What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > from mid-90's. puzzle book about having to escape from a castle. NOT usborne-puzzle -

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Germain | 2 comments This is a book where rather you're supposed to discover the right answer on each page to advance. hardcover i think. less than 30 pages. i remember it from the mid-90's. essentially you're a young boy or a young boy and girl trapped in a castle and you need to get out, and on different pages there's differing scenarios. the one i remember most vividly is that there's a room full of weapons and you need to choose the right weapon, which is the grappling hook, to escape out the window. and the very last page is when you get out of the castle, and you see it in the background, and you have to choose which way to escape. the answer is that you go left because there is a flag on the castle blowing to a certain direction, and you have to go against the wind, or whatever. another one.

the story moved from page to page with visual "puzzles" where you have to notice the "correct answer". i remember i loved it because the illustration was a bit darker in tone and creepier than the kid-level cartoons. Another one of the puzzles was something about a hallway with two rows of knights' armor, and something was in one of them.

its not an usborne puzzle book -

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
CASTLE OF FROME by Edward Packard?

Here's the description on Amazon: "Grade 7 Up Packard returns to direct a new multi-book adventure. The Kingdom of Frome is a weird place, but you decide to explore it. Unfortunately, you have just crossed the border when you are captured and imprisoned in the Castle. Using your wits and a set of old maps, you must escape from the six-level fortress and the many fiendish creatures who live there. If you manage it, the Caverns await, deep caves with many rooms and many traps. In each case, there is only one way out, and you can wander endlessly unless you find it. These complicated and involving books can be read independently but are part of a connected narrative."

message 3: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Germain | 2 comments nope, thanks though

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Smith | 51 comments Haunted Castle by Leo Hartas?
Haunted Castle by Leo Hartas

"Readers are in for the fright of the night when they help Jodie and Johnny search for their Uncle Barnaby in the monster-filled halls of Grizzlemyst Castle. The reader chooses an optional path and gets drawn into an adventure where shrieking ghouls, brain-dead drudges, mutants, and torturers appear at every turn."

message 5: by Paige (last edited Aug 10, 2017 06:03PM) (new)

Paige Turner | 1 comments THE CASTLE OF FEAR by Patrick Burston- i got you dude, literally made an account to tell you this. Loved this book when i was a kid.

I know this is like almost 3 years ago, but I kind of hope you never figured it out and I'm the one to tell you.

The Castle Of Fear

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1 comments The Tasks of Tantalon?!!!
Would love to know if that's it because it fits right into your description... there were wizards, weapons, suits of armour and i remember a medusa/gorgon as well...

The Tasks of Tantalon A Puzzlequest Book by Steve Jackson

message 9: by Simi (new)

Simi | 83 comments As Paige suggested four years ago, its almost certainly The Castle of Fear. The scenarios fit exactly, the Grappling Hook, the double row of suits of armour.

message 10: by Kris (last edited Nov 10, 2021 03:17PM) (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
Note: Dustin (OP) was last active on the site in February 2020.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39249 comments Mod
Dustin, are you still looking for this or did you find it?