The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2015 > Team Nightmare Before Christmas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 612 (612 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (last edited Mar 06, 2015 01:56AM) (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments

Team Nightmare Before Christmas

Team Members:
Abigail (Baltimore) - Captain
Abigail (Hartford)
Allison
Ashu
Cece
Colleen
Kathleen
Trisha
Rosina
Alejandra
Bipul

message 2: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (last edited Jan 24, 2015 06:10PM) (new)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Our team name is the best :P

When will we get our hands?

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 01, 2015 09:19AM) (new)

And introduce yourselves, everybody! :)

Here are links to everybody's UNO shelf.

My shelf for April
Abby's shelf for February and March
Alejandra's shelf for March and April
Allison's shelves for February, March, and April
Ashu's shelf
Colleen's shelves for February, March, and April
Kathleen's shelf
Trisha's shelf for April
Rosina's shelves for February, March, and April

I don't have a shelf because I'll just fill in the gaps left by everyone else.

Our spreadsheet is here. There's also a sheet with every team's current points here.

Rules are here.

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments I'll post you new hands before the 1st so you can plan :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

sounds great! Thanks Karen!

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison | 252 comments Hey, I'm Allison, and I'm from central Canada. I love reading books from almost all genres, though I am partial to adventure and contemporary. Right now I'm reading the Song of Ice and Fire series, and it is amazing!
I also really love The Nightmare Before Christmas, and I'm really excited to be on this team :D

message 8: by just kat (last edited Jan 24, 2015 04:30AM) (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Hello! I'm Kathleen. I read anything that catches my fancy and currently I'm into fantasy.

I may be the only one who hasn't watched The Nightmare Before Christmas though :)

message 9: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Hi Allison! I've been doing cha-cha with the ASOIAF series. I tried watching the series first because some say it's better watching them before reading... so far i haven't joined the bandwagon yet.

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison | 252 comments Hi Kathleen :) I haven't seen any episodes of Game of Thrones yet, but I am slowly working my way through book two right now. Do you prefer one over the other?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I should probably introduce myself, since I'm the captain :P

I'm Abigail (if that isn't already obvious) and I'm from eastern US. I read anything that comes with good reviews (or has a great cover). I have watched Nightmare before Christmas, but it was a looooong time ago. My other hobbies (yes, I do have a life outside of books) include music and sarcasm ;)

message 12: by Allison (new)

Allison | 252 comments Haha Abigail I like how sarcasm is one of your hobbies XD
I also really like music, and I've gotten pretty into knitting this past year :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Trust me, sarcasm is an art ;) and you knit? That's so cool! I would learn but patience was never one of my virtues :) What kind of music do you like?

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Hi,
I'm Colleen. My number of books read may be slightly less, because school has started and some of the books I'm reading may be limited because of school.

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Kathleen wrote: "Hello! I'm Kathleen. I read anything that catches my fancy and currently I'm into fantasy.

I may be the only one who hasn't watched The Nightmare Before Christmas though :)"

Kathleen: I have tried to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas, but never watched more than 10 minutes of it so you're not alone.

message 16: by Ashu (last edited Jan 24, 2015 09:46AM) (new)

Ashu Rocky (ashu_rocky) | 24 comments Hi guys,
I'm Ashu. Well Its "Ashutosh", but Ashu is just fine.. :)
Ummmm.. I kinda runaway from chicklit and romances. Sci-fi, Fantasy, Crime, Mystery, Sometimes even YA keeps me hooked insan short, I'm a Lil choosy randomite.. :P

Allison & Kathleen, Coincidently, Even I'm currently reading ASOIAF series.. :P
I'm at book 3 TSOS
I haven't watched the Seasons though..

And ah, I'm from New Delhi, India. I'm currently pursuing Mech Engineering. Other than Reading, Chatting with people and Sleeping soaks up most of my leisure time.. (Which is not much) *sob*.. I love to travel and trek..

What else? Ummmmm.. Yea.. Even I haven't watched the movie yet.. :P

We'll be victorious.. ;)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

We WILL be victorious because we have ME! ;) just kidding, just kidding

And Colleen, that's totally okay about reading less books, I'm in the same situation :)

message 18: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Allison wrote: "Hi Kathleen :) I haven't seen any episodes of Game of Thrones yet, but I am slowly working my way through book two right now. Do you prefer one over the other?"

I've seen 2 or 3 episodes and haven't read the book yet. I will eventually ;) You know how our TBR gets out of control.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Does anybody have any idea what they might be reading for February? Just so I can plan the hands when they come out. by the way, you can use books you have already started before February 1st (the start date of the challenge) to count toward a card. so don't read too fast, everybody! ;)

And can everybody make a shelf specifically for books read for this challenge and post the link here? Thanks! I should have a spreadsheet up and running soon.

