I love Alpha Male books club discussion

All about our books > The bitch stops here!!! please help

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SB*needs low angst books* (last edited Jan 24, 2015 12:29PM) (new)

SB*needs low angst books* | 602 comments Okay, I love the book Breathe by Kristen Ashley. I mean love it. Alpha male who is hot and protective and a heroine who is not a bitch. Sweet, smart, and can be strong without it being bitchy or ignorant. Can anyone please suggest books with a heroine like this she can be shy, sweet, vulnerable, or a damsel in distress. What she cannot be is a bitch please!!! Thank you for your assistance:) PS please no YA.

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 165 comments Archer's Voice (A Sign of Love) by Mia Sheridan ...good heroine ..even greater hero

Deacon (Unfinished Hero, #4) by Kristen Ashley

message 3: by beth (new)

beth myrick (bethmyrick) | 87 comments Most Kristin Ashley heroines are good. Lynda Chance also writes a good female lead, but stay away from RULE'S PROPERTY.

usually I don't mind a bitchy moment, especially if it is deserved or warranted, but I cannot stand a flat out bitch that I'm supposed to support a male lead having an HEA with. Sometimes they the writer tries to make this seem like the character is funny, witty, strong....whatever.....but it fails so bad we are left trying to connect to a woman I would probably end up decking. Then the whole book is a waste of my time because the writer will wait too long to change her damn attitude, but it's too late.

Good bitchy moments for me.....when they turn that particular trait on when confronting an evil ex trying to break them up or mean girls. Instead we usually get most of a book with a bitchy heroine directing it toward the male lead rather than the evil ex and he gets the brunt of the bitch we are supposed to being rooting for. I spend a lot of time searching out new female leads for the male lead in the secondary characters because the female lead just doesn't cut it for me. That's when a consider the book a failure. The books are way too short to try to get to connect with the characters as individuals and then couples. And to be a bitch to protect your heart, or the character, or your too insecure over and over.....well then BITCH if that's how you want to act, then the hero needs to move the hell on. The epic fail is when the hero actually falls for the bitch..why didn't he just stay with the evil ex or continue being a manwhore. I would have supported that decision a lot more that falling for an over dramatic bitchy shrew. If the book is spent with the female being hateful, judgemental, yelling, screaming, hitting, calling names, etc., then you can damn well bet I will not be pulling for this couple's HEA, and my review will reflect that of the bitchy female. DON'T TRY TO SELL ME A BITCH TO GO WITH THE HERO.

Well, I must have had a little something to get off my chest this Saturday morning. I could go on and on and on about female leads we are being asked to like that are so NOT likeable or even tolerable. However, don't despair. There are some good female leads that I'll have to troll my kindle for, but I'll comprise a decent list for you to get started with.

SB*needs low angst books* | 602 comments beth myrick wrote: "Most Kristin Ashley heroines are good. Lynda Chance also writes a good female lead, but stay away from RULE'S PROPERTY.

usually I don't mind a bitchy moment, especially if it is deserved or warra..."

Thank you so much. You expressed a lot of how I feel. I hate when a woman is supposedly strong but in reality is a bitch. I don't have bitchy friends in real life so why would I want to read about her. I really like when a woman can be strong and know her worth and still give the man what he needs to be a man. I hate when they act like oh I am not going to listen to your good sense just because I can handle it but then put herself in danger just to be stubborn about being independent. Good grief grow the hell up. Being independent doesn't mean you have to be nasty or brave. It means you can handle what comes at you maturely and get help when needed. Getting help doesn't make you less. I may just be old fashioned but I like a strong woman to have good sense and character. I don't mind a woman who is insecure because we all have them but I don't want her to stand in her own way by her behavior either. I don't mind shy cause they can have strength. What I don't like is false bravado. I am so strong but inside I am afraid. Boo freaking hoo. Maybe if you got off you I am an independent woman soap box you could figure some things out. There is a fine line between strong and stupid. I just feel like a lot of woman now are proud to be a bitch and it annoys me. I just want a woman who is okay being herself without being mean and difficult to other people due to either hurts in your past or because you think it is funny or cute. If you make other people pay for the mistakes of other, the person who hurt you won. You have to acknowledge your mistakes be careful with yourself but also learn from it and not let it get in the way. That is a strong woman!!! Well I guess I had the same problem. Had to get that off my chest :)

Paganalexandria  | 118 comments Do you like biker reads? If so Under Locke by Mariana Zapata sounds like something you'd like.

message 6: by SB*needs low angst books* (last edited Jan 24, 2015 12:35PM) (new)

SB*needs low angst books* | 602 comments Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** wrote: "Do you like biker reads? If so Under Locke by Mariana Zapata sounds like something you'd like."

