What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Vampire of Verdonia
This topic is about The Vampire of Verdonia
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Girl chosen to be sacrificed to vampire in place of princess [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R (new) - added it

R | 4 comments This is a light hearted, funny, children's book.
A girl lives in a village with her Mum & Dad? and her three Aunts who live upstairs and bang there sticks on the floor when they want something.

She wins a medal for good behaviour from the king.

She becomes friends with kings daughter who is very naughty but pretends to be a good girl.

The king has to sacrifice his daughter to Dracula but chooses to sacrifice the main girl in her place.

I hope someone can help.

Thank you in advance!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39882 comments Mod
What year did you read this book? Was it a picture book or chapter book? Describe the style of the illustrations.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Do you remember anything about the cover? What about the writing style--was it a bit dated or more modern?

message 4: by R (new) - added it

R | 4 comments Thanks for the reply. I read it about 20 years ago. It was a chapter book without any photos but I think it had the odd page with ink like rough pictures.

The cover was green, from memory, but I can't remember more about it.

It was quite dated. I remember the village they lived in was fictional and was sometimes like "Gotchem" or similar.

It was a book aimed at teenagers to younger.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39882 comments Mod
R, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 6: by R (new) - added it

R | 4 comments I'm still looking!

message 7: by Ayshe (last edited Sep 30, 2017 06:55AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4272 comments The Vampire of Verdonia?

Description from School Library Journal
Grade 3-5

Setting: The Kingdom of Verdonia, a mountainous, rainy, boring country where nothing ever happens.

Characters: Sarah Jane, the most well-behaved child in Verdonia; Rumbold, her talking cat; Sarah Jane's aunts, three old, ugly, bad-tempered greedy women who abuse Sarah Jane; Princess Louisa, good on the outside, nasty inside; Count Vlad Dracula, Louisa's uncle.

Plot: Tired of being good, even when her aunts beat her, Sarah Jane takes up mischief-making under the secret tutelage of Princess Louisa. This winds up with Sarah Jane being presented to Count Vlad for his dinner. (view spoiler)

message 8: by R (new) - added it

R | 4 comments Wow - that’s it. Thank you so much!! Would never have found that without you. Really appreciate it, Ayshe