The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,215 (2215 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 44 45

message 1: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (last edited Jan 29, 2015 05:55PM) (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments

Team Betty Boop

Team Members:
Eldarwen (captain)
Annika
Denise
Rachael
Tina
Fairlee
Laura
Snowtulip
Karen

Team Betty Boop Spreadsheet

message 2: by Eldarwen (last edited Feb 26, 2015 01:33PM) (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Another copy of our Betty Boop Spreadsheet as already linked in post above, but just to keep it all together.
Quick link to the Read Me First for the card explanations.

Links to our Uno Challenge Shelves:
Eldarwen's shelf
Annika's shelf
Tina's shelf
Rachael's shelf
Snowtulip's shelf
Denise's shelf
Laura's shelf
Fairlee's shelf
Karen's shelf

Tracking Spreadsheet - courtesy of Karen, our dear mod, so you can check where we're at in the grand scheme of things.

message 3: by Eldarwen (last edited Jan 24, 2015 12:54AM) (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Welcome Team-mates!

With just about a week to go before the challenge starts, let's take the time to get to know each other a little, shall we?

As for me: I live in Luxembourg, a teeensy little country in Europe - and I'm currently watching the snow swirl about beautifully. It doesn't snow here all that much usually.
I read whenever I can and I rarely leave the house without a book. I even read at work *cough* whenever I can get away with it. So depending on how much time, in general, I get, on the size of the book and on how easy it is to devour, I read 3-6 books a month.
My favourite genre is fantasy (recently it's mostly Urban or NA) but I do like a good crime novel from time to time or even a bit of chicklit.

If you could recommend one.. ok, maybe two books to your team mates, which one(s) would it be? Any particular reason why?

Let's boop-oop-a-doop this! :-)

message 4: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments I am so looking forward to this challenge!

I live in Sweden, northern Europe. I read anywhere and everywhere and as much as I can. How much and what I read depends on the mood I am in. I read everything from thrillers to fantasy and romance.
AS for favorite books, that is a really tough one, impossible really. When Reading thrillers I really enjoy Karen Rose and as for fantasy I am currently into Jeanine Frosts Night Huntress series.

Can't wait to get to know you all.

message 5: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Oh Night Huntress is really quite a good series! The second book wasn't brilliant but it gets better again from there on out.
I've only read one of Karen Rose's books so far - "Die For Me" - but I reaaaaally enjoyed that!

message 6: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments We've read the same books it seems :)
The rest of Rose's books are equally good, her first one differs a bit from the rest, but it is still a very good read.
I agree with you that the Night huntress series gets better, but I'm not so sure about the last book either, didn't really like the ending.

message 7: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments The ending was a little odd, yes, but I still think it was a decent way to end the series without going on and on and on.
Good to hear! I already have 3 more of Rose's books sitting on my shelf, so I can't wait to get started :) They're so much bigger though than I thought a crime book would ever be.

message 8: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments oops... somehow I didn't reserve the 2nd message. So instead I've added the link to your spreadsheet to the bottom of the first message!

It includes your hands for Feb

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 9: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments yay, we've got our cards! =)

How do we want to do this, do we want to set up a strategy or do we just add books we're going to read?

message 10: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Thanks Karen!

Alright fellow bookworms, our hands are up!
Please take a look at the first hand and the books you'd like to read this month, then post them here so we can start figuring things out. :-)

Also, to make it a little easier to track it all, please create a shelf for the challenge on your profile and paste the link into this thread. Thank you!

message 11: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments I'm pretty new to this site, and have not yet learnt all the functions and trics. How do I share my shelf?

message 12: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Once you've created it under "My Books", you go to the shelf by clicking on its name, and then you just copy the link and paste it into a comment here.

I'll add the link to the second post so they're all together and easily available.

message 13: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Thanks! Here is the link:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
These are some of my books lying around at home waiting to be read, I can read any of them whenever they fit into the challenge. (A great way to read books that have been lying around for a long time)

message 14: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments One last issue with your shelf though: your profile is private, so only your friends can see it. Could you possibly change your settings to public please? That would be great, thanks!

Otherwise, it'll be very difficult to check whether the book has actually been read, which the moderators will check as well when they verify every team's points.

message 15: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Sorry, I'll change it =)

message 16: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Thanks! :-)

message 17: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments Thanks Annika! Or if you prefer, you can add this mod account and Eldarwen as a friend and switch back to private. Your choice :)

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina | 595 comments I think this challenge will be so much fun!:)

I live in Sweden as well (Hej Annika:)) and my biggest interest is reading books! The favorite genre depends on the mood, but I prefer chick lit, romance and fantasy. I try to read as much as I can, but sometimes life gets in between. I read 2-5 books a month.