Wow yes I have that one very good. I do like biker, mobster, mma, erotic, historical and paranormal too. Pretty much open to any thing with a good story except YA. Not as much of a fan of it. So any others you have in different genre I am open to. Thanks.

message 7: by beth (new)

beth myrick (bethmyrick) | 87 comments I love a good BITCH BASHING fest. Seriously you are so right. I do not have friends who are bitches. We can be snarky, sarcastic, silly, teasing, witty, charming....and if the moment warrants it, bitchy. We don't act judgemental or say cruel shit to push people away because we've had some sort of tragedy. Case in point.....I had a high school relationship that went way bad as well as a few college flings that didn't result in a HEA, but I was never a crazy bitch that closed myself off because BF one was a jackass. I would have had a seriously disappointing college experience if I would have let high school BS dictate the direction of my future romances. Same thing with my college romances, so they weren't the one. Did I let a little broken heart caused by the football player I dated second semester cause me to become a jock hating, judgemental, hateful, closed off bitch....well hell no.....I found me a basketball player. He graduated and I didn't. Back to the football team. We had fun and the breakup was sad...but I didn't let my life end with these men. They didn't have that much power over me. I'm the one with power over me. Oh yeah, my heart hurt a moment. I cried a few tears. I drank a lot of beers. I cussed a whole Hell of a lot. I might have even been a little evil on one...no two...ok SEVERAL occasions, but who doesn't.

Then one day after I had graduated college, began my teaching career, and began my life as a mature, professional, independent woman.....I fell in love. He was all kinds of wrong for me. BAD BOY doesn't even come close. He passed that label when he was 13. I was a teacher dating another teacher. We were taking on the world of education with a vengeance. Perfect couple, right? My family damn sure thought so. His family did too. Our students thought we were disgustingly sweet. This should have been our HEA. Until the fateful night I answered my cousins phone, it was a wrong number, I was drunk, he was calling what he thought was going to be a hookup because his wife and daughter were out of town...yes you read that right...and we talked all night. The next day we met, love at first sight, and together every day from then on. He divorced his wife. I broke up with the perfect match. We married and had a child ten years later. Then he died eight years later. Thought I would die too, but I had a child. I have him with me every single day. I have the perfect part of him in my daughter. Three years later, yeah I'm really happy to say I've found a different love today.....and I wasn't ever bitter, broken, or bitchy.

So why may I ask are we being fed female characters who don't want, can't handle, too bitter, too damaged, to broken, too stubborn, too untrusting, too vulnerable, or too insecure to live or love? It's like the romance theme has become a how to genre of how to heal broken people. Hey, happy normal people fall in love every day. People who have had some heart break (like me) fall in love every day, and whatyaknow we manage to do it gracefully without a taming of the the shrew remake. To me it seems most writers are trying to pedal characters who could really benefit from some psychiatric intervention rather than a relationship with hot sex so that she's all of a sudden cured from SCBS (stupid crazy bitch syndrome).

SB*needs low angst books* | 602 comments beth myrick wrote: "I love a good BITCH BASHING fest. Seriously you are so right. I do not have friends who are bitches. We can be snarky, sarcastic, silly, teasing, witty, charming....and if the moment warrants it..."

Oh yeah. I personally had a mother who could male bash due to her issues with my dad. So I could have let her influence make me bitter even before my own dating life began. My dad didn't help my insecurities either. I just knew early every person is different and to take them as they come. I may not agree with everything people say or do but I know it is things they have to live with not me. I know broken people who are still brave enough to love. I don't mind broken but please be brave enough to accept better when it comes. People have to prove they are worthy but at least be open enough to let them. You never know unless you try. Life is about choice and trying.

I love sarcasm. It can be hilarious unless it is used cruelly. I love a good bitchy moment when needed but not live in it. I have had some hurts and even bullying but never let that make me bitter or let them take my happiness away. The old saying is true, misery loves company.

SB*needs low angst books* | 602 comments Ruth wrote: "Archer's Voice (A Sign of Love) by Mia Sheridan...good heroine ..even greater hero

Deacon (Unfinished Hero, #4) by Kristen Ashley"

I have Deacon. I liked it. I will have to check out Archer voice.

