Larry Niven Science Fiction discussion

Best and Worst

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul | 1 comments Hello fellow Niven fans! I see that this group has gone a while without any activity, so I'd like to spark some discussion. I want to know what everyone's most and least favorite Niven story is. As for myself, Ringworld is my favorite and Saturn's Race is my least favorite.

message 2: by William (last edited Sep 06, 2015 01:11AM) (new)

William Bowden | 1 comments I read most of my Niven in the 1980s and early 90s - so although I list him as a top 3 influence, I can't remember the bad ones. But perhaps that's the point - you forget those.

Ring World is my favourite and any Known Space after that - especially anything featuring Pierson's Puppeteers. Not a Kzin fan.

Also the State series and The Mote In Gods Eye.

message 3: by Adam (new)

Adam Meek (thecryptile) Favorites: Juggler of Worlds, Man Kzin Wars 6 (created by Niven, though written by others).
Least favorite: the old Mars stories.

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan | 1 comments Mod
So far I can't really think of a bad one, especially when it comes to Known Space. Ringworld was the very first science fiction book I ever read and is my #1 Niven story. My #2 is A Gift From Earth: this is a story I usually recommend to people who are interested in science fiction, but haven't read any. It's a great story and it reads quickly, which is one of the reasons Niven is my favorite author; he captures your attention and keeps the story moving.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Loney | 3 comments I can only think of a short story which I can't remember the name to that I haven't liked. It was about a man picking up a hitchhiker. The hitchhiker pulls out a knife and the driver decides he's not having it. Anybody else read this one?