What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Outcast (Outcast Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Outcast
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA sci fi dystopia, boy called Fish living outside a city of people with chips in their heads, pretends to be one of them to rescue a girl whose chip has been stolen [s]

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meka (new)

Meka | 9 comments I read this book in the 1990s from a library. It is the first in a series
A pale skinny boy living in a poor place with a darker skinned family who adopted him. I think they lived in tents. He looks like the people who live in a scientifically advanced city and who have chips in their heads. Instead of learning they just use the chips and upgrade when they can afford it.
He and his brothers are forced to go work in the city when they reach a certain age, (street cleaning and so on) as do all the young adults of his people, and they live outside of it. At some point he pretends to be a city dweller so he can rescue a girl whose chip has been stolen and who therefore has the brain of a baby. He rescues her by hiding below the pier she is to be thrown off of, where she would otherwise drown.

message 2: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1355 comments LMAO - I read that as 'a fishing village where people have chips in their head'... Like fish and chips! Gotta say, couldn't figure out how the author had worked that one in 

message 3: by Meka (new)

Meka | 9 comments That's one of the reasons I can't find it - google keeps bringing up cook books!!

message 4: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1355 comments Lol

message 5: by Kris (last edited Mar 17, 2015 08:12AM) (new)

Kris | 34449 comments Mod
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer turned up while searching, but it doesn't seem to match enough of your description.

One reviewer on Amazon says, "The book is based about a hundred years in the future in a small country named Opium. The county falls between the United States and Aztlan or what was Mexico. This country is very wealthy and regulates drugs to Asia, Africa, and other continents. It is also used as border control for the United States and Altzan. It captures hundreds of people a week and turns them into Eijits or zombies. The border control plants computer chips in the brains of the runaways and then they work until told to rest"

message 6: by Meka (new)

Meka | 9 comments No that's definitely not it. Thanks for trying though!

message 7: by Joel (new)

Joel Keohane | 3 comments I really hope you someone can help with this, i've been looking for it for years and have never been able to remember much more then that. Would love to find it again too

message 8: by Meka (new)

Meka | 9 comments You are the second person I've found who is also looking for that book! Are you a kiwi? My sister has a theory that it is a NZ book.

message 9: by Tab (last edited Jun 15, 2015 08:54AM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments I found this book on the National Library of New Zealand website.

"The doomsday experiment" by Margaret Rogers
http://nzlc.natlib.govt.nz/vwebv/hold...

I can't seem to find anything else about the book.
Do you remember anything about the cover?

message 10: by Joel (new)

Joel Keohane | 3 comments Meka wrote: "You are the second person I've found who is also looking for that book! Are you a kiwi? My sister has a theory that it is a NZ book."

I'm aussie actually lol. Would love to find it again but it's been so many years

message 11: by Meka (last edited Jun 16, 2015 06:39AM) (new)

Meka | 9 comments Tab wrote: "I found this book on the National Library of New Zealand website.

"The doomsday experiment" by Margaret Rogers
http://nzlc.natlib.govt.nz/vwebv/hold...

I can't seem to find any..."

Not really. I think it might have been called outlanders or something but I'm really not sure. It wasn't that one but they do have a bit in common!

message 12: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Davidson | 9 comments I'm a kiwi and i remember reading something like this a while ago, can't remember anything more though

message 13: by Laina (new)

Laina SpareTime | 94 comments I listened to it as an audiobook MANY years ago so I don't remember it very well, but possibly Feed?

message 14: by Meka (new)

Meka | 9 comments Nope. There is no internet or internet-style thing in my book. Thanks anyway!

message 15: by Vally (new)

Vally | 5 comments Has anyone else figured it out? There's someone on another site that's looking for this exact same book. Maybe the name of more characters or something else specific about it?

message 16: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34449 comments Mod
Ah, the fish 'n chips request. You're not the only one who read it that way, MJ. :)

Meka, are you absolutely certain the boy's name was Fish?

message 17: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Vally wrote: "Has anyone else figured it out? There's someone on another site that's looking for this exact same book. Maybe the name of more characters or something else specific about it?"

Vally, do have the link to the other request? Or, copy/paste the description of the book given by the other searcher?

It maybe helpful.

message 18: by Vally (new)

Vally | 5 comments Tab wrote: "Vally, do have the link to the other request? Or, copy/paste the description of the book given by the other searcher?

It maybe helpful."

It's actually how I found THIS thread. The guy on it says that he THINKS the name is Fish, but he says (before a link to this thread was posted): "Sci-fi / fantasy setting. Main character is called Fish i think. He and his people are scavanges and live in a junk yard, junk comes from an advanced race/ group of people that live in an advanced city/tower. Fish's people survive of the scraps of the more advanced people.
There's some kind of conflict, bad things happen, revolution etc."

They then proceed to copy and paste what Meka said in this one. I asked them over there if they remember any other details. They've been searching since June of this year, though. :<

message 19: by Meka (last edited Nov 19, 2015 08:06AM) (new)

Meka | 9 comments If it helps, later books in the series also involve huge beetles that are milked, and people who flatten their foreheads with boards. I think. Maybe a fighting ring? Maybe? But all this is in the sequel(s). And my memory of them is pretty hazy. I can't be sure of any of this which is why I didn't mention it before.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris | 5 comments Love the Outcast Trilogy and reread it constantly!

message 22: by Meka (new)

Meka | 9 comments You sir, are my hero. I can not thank you enough. My two year search is finally over! I now must message all the people from my hometown who I asked and who became similarly frustrated. And also find and re-read the entire series.

message 23: by Joel (new)

Joel Keohane | 3 comments I'll be dammned, it's taken almost 15 years but finally someone knows what this damn book is called! Awesome effort Barry!
Now the only problem is trying to find a copy that's under $100 damn. 1 listed on Amazon for $700+
Book must be as rare as hens teeth these days

message 24: by Meka (new)

Meka | 9 comments You can get it Kobo for about 2 pounds. I'd go digital if I was you.