Paganalexandria  | 118 comments It's funny because I'm all those things. I definitely fall closer to the bitch side of the spectrum than "nice girl." This doesn't mean I'm mean or evil, just have such a low tolerance for other people's BS. I like knowing when I do something sweet or kind, it comes from genuine place. Not because I "have to", or guilt. I don't go out of my way to hurt people, just see little point in being fake nicey nice to people who don't like me, and aren't on my Christmas list either. That gets labeled bitchy, but I think it's more honest. I would much rather someone tell me they can't stand me, than pretend to be my friend, and talk about me behind my back like so many of the "nice girls" do. I like sweet, and kind, but run screaming from nice girls.

message 11: by beth (new)

beth myrick (bethmyrick) | 87 comments Exactly. Well said. If I would have let my high school experience influence me the way some characters are written....hell I might have become a man hater, but no can do because I love men. I could have let him and my college experience turn me off athletes, but again, I love sports and athletes. I could have curled up and died right along with my husband...but I didn't. I had to live for me and my daughter. I had to learn to love and be loved again, or my daughter would learn only how to give up, deny yourself happiness, stop living, and stop embracing everything life has to offer. My husband and I loved hard, feirce, totally, and deeply. Our life was our life wholly. I realized, in a brutal way, that there was never a he or me. We were US. No line between. Our daughter, as much as we loved her, never penetrated US. Without him I had to learn to love her it seems in a complete different way. I had to love her in a way that represented the best parts of her father and me so that she would always know how much he and I loved each other. The devotion and total bond he and I shared, I turned on her. Still I had to also teach her that our lives did not end with his death. I found a new love, and though it's not the same all consuming love that I shared with my husband, it is real, passionate, comforting, and loyal. He's not my bad boy, and God knows I miss my bad boy every day, but he is what I need every day to keep my passion for living life to the fullest for whatever time I have left on this earth alive. I never ever wanted to live a day in the world without my husband, but neither do I want to live a day in the world without feeling....everything....that this life has to offer.

SB*needs low angst books* | 602 comments Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** wrote: "It's funny because I'm all those things. I definitely fall closer to the bitch side of the spectrum than "nice girl." This doesn't mean I'm mean or evil, just have such a low tolerance for other pe..."

I really like someone who doesn't tolerate BS for sure. I understand what you mean but I had people who thought I was a nice girl so they assumed they could use me or that I wouldn't be honest. See when I say bitchy I mean women who think they can look down on others. Who think that what they say is right period and if you don't agree you are and weak. Who feel that they shit don't stink to be honest. I don't want fake. I want real. I was someone that someone people thought was fake because I was nice. See how we perceive nice girls. Nice girls fake and are full of BS or weak. I can say I like honest woman who tolerates no BS but I would say I don't want the negative bitter bitch that looks down on me because I don't live her to standards or that she thinks low of me. That to me is a bitch. Again I am sarcastic and love a good joke. But I don't have to look down my nose at you because your views are different than mine. Let me give an example. I had an associate at work who would talk about getting a divorce and how she wasn't gonna put up with stuff her husband did and was just bitter attitude all around. One day she told me and another CO worker that she and her husband were going into business together the same man she has issues in her marriage with. Now she tell us all the time she don't tolerate BS and she all about the truth so I told her I thought didn't think it was a good idea because they can't communicate or comprise in a marriage then why would a business relationship work. She got mad but she supposedly wanted the truth. Those are the type of women I mean. I like Eve Dallas from the in death series by J D Robb. She can be a bitch but she doesn't know girly things and that is cool but just cause she doesn't like or understand she can still respect. I like that she has her beliefs but doesn't push them on others. She is bad ass but she can be kind and empathic. So there is a different in being a bitch and having bitchy moments when needed.

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shannonvm) Sbyrd64 wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Archer's Voice (A Sign of Love) by Mia Sheridan...good heroine ..even greater hero

Deacon (Unfinished Hero, #4) by Kristen Ashley"

I have Deacon. I liked it. I will have to check out Archer voice."

Archer's Voice is AMAZING! It was the last book I read in 2014, it had been on my Kindle for months, and I could have kicked myself for waiting so long to read it!

message 14: by beth (new)

beth myrick (bethmyrick) | 87 comments I'm all for being real. I'm all for being honest. I'm all for being nice, and until you aren't nice to me....Then meet my bitch. I was married in a t-shirt that said 'I'm not a bitch, I'm the bitch, and that's Ms. Bitch to you'. No lie here. My husband recognized my bitch side early on, but it's never TURNED ON unless there is good reason. In these books we're reading we have this chick who acts like a raving bitch because an ex cheated, a boyfriend died, she was bullied, a sibling died, she didn't feel loved....so she projects her issues on everyone she comes in contact with....and everyone just magically loves her because she's so beautiful. BULL SHIT. How many readers can actually get on board with someone who acts like that. Some guy who has a rep pays attention to her and she turns on bitch mode so fast the book turns on it's end. Can't stand that crap. Guys don't fall for that shit. How many books have been written where a guy simply ask a girl out and she goes full on bitch telling him she knows what he wants and I'm not going to be your next notch or I would never sleep with someone like you....pretty much I'm done with the chick then. I'm so looking forward to the guy who tells the chick in this instance, unless you're a card carrying member of the V club, then you need to shut the hell up. That would just light up my reading light.

