The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 292 (292 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (last edited Feb 26, 2015 06:55PM) (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments

Team Frozen

Team Members:
Alejo (Captain)
Micaela
Valerie
Rhonda
Ana
Nedu
Megan
Brooke
Fiona
Amanda

message 2: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (last edited Jan 26, 2015 01:35AM) (new)

message 3: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 27 comments Checking in!

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan (loveforbooks88) | 41 comments Hello.

message 5: by Brooke (new)

Brooke ♥booklife4life♥ (booklife4life) | 41 comments TEAM FROZEN!
Yay :]

message 6: by Alejo (new)

Alejo  | 41 comments Hi Team!
We're gonna take this challenge and make it ours.
We'll have fun reading.

message 7: by Ana (new)

Ana | 21 comments Hi, I´m so excited to do this!!!!!!!

message 8: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (last edited Jan 26, 2015 01:36AM) (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments Alejo wrote: "Hi Team!
We're gonna take this challenge and make it ours.
We'll have fun reading."

Please PM me your email address so I can share your spreadsheet (edit rights) with you :)

The link for anyone to view is in message 2 which includes your Feb hands

message 9: by Alejo (new)

Alejo  | 41 comments Alright team, the cards have been dealt.
We got a 0,1,5,8,reverse, Skip, and Draw 2.
Any ideas of what you want to read? Please let me know.

Here´s again what this cards mean:
0: Read a book that either:
- has a 0 or Zero in the title
- has a title starting with Z
- has an author first name or surname starts with Z
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with Z
- is set in a place name starting with Z ; or
- is a "stand-alone" book (i.e. not part of a series)

I don't know if you anything in mind here, For this card few books comes to my mind that I have read. I could recomend "Sex in the Title" by Zack Love, it is a comedy Sex in the Title: A Comedy about Dating, Sex, and Romance in NYC I had fun reading that one. Also Big Little Lies Big Little Lies which is a stand alone book. It has comedy and a mystery surrounding a murder in a School events. This a fun and easy read. And if you're like me that likes books that will be on the screen, this book will be a miniseries starring Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherpoon.

1. Read a book that either:
- has a 1 or One in the title
- has a title starting with O
- has an author first name or surname starts with O
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with O
- is set in a place name starting with O ; or
- is book 1 in a series

I would more interested in taking this one, given that I just started ato read Plague of Angels wich if I'm not mistaken has a sequel coming soon.
If you are also interested in this one, please let me know.
If wou like sci-fi, I recommend ORBS . Aliens coming to earth for our resources. I have only read the fisrt book and it was really compelling.

If you like mystery series, perfect time to start a new one.

5: Read a book that either:
- has a 5 or Five in the title
- has a title starting with F
- has an author first name or surname starts with F
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with F
- is set in a place name starting with F; or
- is book 5 in a series

Well if you like Game of Thrones, perfect time to read A Dance with Dragons . Unfortunetly (or not) I already did.

8: Read a book that either:
- has an 8 or Eight in the title
- has a title starting with E
- has an author first name or surname starts with E
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with E
- is set in a place name starting with E ; or
- is book 8 in a series.

Ideas?

Reverse: One member of your team must read a book another team member has already read

Here one again I recommend Big Little Lies. Really good book and we can take two cards with just one book. Any recommendations from you?

SKIP: Read a book that either:
- has a title starting with S,K,I or P
- has an author first name or surname starts with S,K,I or P
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S,K,I or P
- is set in a place name starting with S,K,I or P; or
OR you can choose to "skip" reading a book for this cards (and get no points for this card)

Here someone could read "Sex in the Title", we could gain the points for the SKip, Reverse, and the 0. Just a thought.

Draw 2: Use the same book for two cards in this hand (and get points for both cards)

So this could be any.

Ok team let me know your ideas and what you want. Have fun.

message 10: by Alejo (new)

Alejo  | 41 comments Btw, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Alejo and from today and more year, I'm 23.I love reading, but other activities keep me from reading more. I wish I could drop everything and read, but how would I pay for books then? I like many things, specially languages. Ask away anything you need. Nice meeting you all

message 11: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 111 comments Hi team!! I'm Micaela from Argentina.

