The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 524 (524 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments

Team Shrek

Team Members:
Kierra - Captain
Cinthia - Cocaptain
Alison
Elizabeth
Pianogirl
Sarah
Anja
Silje
Judith

message 2: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (last edited Jan 25, 2015 01:23PM) (new)

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Armstrong | 27 comments HI All,

I guess I'll be the first to say hello. I'm Liz, I'm English, a science nerd and I'll pretty much read anything as long as it's good. Anyway I'm looking forward to this, so hopefully I'll be speaking to you all soon.

message 4: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1283 comments Checking in and saying Hello! I'm Judy, American (East Coast), an economist, and will also read most anything as long as it isn't junk.

Looking forward to this, it sounds fun!

message 5: by Kierra (new)

Kierra (karmania) Hi everyone!

My name is Kierra, I am Russian, so English is not my first language, but I hope it's ok :)
I am studying IT, but I also enjoy reading, music and art. I am looking forward to this and I hope we'll have a great time!

message 6: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments Kierra - I've sent you a friend request so I can add you to the captains group and get you started with your team spreadsheet. Cinthia is your co-captain and will hopefully check in soon!

message 7: by Pianogirl (new)

Pianogirl | 56 comments Hey team!

I'm Thuridur from Iceland. I'm a nurse but currently studying pharmacology. I love reading and am sure this will be great fun!

message 8: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia (cinthiah) | 308 comments Checking in. :)
I live in Michigan, USA. I'm a stay-at-home mom of three, and I'm looking forward to play this.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 762 comments Hello! I'm Sarah, and I'm also English. I've loved reading since I was a kid and Goodreads definitely feeds my addiction. Looking forward to the challenge!

message 10: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 954 comments Hi all,

I'm Alison and I'm from Scotland. I work a lot but love reading and will fit it in whenever I can. This is my first team challenge so I'm looking forward to it.

message 11: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments Your team spreadsheet including your Feb hands is in message 2
Kierra & Cinthia - please PM me your email address so I can give you edit rights

message 12: by Kierra (new)

Kierra (karmania) Ok, so our first hand is:

1 (One)
Read a book that either:
- has a 1 or One in the title
- has a title starting with O
- has an author first name or surname starts with O
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with O
- is set in a place name starting with O ; or
- is book 1 in a series

3 (Three)
Read a book that either:
- has a 2 or Three in the title
- has a title starting with T
- has an author first name or surname starts with T
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with T
- is set in a place name starting with T ; or
- is book 3 in a series

7 (Seven)
Read a book that either:
- has a 7 or Seven in the title
- has a title starting with S
- has an author first name or surname starts with S
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S
- is set in a place name starting with S ; or
- is book 7 in a series

8 (Eight)
Read a book that either:
- has an 8 or Eight in the title
- has a title starting with E
- has an author first name or surname starts with E
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with E
- is set in a place name starting with E ; or
- is book 8 in a series

Skip
Read a book that either:
- has a title starting with S,K,I or P
- has an author first name or surname starts with S,K,I or P
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S,K,I or P
- is set in a place name starting with S,K,I or P; or
OR you can choose to "skip" reading a book for this cards (and get no points for this card)

Draw 2
Use the same book for two cards in this hand (and get points for both cards)

Wild draw four
Read any book!

Yeah, and don't forget that you have to finish the book after the 1st of Feb :)

message 13: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 26, 2015 04:22AM) (new)

Elizabeth Armstrong | 27 comments HI folks,

I have The Winter Long by Seanan McGuire on my must get around to reading pile. It's book 8 in the series and the main character is called Toby, short for October, so it would be a 3 or a 1 depending if you went with October or Toby and a 8 making it a draw 2 if I'm reading this right. If that's of any use I can move it to the top of the pile? Not sure on the rest. Sadly my brain is still on holiday.

message 14: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 954 comments Hi.

I was planning to read A Shade of Vampire 8: A Shade of Novak by Bella Forrest. That would work for either 7, 8 or SKIP as it's the eighth in a series and both the title and main character start with S.

