Golden Son (Red Rising Saga, #2) Golden Son discussion

Casting for the (hopefully) coming movie series

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (last edited Jan 24, 2015 01:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob I finished the audiobook today and... Just... Wow. I haven't been able to sleep, thinking about the books and then thinking about who would play whom in a movie adaptation.

I haven't gotten everyone by a long shot but here's my start (forgive spelling of character names since I listened to both as audiobooks):

Darrow as a Red: Rupert Grint
Eo: Karen Gillan
Darrow's mother: Christina Hendricks
Lorne: Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mustang: Jennifer Lawrence
The Sovereign: Glenn Close or Helen Mirren
Fitchner: Liam Neeson
Aja: Halle Berry
Pax al Telemanus: Chris Evans
Severo: Arthur Darville
Dancer: Russell Crowe
Arch Governor: Benedict Cumberbatch
Mickey: DJ Qualls

Ragnar: Michael Clark Duncan, if only he were still around.

Others?

message 2: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob I'll bet Jodie Foster could do a good Octavia, as well.

message 3: by Den (new) - rated it 5 stars

Den for me Darrow will always be the Pierce himself :)) not sure about the others, but I really want Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Sevro. Also Natalie Dormer as Victra would be great. But yea, whoever they cast I'm sure they'll be awesome. Can't wait for this movie!!

Silea PB is on the record as preferring unknown actors for the roles, rather than bringing in A-List celebrities and all the back catalogue they entail.

message 5: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob That's probably the best idea but I still find it fun to think about who might play the parts, given an unlimited budget. :)

I did always envision Jennifer Lawrence as Mustang when listening to the story.

Janis I think Russell Crowe would be great as Lorn. Lorn reminded me of Maximus in Gladiator who wanted nothing more than to get home to his family, the warrior tired of war.

And in that same vein, Ralf Moeller as one of the Telemanuses, probably Kavax.

Angelina Jolie as Octavia au Lune.

Grace Jones as Aja.

Heath Ledger would have made a wonderful Darrow; dangerous and vulnerable all at once.

message 7: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob I love the Heath Ledger casting! I think Grace Jones would be an excellent choice is we could time travel about 20 years in the past, unfortunately. Agreed on Angelina.

Leela JLaw as Mustang- YESSS!

Also, I kinda picture Ryan Kelley or Daniel Sharman as Gold Darrow. (Teen Wolf anyone?)

message 9: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob I really couldn't think of someone for Gold Darrow. Probably because I'm old and decrepit and I'm totally unfamiliar with these young stars you kids watch now. :)

message 10: by Louis (new) - added it

Louis Alexandra Daddario as Victra
Hayden Panettiere for Mustang?

Kendra I actually really like the Russell Crowe/Lorn/Maximus angle.

As soon as I read Alexandra Daddario's name, Mustang immediately came to mind! She fits so perfectly with the image I had of Mustang in my head. Plus, Victra is ten years older than she and Darrow, so Alexandra is too young-looking for the role.

I would say Jason Isaacs or Lee Pace would be perfect for Nero. As they have shown with Lucius Malfoy and Thranduil, they can both pull off that Gold arrogance and superiority amazingly. (And then we would get to see way more of them in the second movie!)

My vote for Fitchner would be Sean Bean.

He might be a bit too old, but Jai Courtney would make a good Pax, I think.

Mark Sheppard (Badger from Firefly) has always been in my head when I envision Mickey. For some reason, Mickey has a British accent in my head.

message 12: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob Sean Bean as Fitchner would be especially appropriate. (Not giving any more than that as it would be a spoiler.)

Kendra Hahaha I wasn't going to say anything!

message 14: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Alexander Ludwig (Bjorn of "The Vikings") as Darrow
Katheryn Winnick (Lagetha of "The Vikings") as Mustang
Travis Fimmel (Ragnar of "The Vikings") as Fitchner
Thorbjørn Harr (Jarl Borg of "The Vikings") as Arch Governor Augustus
Chris Hemsworth (Thor) as any of the Proctors....Jupiter or Apollo?
Idris Elba - Ragnar
Edvin Endre (Eriendur Horick of "The Vikings")- Sevro
Jack Gleeson (Joeffery from GoT) - The Jackal
Emma Watson - Quinn
Emma Stone - Antonia
Anton Yelchin - Cassius
Nicholas Hoult - Tactus

Kendra John wrote: "Alexander Ludwig (Bjorn of "The Vikings") as Darrow
Thorbjørn Harr (Jarl Borg of "The Viki..."

Lol I'm guessing you really like the show 'Vikings'? :)
Katheryn Winnick, pretty as she is, is too old to play Mustang, I think.
I like Alexander Ludwig though. I'm now flip-flopping between wanting him as Gold Darrow or Titus. At the moment, Gold Darrow wins!

Kendra Kendra wrote: "John wrote: "Alexander Ludwig (Bjorn of "The Vikings") as Darrow
Thorbjørn Harr (Jarl Borg..."

Ooh ooh! I could totally see Katheryn Winnick as Victra!

message 17: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Haha...well, I don't watch a lot of TV! The shows I do watch may come through in my recommendations.

How about Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Jojen Reed from GoT) as Roque

Kendra I could see him more as Sevro. I think he could pull it off well. He's scrawny (sorry Thomas!) and looks like he could play the low-class-not-an-admired-physical-specimen-and-angry-about-it Gold well. I see his Sevro having a cockney accent as opposed to the upper crust British accent the other Golds would have.

What do you think about Kevin Zergers for Cassius?

message 19: by Bloom (last edited Apr 15, 2015 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bloom Brenton Thwaites as Darrow! I think he would be brilliant playing both Red Darrow and Gold Darrow. He'd be able to do the transition really well.

Jeremy Irons as Nero au Augustus. His real son, Max Irons, could play Claudius!

And for some reason, I could only picture a fierce version of young Goob from Meet The Robinsons for Sevro hahaha

Honestly, I just wish they'll cast relatively unknown actors for the movie. It wouldn't be fun if they just recycle people who've acted in movies like The Hunger Games.

message 20: by Akherousia (last edited Apr 15, 2015 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Akherousia Darrow is supposed to be attractive even as a red, so no. Rupert grint will it not be. Fitchner is supposed to be terribly ugly. You telling me that you think the dude who is still a heart throb in his 60's is going to fit the role? LOL.

Logan Lerman should play Darrow, the rest of the actors or who'll pay the roles don't matter to me.. but I gotta say that you want dancer(a guy who is clearly gay and feminine-looking) to be played by the same buff/masculine guy who was the Gladiator, Cinderella man, Robin Hood, and so on?

Hey, why don't we have that ginger girl from harry potter to play the role of darrow? We can have Angelina's Jolie's dad who is in his 70's or in his 80's to be cassius?

Since you just pick-up names at random and throw them at the roles LOL.

''message 14: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars''

Dude you are over-thinking it. Just pick everyone of relevance from the vikings show and put them in the red rising!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I honestly have no one in mind for Darrow. Alexander Ludwig...maybe.

The only casting I can say I'm sure would be perfect is Natalie Dormer for Victra au Julii.

message 22: by Solemn (last edited May 21, 2015 09:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Solemn Norman Reedus as sevro. Dye that fuckers hair and throw em in there, dude already cleans possums on his porch and shit.