If you agree,I will start reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I think it's a good idea because it meets more than one card's criteria:
- number 5 (has an author surname starts with F)
- SKIP (has an author first name starts with K)

so it is useful for "Draw 2" too. what do you think?

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Checking in. I'm Valerie from Colombia :)
Nice to meet you all

message 13: by Alejo (new)

Alejo  | 41 comments Great Micaela, I'll write you down for that boom then. I'm gonna take the card 1.
Team please report with your thoughts and suggestions to make the best of our hands.

message 14: by Alejo (new)

Alejo  | 41 comments Micaela wrote: "Hi team!! I'm Micaela from Argentina.

If you agree,I will start reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I think it's a good idea because it meets more than one c..."

Micaela and that one could even work for the 1. first book in a series.
If is legal.I'll confirm that info

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I'm going to read Brave New World and it works for the 8 card. The story is set in England.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan (loveforbooks88) | 41 comments 8: Read a book that either:
- has an 8 or Eight in the title
- has a title starting with E
- has an author first name or surname starts with E
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with E
- is set in a place name starting with E ; or
- is book 8 in a series.

I'd like to read This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl.

message 17: by Nẹdu (new)

Nẹdu (ndum) | 5 comments Hi, I am Nedu from Canada. I could read Friends with Partial Benefits by Luke Young. I think this works for card 5.

message 18: by Ana (new)

Ana | 21 comments Hi, I´m Ana. I could read Snow like Ashes by Sara Raasch. It works for SKIP card

message 19: by Brooke (new)

Brooke ♥booklife4life♥ (booklife4life) | 41 comments I can read Lies We Tell Ourselves
works for 0: a stand-alone

message 20: by Alejo (new)

Alejo  | 41 comments Valerie and Megan, do any of your books fit in another card for this hand? If not, For now is ok, we can use cards in other hands, but it would be better if could start completing the first ones. Let me know please.

Nedu, same to you, 5 for this hand is taken, can that one be for any other card? The name of the characters or something.

Let's check the spreadsheet above.

message 21: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 111 comments I have a solution for that!
Megan can read "This Star Won't Go Out..." for number 8
and Valerie can read "Brave New World" for reverse, because i've already read it! :)

message 22: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Micaela wrote: "I have a solution for that!
and Valerie can read "Brave New World" for reverse, because i've already read it! :)"

Great! :)

message 23: by Rhonda (last edited Jan 29, 2015 01:06PM) (new)

Rhonda | 27 comments Hi all. So sorry I was gone. I was really sick but feeling better now. What have I missed? What do I need to read for this week?

What is taken and what is left for me to choose from?

message 24: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 111 comments Hi Rhonda. I'm glad you're feeling better!!

Aparently, we have the first hand already complete.
Choose a book for the second one (1,4,5,5,7, Reverse) :)

Remember that we can only count books that are marked as read after the 1st of February. You can start now, though ;D

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan (loveforbooks88) | 41 comments Alejo wrote: "Valerie and Megan, do any of your books fit in another card for this hand? If not, For now is ok, we can use cards in other hands, but it would be better if could start completing the first ones. ..."

Mine is a stand-alone.

message 26: by Valerie (new)

Valerie For Hand 2, I could read 172 Hours on the Moon. It would count for the 1 and the 7 card, so it also counts for the Draw 2 card.

message 27: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 111 comments that's great!

message 28: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 27 comments For hand 2 could I have the 1 please?

message 29: by Alejo (new)

Alejo  | 41 comments Micaela wrote: "I have a solution for that!
and Valerie can read "Brave New World" for reverse, because i've already read it! :)"

Great Micaela I love you!
Do you have that book in goodreads? couldn't find it in your read shelve.

message 30: by Alejo (new)

Alejo  | 41 comments Sure Rhonda, what do you have in mind?
(BTW, hope you're doing way better now).

ANA, the skip for Hand 1 is taken, could we fit it somewhere else? If not, we can start putting in in hand 6.