message 15: by Paganalexandria (last edited Jan 24, 2015 03:37PM) (new)

Paganalexandria  | 118 comments @ Sbyrd64 and beth now I see where your coming from. You don't like petty, and selfish behavior in your heroine. You're not against strength in female character. But don't get it twisted, men love bitches. They say they don't. But in real life I seen many men crap all over a good woman, to lick the boot of the most evilest pretty bitch. lol But those usually aren't the bitches that show up as romance heroines. They are usually the ex-girlfriend that sometimes I actually find a better match for the man-whore hero with a wicked whore/madonna complex...but that's another topic. lol

I myself hate whiny, victim-y heroines. I don't mind them going through some life issues, and working through problems. I just think like you guys, that doesn't give a her the right to take it out on everyone around them. One of my own life mantras, "Your reasons for you f-d up behavior, only matter in court. In real life people don't care why you hurt them, they just remember the hurt. Once grown it's your responsibility to work on your ish."

message 16: by MissS (new)

MissS (stane04) | 21 comments You're the only one who can understand me,so bear with me :D I'm with you ladies about sarcasm,I use it,and I think it's witty and funny,just some special quirk ppl have. So pls don't make excuses for being a bitch.
Also,I HATE it when heroine forgives him so fast/easy. It's not naturally,you need time to be angry,to process things,to deal with things,not to be like "oh,but he's sweet now". URGH! I liked Stylo's Fantome Separation because h dealt with things (In her own way,but still),you can see actual character growth trough the books.
The problem in the book,that made write this. I'm generally nice person,I don't judge,always willing to hear another side of the story then react etc. But if he called me another girl's name,while we are 'together',no one could redeem him. He would need to beg,hell even walk on freaking lava,and then I maybe consider talking to him. Some lines you just do not cross! And yet this h,on the next page is in bed with him.
URGH! Come on,who would do that? Maybe I'm just too awful when you cross the line...

SB*needs low angst books* | 602 comments @paganalexandria, trust me I know that men like bitches the same way women like the a$$hole and man whore. Some people just love that. No judgement and I can read some of that but too much is annoying. I don't like whiny I am the victim heroines either. I feel like if you messed up then acknowledge and move on. I don't care if you had to get help to do it as long as you grow from it. Asking for help is not weak. I hate when it is portrayed that way. If I have a bad day I may call or go out with my girls to unloaded so I can move on. They help me get over it. Why is help weak?

SB*needs low angst books* | 602 comments Dragana wrote: "You're the only one who can understand me,so bear with me :D I'm with you ladies about sarcasm,I use it,and I think it's witty and funny,just some special quirk ppl have. So pls don't make excuses ..."

I totally understand where you are coming from when you call me by some other chicks name. That deserves an ass kicking for sure and not something I could get over easily. When it comes to forgiveness, that is tricky. I can forgive quickly if properly and honestly explained and I am okay with you reasoning for why you did or didn't do something. I can maybe move past it quickly but some things I may hold a grudge longer depending on what it is. It is all about the problem. I will say I hate the miscommunication or overhead crap. I mean really be an adult and deal with it. I think that maybe why I don't like some young adult reads. Too much drama sometimes just because they don't know how to deal. Annoying!!!

message 19: by beth (new)

beth myrick (bethmyrick) | 87 comments Sarcastic banter. Teasing remarks. Witty humor. Funny light banter. These are ways you draw out personality of other people. Yes, I can totally agree that a guy can find the inner bitch of a woman sexy. That bitch in novels needs to show up when the situation warrants, i.e. encounters with the evil ex girlfriend or other mean girl characters. That's when a guy is going to find the bitch side of a woman sexy. When you're fighting for yourself or your relationship. Case in point....I went bitch on my husband's wife, called her out on some shit happening with custody of their daughter, and he flat out yelled in her front yard...god damn, I love you woman. Never forget it. He loved that I had bitch enough to fight for us when I could have pulled a stupid moment and walked away. That is the kind of bitch that is sexy. Being a bitch because he happens to have had a life before he talked to you...that's just ridiculous bitchiness. It's petty. It's stupid. And pinning the sins of one person on another because you're chicken shit so you get hateful....that is just contrived drama that doesn't add to a story...hell it stalls it.

