and a snowsuit that makes me look like a sumo wrestler.

message 6: by H.L. (new)

H.L. Miller | 11 comments 1. -40 F sleeping bag - a wiggy extreme
2. matches
3. roll of 22 gauge wire

message 7: by S.M. (new)

S.M. Koz | 3 comments Haha--I like the helicopter idea. I almost put snowmobile, but then thought you probably wouldn't be considered stranded if you had that!

message 8: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 10 comments 1.) Ka-Bar
2.) Sparker steel
3.) Can of beans

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason | 22 comments Mod
haha you guys crack me up. These are some great answers! I like the creativity. Keep it up!

I just wanted to let everyone know that this giveaway will be closed as of February 1st. So, if you are interested in a copy of this book, get in while the gettin's good!

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1 comments Hachet, rifle, dry tinder

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason | 22 comments Mod
Good call Angela! Because Alaska gets so much moisture I could see the dry tinder being super helpful!

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason | 22 comments Mod
Two more days until we do the final drawing to select our winners. Best of luck guys!

message 13: by Cheree (new)

Cheree Castellanos Edits (forloveofbooks4) | 1 comments Warmest snow soot and boots I can get my hands on
rifle and ammo & knife
flint

message 14: by Askaline (new)

Askaline (kusmi) | 10 comments Jason, you can remove me from the draw. I've bought and read the book.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason | 22 comments Mod
Thank you for letting us know Michelle. Wow, you are proactive! I look forward to reading your review!

message 16: by Askaline (new)

Askaline (kusmi) | 10 comments I will wait for the end of the draw + a few days before I do so to give others a chance to read it first.

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason | 22 comments Mod
That sounds like a great idea Michelle!

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason | 22 comments Mod
Thanks to all who participated in this giveaway. It appears that we may just have enough books for all who expressed interest. The author will be contacting you for your address. We look forward to reading your reviews!

message 19: by Kolea (new)

Kolea Ahloo | 1 comments Darn I'm a day late, but I don't mind sharing.

1. machete.
2. pot to boil water.
3. flint.

message 20: by Chris (new)

How's everyone doing on Thirty Below? I just finished the book yesterday, and posted a review moments ago.

Here's a link if you're curious about my thoughts:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

In short, kudos to Harry. I though it was a fabulous read. Really enjoyed it.

message 21: by Askaline (new)

Askaline (kusmi) | 10 comments I am glad you read it and liked it Chris. I waited for someone to write a first (preferably) positive review before I posted mine so as not to have a negative impact as my opinion is far from being as positive as yours.

message 22: by Chris (new)

I wouldn't worry about a negative impact. A review is a review. It's subjective, and most of us authors are just happy to get one. Three stars is a solid ranking, too. At least by Goodreads standards, it's an "I liked it." Liking is good.

I won't say there weren't a few things I would change. Pretty much every book is that way. Sometimes I have to suspend disbelief a little.

If anything, I wouldn't have minded if Thirty Below was longer. There were a couple jumps, a couple changes in mood, that I would like to have seen expanded on. Not to spoil, but like the going from hate to love.

message 23: by Askaline (new)

Askaline (kusmi) | 10 comments "There were a couple jumps, a couple changes in mood, that I would like to have seen expanded on."
I agree with you. Also, I would have liked to feel the bite of the wind, the hunger pangs, the joy at the sun rising a little higher each week ...This said, it has some great ideas and potential.

message 24: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 10 comments I just finished it. I'll post a review tomorrow after I ruminate on the text for awhile. I liked it, but it seemed like I was following a side kick rather than a hero.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Thirty Below (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Harry Groome (other topics)