Let's check the sheet. Let me know about anything.

message 31: by Megan (new)

Megan (loveforbooks88) | 41 comments I could read The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #1) by Charlie N. Holmberg for the reverse card next round. Looks like Valerie read it, and it's on my TBR list.

message 32: by Brooke (new)

Brooke ♥booklife4life♥ (booklife4life) | 41 comments Megan wrote: "I could read The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #1) by Charlie N. Holmberg for the reverse card next round. Looks like Valerie read it, and it's on my TBR list."

i read it too :]

message 33: by Micaela (last edited Jan 29, 2015 07:39PM) (new)

Micaela | 111 comments Alejo wrote: "Do you have that book in goodreads? couldn't find it in your read shelve."

yes, i marked the spanish version "Un mundo feliz", it's in my read and distopía folder. But just to be sure i`ll change it into the English one

message 34: by Alejo (new)

Alejo  | 41 comments Micaela wrote: "Alejo wrote: "Do you have that book in goodreads? couldn't find it in your read shelve."

yes, i marked the spanish version "Un mundo feliz", it's in my read and distopía folder. But just to be su..."

Ah ok, No problem. :D

Awesome Megan, Ill write you down for that one.

message 35: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 27 comments I have lots of series to start, so it would be the first book of a series. I haven't decided which series yet.

message 36: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments Megan wrote: "I could read The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #1) by Charlie N. Holmberg for the reverse card next round. Looks like Valerie read it, and it's on my TBR list."

If anyone is interested, you can still get that and book 2 in the series from Netgalley for free download in exchange for a review:
https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/sho...

message 37: by Rhonda (last edited Jan 30, 2015 07:02AM) (new)

Rhonda | 27 comments Actually, now that I have a good look at hand 2 - I could take 1, 4, or 5.

In the Woods by Tana French - F for French works for 4 and 5 and this book is the first in the Dublin Murder Squad series, so it works for 1 as well.

message 38: by Nẹdu (new)

Nẹdu (ndum) | 5 comments Alejo wrote: "Nedu, same to you, 5 for this hand is taken, can that one be for any other card? The name of the characters or something."

Yeah this could also be for hand 1. It is the first in a series. so draw 2?

message 39: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 111 comments Nedu wrote: "Yeah this could also be for hand 1. It is the first in a se..."

Hi Nedu! Hand 1 is complete (see link in message 2), but I think your book is great for hand 2, because we can use it for number 1, 5 and "draw 2" there.

message 40: by Ana (new)

Ana | 21 comments for hand two I could read A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray, it would be for number 1 becouse it is the first book in a series

message 41: by Ana (new)

Ana | 21 comments and for hand three I could read Snow like Ashes by Sara Raasch also for number 1, because it is also a standalone

message 42: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 27 comments Okay, so I still don't know what card I'm playing for. I am reading the book in my post above. (post 37). It will fall where it may, I guess.

I think I'm just really behind in the communication.

message 43: by Alejo (new)

Alejo  | 41 comments OK Team great, we have Hand 1 and 2 completely full.
Tomorrow the challenge begins.
Thanks you all for your advices on how to fit all the books better. Let's work like a team while having fun reading.

message 44: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Hi All, I've just been added to your group. Is there anything I can do for the first week?

message 45: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 111 comments For the 3rd hand, i've just bought a short story, that would fit perfectly for number 4: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

message 46: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 111 comments Hi fiona!! Welcome to the team :)
You could choose to read a book for one of the following numbers: 1,2,3,9 that would be very useful for our hand 3!

message 47: by Alejo (new)

Alejo  | 41 comments Hi Fiona, welcome.
As Micaela said, take a look at Hand 3, take your pick and let us know.

Micaela, that does short story fits with the requirements? Books must be more than 160 pages.

Gracias por tu ayuda, informando a los demás y tratando de cuadrar los libros en las cartas. ;)

message 48: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 111 comments OH, I didn't know it that!
I'll look for another one ;)

De nada, Alejo, me alegra poder ayudar

message 49: by Megan (new)

Megan (loveforbooks88) | 41 comments Brooke wrote: "Megan wrote: "I could read The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #1) by Charlie N. Holmberg for the reverse card next round. Looks like Valerie read it, and it's on my TBR list."

i read it too :]"

Oops, I meant to say you.

message 50: by Micaela (new)

Micaela | 111 comments Hi team! I've already finish The Pillars of the Earth, for hand 1 :)

I think I'll start reading A Feast for Crows, for hand 3, because it's the 4tH book of ASOIAF

« previous 1 3 4 5 6