I can REALLY recommend You Don't Have to Say You Love Me. I read it a while back, but I still think of it sometimes Another favorite is The Rosie Project.

I’ve created a shelf for this challenge:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
I want to stay private, but you're all welcome to become my friend:)

When it comes to hand 1, I have books to read that qualifies for all of the cards. Just let me know which number(s) that I should concentrate on:)

message 19: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Hello and welcome to Betty Boop!

Thanks for the book tips, and for the link to your shelf! I've added it to the second message for convenience.
As far as books are concerned that I've read a while ago and still think about regularly, then I can only recommend The Night Circus :-)

Good to know you've got books for practically all the cards. Actually, same for me for the first hand (some also qualify for the second hand).

Let's see what the other team members say once they pop in and then we'll see what we start with.

message 20: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Hej Tina, nice to meet you. Where in Sweden do you live?

What about the other way around, do you have a book that was just so awful you still have nightmares about it?

message 21: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Well not really nightmares, but I wasn't terribly fond of The Book Thief. So much hype around it, and so much disappointment on my part. I loved the blurp on the back on the back but the book itself... :-/

And then Hard Times was one of my horror books from literature classes, same as Heart of Darkness *shudder* ;-)

What about your nightmare book(s)?

message 22: by Tina (new)

Tina | 595 comments I live in the southeast of Sweden, where do you live?

I bought The Silent house(Sessiz Ev) by Orhan Pamuk when he got the Nobelprize and I still have "nightmares" about it! There were chapters in it that had 19 pages (!) without a pause (believe me, I counted them). No comma, point or anything. It was exhausting to read!

message 23: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments That does sound like it could give nightmares. Kudos for you on reading it!! ;-)

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina | 595 comments Yes, well, that ended my intention of reading the Nobelprize winners:) It's better to read something you really want to!

message 25: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Haha! Sometimes you really do have to wonder why certain books get prizes ;-)

message 26: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments I live down in Malmö (tvätt-äkta skåning ;) ).

One of my "nightmare" books is actually Wuthering Heights, I was just bored and annoyed out of my mind when I read it.

I agree, sometimes I wonder if it is just a bunch of people saying:
"hmmm, which book should we award this year, anyone read anything (un)interesting that you did not grasp or understand?"
;)

message 27: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hewison (rachhewison) | 459 comments Hi all,

I'm very excited to be part of this challenge! I am from England and I read as much as I possibly can. I average around 3-4 books a month depending on how busy I am and I read all genres. I probably lean more towards thrillers or historical fiction and I'm not as keen on Fantasy but give everything a go.

I have hundreds of books so could match any card. Happy to take an unpopular one.

My book list is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Some of my recent favourite books are Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China and anything written by Derek Hansen but most particularly his Lunch with Mussolini

message 28: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Hi Rachael,

Nice to meet you and to have you in the challenge :)

message 29: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Hello and welcome Rachael!
Glad to have you on board :-)

I think I'm going to start with Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas, because I'm itching to read it - and I'll use it for the "Draw 2" card, so it will be used for 2 and 7 (second book in a series and author name starting with S).

message 30: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments I agree with you, let's start dividing up a few hands / cards :)

I have a few you can add to the list:

For the first hand: Moonglow by Kristen Callihan (Connection nickname Northrup)

For the second hand; add Burning Skies by Caris RoAne for the 2 (second in a series, and it can't really be used as anything else)

Third hand, draw 2: Blind Faith by Rebecca Zanetti (For: 0/3/4 or 9)

message 31: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Alright then, I'll start filling in our spreadsheet :)

I just checked the summary for Firelight and it seemed quite interesting. What did you think of it? Would you recommend it?

message 32: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hewison (rachhewison) | 459 comments Could you put me down for 3 (or wild) in hand one with Tess of the D'Urbervilles

message 33: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments It was a while ago I read it (a year or so), but I did enjoy it. From what I remember off the bat, it wasn't what I was expecting, but in a good way.
I would definitely recommend it :)

message 34: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments I shall put it on my to-read list!

I'll add you for 3, Rachael - I think Wild might be easier to fit in later on. And please let me know what you thought of the book, I've been considering getting my hands on it but wasn't sure.

message 35: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments I read that book in school and quite liked it, I have it on my re-read list.

message 36: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hewison (rachhewison) | 459 comments I will do :)

message 37: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 574 comments Hi Team!!

