The Lottery and Other Stories
This topic is about The Lottery and Other Stories
. Week 12: Short Stories > The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Summary:
The Lottery, one of the most terrifying stories written in this century, created a sensation when it was first published in The New Yorker. "Power and haunting," and "nights of unrest" were typical reader responses. This collection, the only one to appear during Shirley Jackson's lifetime, unites "The Lottery:" with twenty-four equally unusual stories. Together they demonstrate Jackson's remarkable range--from the hilarious to the truly horrible--and power as a storyteller.

Summary of The Lottery: "This is just a townful of people, after all, choosing their numbers for the annual lottery. What's there to be scared of?"

I decided to read The Lottery when someone I follow on Goodreads gave it a nice rating. I wanted to use it in the challenge and discovered there is a book of short stories with this one inside. The author wrote lots of horror stories which are not my usual readings, but I liked a lot some stories from Skeleton Crew by Stephen King, so I hope I'll enjoy this one too.

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Pereira (adrianacecilia) I've read The Lottery, it's a nice story but I found it a bit predictable... I blame the summary honestly, it doesn't give much away but it tells us that is terrifying. It spoils the surprise element that Shirley puts into the story.

I hope you like and I'll be waiting for your thoughts on it! :)

message 3: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I like The Lottery too! I read it in school, but didn't read the other short stories there. Enjoy!

message 4: by Yasmina (new) - added it

Yasmina | 74 comments Sounds interesting!

message 5: by Tina (last edited Feb 02, 2015 09:30AM) (new) - added it

Tina (tjlich) I'm reading it for week 25, a book I was supposed to read in school, but didn't. I'm going to read it, not with the other stories in the collection, but by itself, and I'm also going to read White Oleander for the same week. If the other stories are worth reading, it would be good to know. I'll check back after you've read them to see what you think.

Hope you enjoy them!

message 6: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
I started it before the week because my one word is boring and I'll need at least 2 weeks to read it.

The stories are definitively not scary, so I didn't find what I expected. However, I think the writing is good and help me to find some motivation to read them, because the subjects are really not my cup of tea. It's short stories about weird situations and awkward people.
I didn't reach The Lottery, so I hope it's better than the rest.

message 7: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
It was not my wisest choice in the challenge but it wasn't too difficult to finish the book and I appreciated the writing.
The Lottery was the most interesting story in the book and one of the few I enjoyed.