2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2015 > Diana's 40 book challenge

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments I'm on my third book But so far I've finished off two that were started last year. James and the giant peach I read to the children at school, and I'm still with you has been on my TBR shelf for quite a while, it was a very interesting book written by a medium about her work helping people connect with loved ones who had passed. I'm now on a Lynn Andrews book to love and to cherish, I always find Lynn's books enjoyable easy reads. The goal is to read as many as I can without adding to many to the house during the year, but I get quite a few from car boot sales and charity shops as well as the book circle at school passing books they think ill enjoy my way. Also my mum is an avid reader and often passes her read books on to me. I think as long as I enjoy the books I read and there are slightly fewer in the house by the end of the year I'll be happy. Some books are just keepers no matter what but if I know I won't read it again I've learned tube happier to let books go to be read and enjoyed by other with the plan to free the space for others to arrive in the house rather than jus trying to keep them all.

message 2: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Good luck with your challenge, Diana! I know how it with having too many books in the house. I get most of my books cheaply at garage sales or charity thrift shops - the prices are too good to pass up! The problem is where to store them.

I've learned to be pretty ruthless with giving books away to clear space. When the shelves start getting packed, I ask myself, "Was this book amazing and did it change my perspective about something in a meaningful way?" and if the answer is no, it goes in the box.

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments The lynn Andrews one is already in a bag to pass on to my mum, while i enjoy Lynn's books i dont feel the need to hang on to them or reread them.
thank you for your comment.

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments Read Carole Matthews it's a kind of magic, enjoyed that an easy read, set in the modern day but with the added twist of a fairy who added magic and mayhem to the lives of those she came across.

Started no going back by Lynda page, I've read one of Lynda's books before, they describe the Leicester area so well and this one has just pulled me straight in, Judith chambers is the only daughter of a successful business man but has never known love or even fondness from either of her parents, she works in the family leather business, the first chapters have dealt with her being raped by a business man and ended up in a home for fallen women and having the baby put up for forced adoption, she then returned to the family home vowing to never let anyone else hurt her the way that did, her parents never knew what happened, the character comes across as hard and strict but with her upbringing how could you turn out any other way? I'm less than a quarter way in but can't wait to carry on with it.
Ironically I picked this copy up for penny's at the local car boot and have had it on my TBR shelf a while it wasn't till I picked iit out yesterday I realised its been signed by the author herself.

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments Finished no going back, really enjoyed it. Have got spellbound by Jane green off the TBR shelf to read next.

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments Finished spellbound, was ok but thankfully not a keeper so that's on the pile to give my mum at the weekend.
Read and have already passed on the battle for christabel by Margaret Forster, I really enjoyed that and its gone to the book circle at school.
I've just started larger than life which has been on the TBR shelf forever! So far so good I'm getting throug it quite quickly as it's an easy read.

Two books have found three way into the house both were wins, the ice twins which sounds brilliant and ignoring gravity which was from a good reads draw I'm looking forward to reading both of those soon.

message 7: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments Just read the world according to Joan, by Joan Collins. An enjoyable and quick read, I found myself agreeing with a lot of Joan's opinions.

Picked carol rivers lily of love lane which my mum gave me off the TBR shelf next. Is it bad that I'm reading books I'm pretty sure I'll be happy to give away instead of some I've really been looking forward to but think I'll want to keep?

In fairness to my system I haven't been disappointed with any books I've read this year and there are still some that won't fit on the shelves so by reading and passing on I am making more room on the shelves.