I'm currently in the middle of Looking for Alaska. I was going to finish it within the next day or so but could slow down and use it for SKIP or 3.

message 15: by Pianogirl (new)

Pianogirl | 56 comments I'm reading The Maze Runner by James Dashner, it's a 1st in a series so could work for 1.

message 16: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1283 comments I'm reading A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. The main character is named Ignatius so it could work for the Skip card.

message 17: by Kierra (last edited Jan 26, 2015 07:23AM) (new)

Kierra (karmania) We still have a week till the 1st of February, so if you finish the book earlier it won't count.
But so far we almost have the first hand: Elizabeth (3,8, Draw2), Alison (7), Pianogirl (1), Judith (Skip)

message 18: by Sarah (last edited Jan 26, 2015 08:25AM) (new)

Sarah | 762 comments I'm nearly finished with The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory, which would have worked for Skip (Author - Philippa Gregory), Eight (Character - Elizabeth Woodville), or Three (Character - Henry Tudor. As they're already covered it could be the wild draw 4 to finish up the hand? I'll hold off on finishing until we're past the 1st of Feb.

message 19: by Anja (new)

Anja | 11 comments Hi - sorry for the late start - I just got the email. I live in Florida, work as an analyst, This is my first reading challenge - and I am excited to get started right away. I am happy that we are an international group as I grew up in Europe!

message 20: by Anja (new)

Anja | 11 comments Here we go...I am currently reading Dorothy Parker Drank Here by Ellen Meister that will fit for #8 (author's first name starts with E) - I have tons of books on my "to read" list - so let me know if I should go for something else instead.

message 21: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 833 comments Hi! I live in Norway, work as a dentist and do a lot of reading in my spare time=) This is my first group challenge, I think it will be fun! I will soon start reading Outlander which can work for both 1 and Skip (the story happens in Scotland). If not I'm already reading The Fairy Godmother and that can cover the 3?=)

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 762 comments Wow, good luck Kierra and Cinthia in finding the best way to use everyone's books! I've had a look at our team spreadsheet to see what hand 2 is, and I have two books I'm currently reading that could fit in there (I usually have several on the go at once).

The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules would fit for a 7 (set in Stockholm), and Moriarty would work for a 4 or a 5 (character Frederick Chase). I think I'll probably finish both by the end of the first week of Feb.

message 23: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia (cinthiah) | 308 comments I've updated the spreadsheet with our attempted first hand. I'm thinking that the best way to handle this will be if we attempt to finish each hand in 2-3 days. 28 days in February divided by the 12 hands is 2.333, so that gives us an idea.

Would it help to assign dates for the hands? Like, 1st hand Feb 1 and 2; 2nd hand Feb 3 and 4, 3rd hand Feb 4-6 and so on? Of course, we may not get a chance to go through all of the 12 hands, so this is just a rough estimate.

I'm thinking that if someone reads a book that fits one of the cards, they should report here (even if it was assigned to someone else for that hand), because we'll have lots of overlaps, and this way we might be able to go through it faster.

Remember that we must complete the first hand before starting the second. :)

message 24: by Silje (last edited Jan 27, 2015 02:19PM) (new)

Silje (sikna) | 833 comments I think we should plan a few hands ahead. If I understood it correctly we can read on several hands at the same time and get points for each book, but we only get the bonuspoints for hands that are completed in the correct order. Meaning we can finish hand 2 before hand 1, but will not get extra points for it untill the first hand is finished. (see the QUESTIONS?-thread for better explanations=))

So I suggest that we plan who's reading what on at least the second hand as well, maybe even the third. That way people can get started early and everyone will have an assignment to work on=)

message 25: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia (cinthiah) | 308 comments You're right, Silje. I hadn't seen that question.
That makes things a lot easier. Kierra and I can update the spreadsheet with the books that you post here, so we can keep track of where we are. :)

message 26: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia (cinthiah) | 308 comments I propose we leave the Wild Draw 4 slots empty for now, since any book will do, and fill it up at the end of the month. What do you think?

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Armstrong | 27 comments I have Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by jonathan safran foer next on my reading list if you need an O for hand 3 as it has a main character called Oskar?

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 762 comments Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close could also be a reverse as I've already read it.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 762 comments Leaving the wild draw four slots empty until the end of the month sounds like a good idea to me.

message 30: by Kierra (new)

Kierra (karmania) Yes, the Wild Draw Four can be filled in the end of the month.

I am finishing The Fiery Heart in a couple of days (7 as the main character is Sydney), so right now we have 4, 5, 0, 2 in the next hands.

message 31: by Pianogirl (last edited Jan 28, 2015 08:08AM) (new)

Pianogirl | 56 comments For hand number two I can read "Dead as a Doornail" by Charlaine Harris for 5 as it's book no. 5 in a series :)

message 32: by Pianogirl (new)

Pianogirl | 56 comments I'm also planning on reading "Be careful what you wish for" by Jeffrey Archer which is book no. 4 in a series so it could be a 4!

message 33: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1283 comments For hand 2 I can read 'Inferno' by Dan Brown since that's the 4th Robert Langdon; which should take care of the card 4 slot.

