812 Reading Responses discussion

January Reading Responses > 1/23-1/25:Bookmark Choice

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Flagg (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 31 comments Mod
Choose a question from your bookmark that you understand and write a reading response.

Remember to make sure that your topic sentence:
-includes important text info
-restates the key words of the question
-contains your specific answer to the question

Please consult your rubric and models to ensure that you are doing your best work!

For a “4”: Did I….
• Write a topic sentence that provided the claim and important text information, such as the title, author, and genre of my text?
• Provide background of what is happening in the text so my reader understands what I’m talking about? Did I say what was happening at the time of the quote/evidence?
• Find evidence from the text that proves that the change was important?
• Paraphrase (This shows....) and then analyze how my quote proves my claim ("This proves that ____________________was an important moment because.../This interested me because..../I disliked this because..../This changed my point of view because.....)?
• Write a conclusion sentence that restates your claim in a different way?

message 2: by Sammy (new)

Sammy | 26 comments In Dan Gutman's historical non-fiction novel, Jackie & Me, what I disliked about the book was that the author used very offensive language. A boy named Joe Stoshack was invited to a baseball game, the Boston Braves at the Brooklyn Dodgers. When he was walking inside Ebbets Field, he was offered a job as a batboy by a kid in the trainer's room. Joe accepted the offer. After the kid led him to his locker and uniform, the kid mumbled the N word under his breath. Therefore, he states "I can't believe I have to work with a nigger." (47). This means that the boy is surprised that he is working with a black person and he offends Joe. This proves that this word is considered very offensive to black people and African-Americans. Overall, this book contains a lot of racism and it man offend people of different races. This book should be banned in some districts.

message 3: by Farhanali (new)

Farhanali | 35 comments In the book Evil Empress of China? by Sean Stewart Price a realistic fiction novel. what I found interesting while reading the book is that China wasn't always willing to sell their natural resources and was also not willing to make other countries to sell their product to their. For example it said "in 1839, the conflict became violent British traders had been smuggling opium."(25) This shows that since China didn't want to trade with other countries, countries decided to smuggle stuff into Chain and out of China. This proves that china wasn't always selling their products to other countries. Therefor China was a different country back then.

message 4: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Christina | 30 comments In Miles To Go by Miley Cyrus, Miley is trying to explain to her readers that no matter what, you have to go after your dreams even if your not sure they are not going to come true. Miley is a teenage singer/actress and she portrays Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus in the show, Hannah Montana. Miley basically experienced a if I give this up (cheerleading) and I don't make it (audition for Hannah Montana) moment. She didn't know for sure if she was going to get a callback and she was traveling a lot when she went to audition, her cheerleading coach said that if she missed that day of cheerleading then she was off the team but she really believed that she could get this part. Her mom just liked the fact that Miley believed in herself especially since Miley didn't want to stay being bullied in school. Miley's mom was tired of the traveling back and forth and changing their minds every time she came in for an audition. Miley states " We should try at least" (56) This shows that Miley was willing to try and accomplish a goal that she believed that she could accomplish. This proves that Miley is determined and a risk taker. It's like she knows when she's going to get something because if she didn't go to that audition and chose cheerleading over auditioning to be a actress/singer on Hannah Montana then I don't know what she would be doing. Overall, Miley is showing her readers to not give up on their dreams.