Now if guy cheats or does something equally stupid, by all means go full on bitch...but I prefer doing it with dignity....kind of. bitches can be evil. Revenge is a bitches best tool. That being said....I don't condone or want to read about getting even by the girl deciding to sleep around herself....that is not sexy and turns out degrading. Puts her right in the place of girls he's been screwing around with. If female lead acts like all the others than why write a story. Female lead needs to stand out from the others, and not just because she's ridiculously beautiful. Not because she's playing hard to get. Create a genuine person for readers to relate to and connect with. I also don't think a cheating issue should be resolved in the next chapter, but if it's going to be resolved don't drag it out for the whole book. There is such a trick in getting a book with cheating to work. If the writer doesn't feel confident enough to pull it off then leave it out and go for something else to provide conflict. It's way to easy to shoot yourself in the foot, and your book will limp along to an ending that is more likely a disappointment.

SB*needs low angst books* | 602 comments @Beth, Dignity is the key word. I like a woman who is so strong that she can cut you down without getting loud or cussing you out. Like at the job, I see some woman that don't want to follow the rules and say out loud to any one around that they manager ain't going to tell them what to do. Sometimes in hearing distant of said manager. Are you serious?? You can do whatever you want bitch! Then be pissed and surprised when they get fired. That is what I mean. That is why Eve Dallas is one of my favorite book heroines that have some bitch in her. She grows and opens up and recognizes when she is dead wrong. That is a woman I can respect. Her husband Roarke helps too lol.

message 21: by Gem (new)

Gem Larkspur (gemsl) | 61 comments @Sbryd64. I totally agree about Eve Dallas in JD Robb's 'In Death Series.'

Do you like historical romances? This one has a strong, non-bitchy but heroine with a sly sense of humor. The Lion's Lady (Crown's Spies, #1) by Julie Garwood .

SB*needs low angst books* | 602 comments @Gem, yes and I have read some Julie Garwood but will have to try that one. Never read it. I have read Honours Splendor, The bride, the secret, the prize, gentle warrior and rebellious desire.

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth | 5 comments Jamie Begley's books Razer's Ride and Shade's Fall in the Last Rider's series are great heroines, they are nice and are not bitches but this is about a motorcycle club so if you dont like those type of books you may find that off putting but it isn't the typical motorcycle club.

SB*needs low angst books* | 602 comments Beth wrote: "Jamie Begley's books Razer's Ride and Shade's Fall in the Last Rider's series are great heroines, they are nice and are not bitches but this is about a motorcycle club so if you dont like those typ..."

I will have to try. I like biker books. The only types of book I have a hard time with or don't like is young adult and some new adult. The characters come off too immature to me.

message 25: by Anne (new)

Anne Gem wrote: "@Sbryd64. I totally agree about Eve Dallas in JD Robb's 'In Death Series.'

Do you like historical romances? This one has a strong, non-bitchy but heroine with a sly sense of humor.[bookcover:Th..."

The Lion's Lady is one of my all time favorites. It's so original and has some very funny moments that had me laughing out loud. I've probably reread it 4 or 5 times and enjoy it everytime.

message 26: by Gem (last edited Jan 26, 2015 04:34PM) (new)

Gem Larkspur (gemsl) | 61 comments Anne wrote: "Gem wrote: "@Sbryd64. I totally agree about Eve Dallas in JD Robb's 'In Death Series.'

Do you like historical romances? This one has a strong, non-bitchy but heroine with a sly sense of humor.[..."

I've read most of Julie Garwood, but The Lion's Lady remains my favorite. Jayne Anne Krentz is good for contemporary heroines who don't get pushed around but aren't bitchy. She also writes historical romance with a decent heat factor under Amanda Quick. Under both names, her stories and heroines have that nice humorous thread.

message 27: by Gem (new)

Gem Larkspur (gemsl) | 61 comments Also (full disclosure, I'm plugging a friend) - Romantic Sci-fi with great alpha male and strong but not bitchy heroine, The Cartel: The Apprentice, Volume 1 and Bright Star: The Apprentice, Volume 2. I should note these have a higher erotic/explicit content than the others I've recommended.

Paganalexandria  | 118 comments I used to love Julie Garwood books to death. She really had a knack for creating the sweetest, plucky, and beautiful women that still felt human. Sometimes characters are too good to be believable. Her heroines always charmed even my cold heart. Hated that she stopped writing historical romance. lol

SB*needs low angst books* | 602 comments Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** wrote: "I used to love Julie Garwood books to death. She really had a knack for creating the sweetest, plucky, and beautiful women that still felt human. Sometimes characters are too good to be believable...."

I love it, charmed even your cold heart lol. I know what you mean though. Her heroines are great.