To Kill a Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird discussion

classics

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new) - added it

Steven Meyer My goal this year is to read more classics. I of course read them in school, but I'd like to read more. What would your recommendation be on which book to start with, and why do you like the book so much? I realized that I haven't read very many of the great classics.

SB*needs low angst books* Jane Eyre was a really good read. It had romance, secrets, and a very good story. I also saw the movie with Orson Wells and it was a well done story but you of course find out more in the book. Of mice and men was a good read as well.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I found starting with stories I was familiar with through TV or film adaptations and had enjoyed watching was a good place to start.

If you like fantasy then The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings is a good place to start.

HG Wells if you like science fiction.

Wilkie Collins if you like mysteries and gothic stories.

I find Jane Austen very readable but not everyone does.

Others I really enjoyed are Jane Eyre, Dracula, Frankenstein, To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984 and Animal Farm.

Nancy Wright it was an interesting book when my class read it together

message 5: by Thomas (last edited Jan 29, 2015 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thomas Paul There are groups on goodreads that read the classics. They select a different book each month.

You can try this:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Or this:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Even if you don't join the groups you can look at the books they have been reading.

VivelaFrance24601 I personally recommend Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. It is a novella, but still a very interesting read. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite classics I hace ever read and I highly recommend that, too. Little Women is another great book that is highly enjoyable, but it is a bit long, so I only recommend it if you are able to read for long periods of time without becoming bored or irritated.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Things Fall Apart (if you haven't already read it for school) is one of my favorite classics. It is easy to read and understand, and it is so meaningful. And I learned so, so much about the African culture from it. It is also really entertaining and you want to know what happens :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 31, 2015 11:19AM) (new)

The Catcher in the Rye is amazing too :)