Hand 3, I can read 'The Art Forger' by B.A. Shapiro which is a stand alone book. taking care of the card 0 slot.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 762 comments It looks like Reverse is one of the harder ones to fill at the moment? In which case, I've just done some checking and Judith has already read The Red Queen, so when I finish it, it could be a Reverse in hand 4, and a Skip or a 2, to use on one of the Draw 2s. Filling in the 3 in hand 2 that it was against should be easier, all those titles that start with "The"!

message 35: by Anja (new)

Anja | 11 comments All - I have so many books that I can read - let me know where we have the biggest challenge and I am sure that I can find something. I am almost done with my current book and are ready to decide on my next one. Otherwise I will start reading "Dorothy Parker Drank Here" - works for 3 or 8. I already have a book if we get a challenge with a 5 or 2 in the title (book is called 52 Likes).

message 36: by Kierra (new)

Kierra (karmania) Anja, Dorothy Parker will be great for 3 in Hand 2.

Ok, so we have first 4 hands planned (almost :)).
I suggest we don't plan the whole month and just see how it goes with these 4 hands.

message 37: by Anja (new)

Anja | 11 comments Kierra - sounds great - I think our group is off to a good start, happy reading everyone

message 38: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 833 comments jepp, it sounds like a good plan=)

message 39: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 954 comments Hi all. It looks like I will finish the book I have for hand one tomorrow morning. I know we weren't going to plan any further but I had a quick look at the list and was thinking I could read Shade of Vampire 9 next. Number 9 in the series and starts with an S so would fit for 7, 9 and draw2 in hand 5. Hope that's ok.

message 40: by Kierra (new)

Kierra (karmania) Hi Alison,
We can always plan further if you finish your reads :)
I will write you in for 7,9,Draw2 in Hand 5.

message 41: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 954 comments Thanks Kierra. I'm on a bit of a reading spree at the moment but I don't tend to plan too far ahead. I'll try to pick things that fit in with the remaining cards.

2 and a bit hours to go for me....exciting!!

message 42: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 954 comments First couple of books done. I finished shade 8 and 9 this morning. I'm about 60% through Free Me at the moment so will probably keep going with that. It fits 4, 5 or 9 (set in New York).

After that I think my plan is 3.10 am by Nick Pirog. It works for 0,1,2,3, and 9 so am sure we can fit it in somewhere.

Also if we are struggling for Reverse I've already read the Maze Runner and all of the Sookie Stackhouse books so either of them could move.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 762 comments I finished The Red Queen this morning - so glad to be able to finish it up and stop waiting for the challenge to start! It can also go back to the library now ;).

I also started Howl's Moving Castle which is book one of a series, so that could replace The Maze Runner as a 1 in hand 1 if you want to use The Maze Runner for a reverse. Or it could be a 6, 7, or Skip (main character is called Sophie), I really don't mind where it goes.

message 44: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 954 comments Sarah, I've heard a few people recommending Howls Moving Castle and I was thinking about reading it too. Let me know if it's any good.

message 45: by Kierra (last edited Feb 01, 2015 10:13AM) (new)

Kierra (karmania) Sarah, I checked The Red Queen and added Howl's Castle as 1 in Hand1. Happy reading :)

Alison, wow, you read fast! I added Free Me as 5 in Hand 6 for now.
As for Shade 9, the book's name is A Bond of Blood, so it can't fit in 7,9,Draw2 like we first thought. I checked it for 9 only.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 762 comments Hi Alison - it's actually a reread, I just didn't have it on goodreads yet, so I can already recommend it, even if the details escape me at the moment! It's been a few years since I read it - maybe even as far back as the dark ages before Facebook! I haven't found a Diana Wynne Jones book yet that I didn't think was worth a reread.

message 47: by Alison (last edited Feb 01, 2015 12:34PM) (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 954 comments Kierra, one of the main characters is Sofia so I think it should still work for the three.A big chunk of it is also set in the Shade (a fictional island) so that would work for 7 too.

Sarah, I'd never heard of the author till I joined Good reads. I might have to try one of her books. Am always looking for new authors to try.

message 48: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 833 comments "the fairy godmother" is done! ☺ I'll start reading Outlander as soon as I get the book☺

message 49: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 833 comments I've also finished "Cast in flame" by Michelle Sagara, it can work as a 6, 7 (surname Sagara), 8 ( the story happens in a city called Elantra) or skip (the maincharacter is named Kaylin) in later hands☺

message 50: by Kierra (last edited Feb 02, 2015 01:33AM) (new)

Kierra (karmania) Alison, main character's name works :)

Silje, ok, I added both of your finished books. Besides I started Fellowship of the Ring , as you have already read it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11