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Here's my list. I should get through all of them but not guaranteed! Although 3 of them are audio so that will help.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 24, 2015 05:47PM) (new)

Great, thanks Colleen! Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a great book :)

message 22: by Allison (new)

Allison | 252 comments I might accidentally finish A Clash of Kings before February starts, but this is my tentative list for next month :)

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments I may have one or two other books to add to my list.

message 24: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Where do we post books read? Will we have a different thread for that?

message 25: by just kat (last edited Jan 25, 2015 05:47AM) (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments I just checked the spreadsheet. I can do "2" on the first hand as I'm reading The Well of Ascension now and might finish it by February. It's the 2nd book in the Mistborn series.

Here's my SHELF for the Uno challenge.

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Abigail wrote: "Great, thanks Colleen! Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a great book :)"

It's my BoTM for another group where I'm a mod.

message 27: by Ashu (new)

Ashu Rocky (ashu_rocky) | 24 comments Here's My Shelf :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks you guys! And if anybody decides to read (or not read) another book during February, please post it here so I don't have to check everybody's shelf every day :)

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments I don't think I'll be reading The Circle

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, Colleen, thanks for letting me know.

message 31: by Abigail (last edited Jan 25, 2015 02:15PM) (new)

Abigail | 14 comments Hey guys, sorry I am just getting around to posting, but I am the other Abigail, you guys can call me Abby.

I will also be reading the Mime Order for sure in Feb

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Great Abby! I will put it on the spreadsheet when I get back to my computer :)

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Add The Lying Game, and if it wasn't on there before Wedding night to my list

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Got it Colleen, doing it right now.

message 35: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments How many books do you read/day?

Do you think we can complete the 12 hands we have this month?

:)

message 36: by Allison (new)

Allison | 252 comments I've been getting slow with my book reading these last few weeks, but I'm going to pick it up once February starts :D so then I'll usually read 100-200 pages per day, depending on how much time I have.
12 hands? I guess we'll see ;)

message 37: by just kat (last edited Jan 26, 2015 05:52AM) (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments I try and read at least 3 books/week. I'm not sure about page count/day though. I know there's some stat here in GR regarding reading speed...

What book will you be reading for the first hand Allison? Have you picked out something already?

Update: Found it. So it seems I read about 200 pages/day.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Really? They have a stat like that? Well, I never update Goodreads while I'm reading anyway, so they wouldn't know my page speed. Anyway, I read about 135 books last year (including DNF books), and I think I'm about on track for 200 books this year. Which reminds me: does anyone know if DNF books count?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Also, I peeked at the other teams' spreadsheets (hehe), and Speed Racer is the only other team that has anything written down there. They've only put in 6 books for Hand 1 and 2 books for Hand 2.

So, basically, we are so going to win. ;)

message 40: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Count to what exactly Abigail? What I did was make a different shelf for my DNF book and made it exclusive. This way, I make sure that only the books I've finished are counted as READ.

For the pages read/day, you can get a rough calculation by going to My Books tab, there's a stat tab. Select pages and it will show how many pages you've read last year.

message 41: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Abigail wrote: "Also, I peeked at the other teams' spreadsheets (hehe), and Speed Racer is the only other team that has anything written down there. They've only put in 6 books for Hand 1 and 2 books for Hand 2.

..."

:) I hope we finish the books we've committed to. From what I understood, we need to finish 1 hand first before proceeding to the next hand for us to claim the full points.

Good luck team!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I meant that if I decide to leave, say, Ticker DNF, could I still count it on the spreadsheet as "read"? Does anybody know?

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments What are the first books we need to read?

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 26, 2015 01:22PM) (new)

Right now, here's what I have for Hand 1:

Colleen: Something Borrowed and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Allison: A Clash of Kings and The Great Gatsby
Ashu: The Martian
Kathleen: The Well of Ascension
Me: Undivided

Oh, and Abby, could you make a shelf with all your books you plan to read for UNO? It would be really helpful.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh, tell me how you like Ruby Oliver! I've heard good things about it. And I will change the spreadsheet right away :)

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Here's the updated reading list with all books I have

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Colleen and Abby! :)

message 50: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (trishak78) | 34 comments Hey all. Sorry I'm a bit late to the game. Busy, busy day. I haven't read over the postings for the hands and I haven't created an UNO shelf yet. Literally first time logging into Goodreads for a couple days. I'll post my shelf once I've looked over everything, but for now as far as introductions go...

Hi! I'm Trisha. I'm from the middle eastern US. I generally read scifi/fantasy/mystery books. I'm usually not one for contemporary, but I generally like the ones I end up reading. And I haven't seen Nightmare Before Christmas many times, but it was my favorite world in Kingdom Hearts.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13