I was just added, and am excited to start :)

I'm from the United States (New Mexico) and absolutely love to read and ride my bike (not together, I'm not that skilled ;))

I read most everything, although I tend to stay away from horror and thrillers for some reason.

Favorite recent reads have been The Way of Shadows and The Help.

I'll take a look and see which cards we still need, and see what I can contribute.

message 38: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 574 comments Rachael, I loved Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China when I read it many years ago, it's great having that generational perspective.

Eldarwen, I'm going to start Throne of Glass this weekend, so it's great to see you are reading that series :)

Tina, I just added You Don't Have to Say You Love Me to my list, sounds good!

Annika, loved the Night Huntress series, have you tried the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews?

message 39: by Snowtulip (last edited Jan 27, 2015 05:36PM) (new)

Snowtulip | 574 comments My bookshelf - https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

First Hand: 4 - Froi of the Exiles

Second Hand: Either 4 or 5 - Fledgling

message 40: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Hi Snowtulip,
Great to have you on the team, welcome!
That would have been some skill to have, bike in one hand and book in the other ;) Maybe you can try audio books for the ride instead, a bit safer :)
Thanks for the tip, I have to check it out.

message 41: by Eldarwen (last edited Jan 28, 2015 12:04AM) (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Hello and welcome Snowtulip!

The Night Angel Trilogy is so, so, so good!! :-D
So is the Kate Daniels series, at least the first book was awesome and I'm eagerly awaiting my order of the next ones to be delivered!
Mercy Thompson series, anyone?

I'll add your shelf and books to their respective spots, thanks!
That also leaves only the "Wild" card open for the first hand. Well done!

message 42: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments You guys, what are you doing to me? ;)
My goal was to keep my to read list kinda small and managable, but you're all suggesting more and more interesting books and my list is growing exponentially ;)
(How am I ever going to finish my "boring" books that have been lying around at home now?)

message 43: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments good going, then we are on our way to fill our hands.

btw, should we try to "hunt down" more of our team members or do we wait for them to eventually show up?

message 44: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Hahaha, yeah, well, I was recently cleaning out my to-read list and kicked a good 30 books that I knew I was probably not going to read anyway, and I was all happy that it got smaller - until this thread was started. *grin*

All the members who haven't checked in yet have received messages, so all we have to do now is wait and hope they'll appear soon. Otherwise, we'll see about replacement members. Karen is on top of things :-)

message 45: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments haha good to know I'm not the only one with an ever growing to read list :)

Good to know. (btw, I hate waiting) :)

message 46: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Haha, no, definitely not! :-)
Although I'm hoping to rip into that to-read list with the coming books, at least a little.

Waiting is indeed always the worst part. But not long now! And we can start reading a little sooner. No harm in starting to read a little sooner, as long as we don't finish books before February 1st. (A lot of people seem to be doing it that way.)

message 47: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments I was hoping that too, but after this thread - I'm lycky if it remains the same no it is now ;)

That is acctually a good idea, to start reading a couple of books now and finish them on Sunday.

message 48: by Tina (last edited Jan 28, 2015 01:46AM) (new)

Tina | 595 comments Ok, I started Reading Cocktails for Three yesterday, thinking it would suit card 3 in the first hand. But maybe it can work for card 3 in hand 3?
Also, if I understand it correctly, you can put me up for the two fours in hand 2 (Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side) plus Draw 2? Does that work? Otherwise you can put it as the wildcard in hand 1. I also plan on Reading the sequel, Jessica Rules the Dark Side, so card 2 or 4 in hand 3? Or both and combine it with the Draw 2?

message 49: by Eldarwen (last edited Jan 28, 2015 02:26AM) (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments That is perfect!

Tina, both your Jessica novels work for the Draw 2 cards - and I have put them onto the spreadsheet already, as well as Cocktails for Three.
Awesome!

I have also added Heir of Fire for hand 2 (card 7) since I know I'm going to instantly read that once I've finished Crown of Midnight.

Which now leaves "Wild" for the 1st hand and "Wild Draw 4" for the second hand. And those are the easiest cards anyway since we can fill them up with practically anything we want (with a few restrictions on the "Wild" card but still).

For the 3rd hand, we still need a book for card 7 and for either card 0 or card 9, depending on which other book will pop up next to Annika's Blind Faith (which will be either 0 or 9).

message 50: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments You can put me on card 7 with Air Bound

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 44 45